Sponsored

Adding quad tips to the Stock premium Valance.

HISSMAN

Large Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Oxford White GT/PP Premium
Some said that it could not be done!
Some said that I was wanting the impossible!
Some said that they were vegan!!

It was all untrue!

First, I would like to thank [MENTION=32658]N17[/MENTION] for the inspiration.

Total time from start to finish was about an hour. My total investment, since I had the tools and trim piece was around $58.00
tools needed
  • Appropriate sockets size for clamps
  • Socket wrench
  • Dremel with cutting wheel
  • Snips to clean up any rough edges
  • Steel file. To finely clean up the edges
  • Rubber trim piece (See link)
  • Center clanged dual exhaust tips of an appropriate length width and height for what you are looking to achieve.

First, here is a before and after shot.

2zi7tox.jpg

Next up, remove the stock tips.

11jby8h.jpg

This is one of the tips that I am replacing the SLP single tip with. The cost of this tip is $28.99 with shipping and is sized to slip over a 2.5" exhaust. The only issue I had was clamping it down. It had no relief cuts in the tip to allow for the clamps to compress it. So, to fix that I just made a two 1" long and 1/8th" wide slices on the top and bottom of the flange. No big deal, especially considering the quality and price.

LINK to the dual tip
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/jex-jst123/overview/

2vxpoj4.jpg

• Now I lined the tips up as best as possible and placed a few reference marks on the valance where I thought it would be wide enough, making sure to not go too large. You can always remove more material, but you can't add it back.
  • Once I did that, I freehanded the shape with a sharpie, then taped it off. The tape is to help keep you on the right path as it will help guide the cutting wheel.
  • I used 1/8th" wide tape to do the initial outline, then followed up with 1" painters tape to help keep the thinner tape planted.
  • Once I had the first side cut out, I then flipped it over and used it as a template for the other side.

2885lia.jpg

A shot of the trim piece that I used and link to where I found it on Amazon. So far I have driven the car about 40 miles, included about 30 minutes of a standstill traffic jam. There has been zero issues with the trim piece. It should be able to handle north of 250°F of direct contact, and I doubt it will ever see anything close to that.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B019CUXPHS/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

21m55cl.jpg

Now install the trim piece and slip the new tip into place for a test fit. If you need to remove any more material, mark it now then remove everything and make careful cuts.

1zptu6f.jpg

Finally,
Enjoy the beauty and compliments that you get.

z1v01.jpg

-Jeff
Sponsored

Last edited:

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
Looks great Jeff!

Is there a particular one that most people are referring to when they say Dremel? I know it is a brand, but it seems like there are a lot of levels and bundles.

Be interested to see someone else try this on a base model as well, I know it's been done but haven't seen many pictures. My original plan was to put on GT500 quad tips, but no shop wanted to cut the rear bumper cover and I don't have the tools.

edit » here are a couple tip options for black: 3" in, 4" tips, 2.25" in, 3.5" tips

Last edited:
OP
OP
HISSMAN

HISSMAN

Large Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Looks great Jeff!

Is there a particular one that most people are referring to when they say Dremel? I know it is a brand, but it seems like there are a lot of levels and bundles.
Thanks bud!

Something like this will work. The key term is rotary cutting tool. I have a cordless Milwaukee rotary tool. Just get a package of cutting disks. I went through two. I believe that this kit actually comes with two of them anyway.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Dremel-100-11-Piece-Rotary-Tool-Kit/50037162

Rc18

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Vehicle(s)
6mt-rc-18eb
Vehicle Showcase
Great write-up!

The only thing constructive I have to ad? Watch out for hot flying plastic from the dremel cutting wheel:tsk: from someone who cut on their own stock rear bumper to vent it&ad a custom diffuser, plus opened the upper&lower grilles&side vents. That hot plastic leaves behind nasty little burns and gets literally everywhere. So I wore long sleeves, safety glasses, ear plugs&a breathing mask after the first few minutes:D

Oh yeah and eBay has a crap ton of good looking tips for cheap not just the Chinese stuff either. My rolled edge slash cut burnt 3.5" cost $25.99 shipped for both. And made here in the U.S.:headbang:

Oh and to the op, this is true modding brother:cheers:
Don't forget to resell those good looking stock tips.

Last edited:
OP
OP
HISSMAN

HISSMAN

Large Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ha ha! I am going to clean them up and post them FS later this evening. ;-)

Sponsored

MasterCylinder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
(sold)17 GT
Sick

wireeater

Threads
Reaction score
Website
wheelwell.com
First Name
Rich
Vehicle(s)
Shadow Black 2019 Mustang GT Premium+ PP 6spd
SON OF A BITCH. I wish I saw this thread before I sold my other car and got my 18 just for the quad tips! :(

OP
OP
HISSMAN

HISSMAN

Large Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SON OF A BITCH. I wish I saw this thread before I sold my other car and got my 18 just for the quad tips! :(

Ha ha! .. Tell me you are joking... You have all the horsey powerz now!

OP
OP
HISSMAN

HISSMAN

Large Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
They would be useless because I had to do some extra trimming.. :(

Sponsored
OP
OP
HISSMAN

HISSMAN

Large Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks! I am loving it! I am OCD about fit and finish, and it came out OCD approved.

clevernickname

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Magnetic Mustang GT, 2016 camaro ss (gfs), 2015 range rover sport, 2013 ford explorer, 2017 WRX
Anyone know if this would work with roush axle back exhaust?

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
Works about the same with any exhaust. The tips on the Roush are clamped on. Loosen the clamp off, remove tip, mock mount up to see where the tips would be and cut enough to fit, mount up and enjoy :D

The hard part is the cutting of the rear valance though.
Sponsored