SpaceCitySpyLLC
Vehicle(s)
Turbo

ied0135

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 DIB EB PP MT
Oof $10. You could probably pick up some nylon from REI or HomeDepot from their bulk section for a fraction of that, just fyi.
Yaaaa and I thought about that...Even looked at just getting a dollar store leash too but... it was hard finding blue. Is that sad that I wanted blue? And it's made for this/has the whole in it already. Meh. $10 ain't gonna break me, not to mention it's $10 for a pair of them.

Sponsored

OySmallFry@SCS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
SpaceCitySpyLLC
Vehicle(s)
Turbo
[MENTION=8319]doulos4jc[/MENTION] and [MENTION=16837]stanger95[/MENTION], hope you guys don't mind. I took your design and development one more step!

I love the idea of a "touchless" trunk pull; I hated the growing row of fingerprints that seem to appear on my trunk like small children with a stainless steel refrigerator door. :rant:

My requirements were
  • no new holes - drilling and self tapping screws are out
  • no marring of the metal - needs nonmetallic washers and/or hardware
  • secure attachment - don't want it rattling loose one day
  • no possibility for rust - lock washers that bite are out
  • easy install - too tight to fit a nut on the end of a bolt in the interior of the trunk frame

After a day of prototype shopping, on my second design - success!
Very scientifically, I tested this contraption by yanking on it HARD repeatedly. So far so good!

Perks:
  • 30 second install
  • no disassembly required
  • OEM nonmetallic fastener
  • Choose your color!

I'm looking into getting materials for a plug and play kit if people are interested.
20150907_204839.jpg
20150907_204846.jpg
20150907_204903.jpg
20150907_205309.jpg

Last edited:

i_74

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ismaeel
Vehicle(s)
white shark
View attachment 35425
Dollar store dog leash, self tapping screw, washer.
doulos4, I love this, but I wasn't a fan of drilling the trunk. so I took your awesome idea and modified it slightly (hope you don't mind)
IMAG0765.jpg
I removed my trunk panel and popped this wire clip,
IMAG0768.jpg
took a 12mm bolt and put it through the leash and tightened it down.
IMAG0769.jpg
I cut a small hole in the panel and pushed the leash through.
IMAG0771.jpg
this is the final result. :headbang:
i will try it :clap2:

jwmraz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura TL
I have a 2004 Acura TL with the built-in trunk handle, so the lack of something in the trunk is annoying. OySmallFry, you had a great idea to use the existing black fasteners in the trunk. I'm not an expert on the hood loops -- is the grommet in the red strap a standard size? I'm curious as to where you bought your strap--is that the one you ordered from China that arrived early?

Thanks for the idea.

Notes

Moustang
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BLACK S550 EB/AT/PP/EU
I wonder if there is a way to attach the strap behind the plastic cap of the trunk lock in the middle?
So when pulling down the pressure is balanced and not coming from the left or right.

Also having the above print/stitch on this one below would be cool!

papinist

The Italian Pony
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stefano
Vehicle(s)
Mustang EcoBoost MT Race Red EURO - NO MORE
I don't think that pressure on a side would be a problem.. many cars have the handle on one side, or both side like my Alfa, and the trunk was always lined correctly.

However I would like something more 'OEMish' like a plastic handle like other cars..

Last edited:

Sponsored

5.0onBoard

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 Black GTPPP
Oy,

Looks like your site is OOS.

I Have some material I can use, where can I find the OEM style fastener?

Thanks!

OySmallFry@SCS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
SpaceCitySpyLLC
Vehicle(s)
Turbo
I have a 2004 Acura TL with the built-in trunk handle, so the lack of something in the trunk is annoying. OySmallFry, you had a great idea to use the existing black fasteners in the trunk. I'm not an expert on the hood loops -- is the grommet in the red strap a standard size? I'm curious as to where you bought your strap--is that the one you ordered from China that arrived early?

Thanks for the idea.
Hey [MENTION=17914]jwmraz[/MENTION], I actually made that strap. I already had the punch, die, and hole cutter. Picked up a role of flat vinyl and took some measurements. It's a 7" strap with 3/8" brass gromet, that length seems to work well. It feels very natural.

That is NOT the existing fastener. The current fasteners pull out with very mild force, go check your trunk and you'll see. I had to shop around for that one - it was an extra long, stepped design with a very snug fit.

[MENTION=18336]OnYourKnees[/MENTION] I'll see if i can find a part number, I believe it was labeled as a GM bumper fastener.

It's only OOS because the parts arrive Friday. I won't sell anything until i know for sure i can deliver :)

jwmraz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura TL
Hey @jwmraz, I actually made that strap. I already had the punch, die, and hole cutter. Picked up a role of flat vinyl and took some measurements. It's a 7" strap with 3/8" brass gromet, that length seems to work well. It feels very natural.

That is NOT the existing fastener. The current fasteners pull out with very mild force, go check your trunk and you'll see. I had to shop around for that one - it was an extra long, stepped design with a very snug fit.

@OnYourKnees I'll see if i can find a part number, I believe it was labeled as a GM bumper fastener.

It's only OOS because the parts arrive Friday. I won't sell anything until i know for sure i can deliver :)
Thanks for clarifying that! I'd certainly appreciate it if you could find the part number/name of the fastener you used and post it when you get a chance. Thanks again.

krahooligan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I would get my fingers stuck in my trunk. ha. but good idea.
Sponsored