Sponsored

Grate in the center of the dash rattling

michail71

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT 401a A10
I've found a few DIY fixes for rattles but I seem to have one on the grate in the center of the dashboard. If I put pressure on it the rattle will stop.

Has anyone fixed a rattle there? Also, what is that piece for? It looks like it could be an air diffuser.
Sponsored

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Which piece - the one that covers the center speaker, or the elongated one that has the defroster vents closest to base of windshield?

OP
OP

michail71

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT 401a A10
Which piece - the one that covers the center speaker, or the elongated one that has the defroster vents closest to base of windshield?
Ah, so it must be the center speaker. I didn't know that is what it was.

I'm going to have the dealer fix it as HUD for the collision warning is also not aligned correctly on the dash. I can see one end poking up.

RevvdMedia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium
Just FYI, to remove that grate, you need to first remove the trim with the vents, then you can pull up the grate. It's easy to lose the retainer clips down there too, lol.

geep81

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Glenn
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Premium
Hello and thanks for the help in this thread specifically. I am chiming in with my progress on this same issue - defroster trim piece rattle.

To be clear on my issue, if I parked the car in the sun on a hot day and then turned AC on later it would rattle like crazy for 5-10 minutes. Once temp was normalized it would stop chattering. I could place my hand on the defroster panel and make the noise stop, repeatedly, over a couple months of dealing with this this summer. One day I drove with a little pick tool wedged under it and it seemed to alleviate the issue entirely, so I am convinced it is this trim piece.

I tackled removal of all the dash pieces to get at this yesterday. I took my time and used trim tools to remove everything. Toughest bit was the A pillar but once I realized you have to angle it out towards the dash I got them out pretty easy.

Using trim tools was clutch, I did not break or lose a single clip. I did not brute force but instead slid the tools in and applied gentle pressure until the clips released.

Attached is a photo of my defroster trim piece. You can see there is felt tape on every other "fin" at parts - leads me to believe these are the areas making contact, since Ford applied tape to part of it.

I have applied thin foam tape to all the other fins and some other parts as well, and have re-installed this. I am currently letting my car bake in the sun and then am going to run a test later today with the AC and driving to see if this solves it.

I had a 2019 Mustang that did not do this at all.

When I was re-installing the defroster trim piece at first it was fairly difficult to get it aligned back in place. I learned you kind of flex it so the back connectors pop in at the narrowest part of the windshield, then I used my trim tool pieces to push each clip in place and gently pressed it in one by one.

I am leaving my dash in pieces for a few days to verify I solved this before I put back. I am also going to felt tape more areas in the A pillars and perhaps under the trim pieces just cuz I think it can't hurt, since I have everything apart.
5C2BCCAF-5674-46D9-91A0-E8628AAC32E7_1_105_c.jpg

I used this thread for a lot of info about how to get at this trim piece - #19

Sponsored

geep81

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Glenn
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Premium
Updating from yesterday, I left it out in the sun all morning and drove with the AC blasting at lunch. No chattering at all that it would normally do. I left it outside the rest of the day and drove it around after work to the park and such, and it was totally silent, even with half my dash still disconnected. The hot/cold cycle did not make it creak at all this time.

I am going to drive for a few more days before I finish re-assembly, but I think it's fixed. I will post here again if it comes back.

RasJeremy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ras
Vehicle(s)
Mustang 5.0 2020
I am going to drive for a few more days before I finish re-assembly, but I think it's fixed. I will post here again if it comes back.
Can you post a picture of your dash to show how much you've taken it apart to get out the trim piece you've pictured earlier? :like:

geep81

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Glenn
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Premium
Can you post a picture of your dash to show how much you've taken it apart to get out the trim piece you've pictured earlier? :like:
Here you go. You have to take off the A pillar trim to do everything as far as I went with it. So I felted everything up while I was in there.

My car has been extremely on whole levels quieter since I did this. It did solve the issue I was originally experiencing as well. There are still some rattles/vibrations, I believe from the pieces just touching eachother. If I was doing it again maybe I'd put thin thin thin pieces of felt where the parts all touch, and not just on clips etc. I am still 10x happier with what I did than before.
IMG_1866.jpg
IMG_1890.jpg
IMG_1871.jpg
IMG_1867.jpg
IMG_1870.jpg
IMG_1872.jpg

RasJeremy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ras
Vehicle(s)
Mustang 5.0 2020
@geep81 Thanks - and great pictures of it all!
I certainly hope I won't have issues with rattles but it doesn't seem to be bad to take all these parts off and reassemble when fixed

Matti777

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matthew
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
I just removed the glove box side piece and the big engine scroll dash piece that goes over the vents and slid a 3"x3" (approx) piece of sound deadening under the plastic speaker cover and over the speaker. Problem solved.

Sponsored

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Hello and thanks for the help in this thread specifically. I am chiming in with my progress on this same issue - defroster trim piece rattle.

To be clear on my issue, if I parked the car in the sun on a hot day and then turned AC on later it would rattle like crazy for 5-10 minutes. Once temp was normalized it would stop chattering. I could place my hand on the defroster panel and make the noise stop, repeatedly, over a couple months of dealing with this this summer. One day I drove with a little pick tool wedged under it and it seemed to alleviate the issue entirely, so I am convinced it is this trim piece.

I tackled removal of all the dash pieces to get at this yesterday. I took my time and used trim tools to remove everything. Toughest bit was the A pillar but once I realized you have to angle it out towards the dash I got them out pretty easy.

Using trim tools was clutch, I did not break or lose a single clip. I did not brute force but instead slid the tools in and applied gentle pressure until the clips released.

Attached is a photo of my defroster trim piece. You can see there is felt tape on every other "fin" at parts - leads me to believe these are the areas making contact, since Ford applied tape to part of it.

I have applied thin foam tape to all the other fins and some other parts as well, and have re-installed this. I am currently letting my car bake in the sun and then am going to run a test later today with the AC and driving to see if this solves it.

I had a 2019 Mustang that did not do this at all.

When I was re-installing the defroster trim piece at first it was fairly difficult to get it aligned back in place. I learned you kind of flex it so the back connectors pop in at the narrowest part of the windshield, then I used my trim tool pieces to push each clip in place and gently pressed it in one by one.

I am leaving my dash in pieces for a few days to verify I solved this before I put back. I am also going to felt tape more areas in the A pillars and perhaps under the trim pieces just cuz I think it can't hurt, since I have everything apart.
5C2BCCAF-5674-46D9-91A0-E8628AAC32E7_1_105_c.jpg

I used this thread for a lot of info about how to get at this trim piece - #19
I have the exact same experience with my car. Thanks for giving me some direction with fixing it. Unless it bakes in the sun, it's quiet.

geep81

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Glenn
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Premium
I just removed the glove box side piece and the big engine scroll dash piece that goes over the vents and slid a 3"x3" (approx) piece of sound deadening under the plastic speaker cover and over the speaker. Problem solved.
My issue was not coming from there, it was the defroster piece up closest to the window. The center speaker is much easier to get to - just 3 trim pieces (small corner next to glovebox, main piece with air vents, and speaker cover panel. With trim removal tools those are off in about 5 minutes by an amateur like me!

geep81

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Glenn
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Premium
I have the exact same experience with my car. Thanks for giving me some direction with fixing it. Unless it bakes in the sun, it's quiet.
Very interesting. I recently had a 2019 GT Premium before this that Ford bought back, and it did not have this issue at all after 10 months of ownership. Makes me wonder if the tooling is starting to wear out for some of the trim pieces thus making the 2020s a bit looser. Total random speculation.

I saw a photo of the defroster piece from a 2015, and it has foam pads at the exact same places. My initial thought was Ford cheaped out somewhere, but it seems like it's been the same from my amateur investigation.

If you tackle this project, look at this post here for a diagram of the dash it helped me a ton - #19. Knowing the exact things I had to do to remove it helped me not break anything lol.

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Very interesting. I recently had a 2019 GT Premium before this that Ford bought back, and it did not have this issue at all after 10 months of ownership. Makes me wonder if the tooling is starting to wear out for some of the trim pieces thus making the 2020s a bit looser. Total random speculation.

I saw a photo of the defroster piece from a 2015, and it has foam pads at the exact same places. My initial thought was Ford cheaped out somewhere, but it seems like it's been the same from my amateur investigation.

If you tackle this project, look at this post here for a diagram of the dash it helped me a ton - #19. Knowing the exact things I had to do to remove it helped me not break anything lol.
Very plausible. I tested mine on the way to work today, if I press to the upper left corner of the left most vent on the vent trim, right near the speaker grille. The rattle stopped completely when I pressed there. So I don't think I have to go as far as you did. I'll tear into it tonight and update if it's fixed.

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Looks like you have the same vent and gauge rattle I (and many others) had. VERY EASY to fix. I did it with a rubber washer I had laying around. Cut a small piece, and shoved it above (at 12 o'clock) the vents and gauges with a thin plastic trim tool, and problem solved 100%. I actually tried to fix it from the inside, when I installed the GT350 gauges, putting foam tape all over, and didn't fix it. So no need to remove anything at all. Hope this helps.
Sponsored