Trying to put on new grill!

GreenGuardian

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ford Mustang GT Premium
Anyone in or around the Houston/Cypress area that can get access to a lift and impact wrench? Had my new tires put on last weekend and of course they used an impact wrench for the lugs and now I cant get them off. I was trying to put on my new grills at my house today and now I can't. I have my dewalt tools and pry bar but even they cant get the lugs off. I'm off wotk all week so sooner the better.
Sponsored

Gooner86

ARSENA1
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red V6
Just remove the bumper without taking the wheels off.

MakStang

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.cellentis.uk
First Name
Makis
Vehicle(s)
A 2017 miraculous little beast

NvrFinished

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 DIB GTPP
You don't have to remove the front wheels, but it does make it much easier to reach that one bolt with them out of the way.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
And...

I'd be willing to bet you can't get your lugs off because of the piss-poor, cheap-ass design of the lugs where what many think is a solid metal lug nut but it is actually only an aluminum shell over potmetal steel.

The decorative aluminum shell gets distorted or damaged and when you try to remove them with a lug wrench, the shell will just spin...without ever loosening up the lug. Same happens when reinstalling (which is down right dangerous when you think about it)...

If the corners of your lugs are no longer sharp solid edges, chances are the aluminum shell is damaged. Put a lug wrench on one, using proper sized socket and turn it slowly / does just the shell move? If so, the lugs are garbage and need to be replaced. If you had the prior work done at a Dealer, the lugs should be replaced under warranty (it's a known issue).

Sponsored

NvrFinished

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 DIB GTPP
Yes. And don't be afraid to pull on the inner liner to get your wrench in there.

OP
OP
GreenGuardian

GreenGuardian

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for all the great info guys, much appreciated. By removing the front wheels I was just trying to make the job easier.

I guess that I will just try and get around the wheels by leaving them on and I am definatley going to look into the info lug issue that cobra jet mentioned.

OP
OP
GreenGuardian

GreenGuardian

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
Well, with a lot of hard work and sweat I was able to get the job done today. Let me tell you this.........it was a pain in the ass to get the grills off of the bumper but everything else couldn't have gone any better.
resize.jpg
resize1.jpg
resize3.jpg

kart3l

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15'Mustang Ecoboost PP
Is it possible to swap out the grills by yourself? I will be attempting to replace my ecoboost grills with GT ones, and am afraid if I would need an additional person.

Sponsored

MakStang

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.cellentis.uk
First Name
Makis
Vehicle(s)
A 2017 miraculous little beast
Yes, you can do it on your own. But you will have to remove the bumper.

ronemca

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Vehicle(s)
2016 P/EB w PP
Just my $0.02...

Yes - one person can do the whole job, but it is very difficult to lift off the fascia alone without risking damage. It's not that heavy - it's just awkward.

While there's no argument that the new grill looks great -- and it's gratifying that you completed the work you wanted to complete -- IMO as soon as you identified the lug nut issue you should have re-prioritized your jobs to deal with that before worrying about changing the grill.

Yes - the various screws/fasteners can be removed with the wheels on. But as has been said it's easier with them off.

OP - please follow up here with your lug nut experience/solution when it comes.

Southview

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Herby
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium Convertible
Pm a price for the stock grilles. Shipped to 32955. If you want to sell. Thanks