MGW shifter boot

BlueDevil2016

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT DIB
Did those with the MGW shifter have a problem installing the shift boot over the top base of the shifter. It's such a tiny area and I don't have the biggest hands but I cannot get in there to wrap around that. Any ideas? Thanks
Sponsored

blueovals550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Magnetic 2017 GT350
Get someone to help you. You sit in drivers seat and them in passengers seat. Both of you grab boot and stretch out bottom boot hole. Two hands on each side of boot hole. I had my wife help me. The thing is a royal pain in the ass but once i called for help it went on pretty easy. I am sure there is a way one person can do it. I even called George at MGW and did everything he told me to do. I am sure George can put a boot on in like 30 seconds by himself. LOL

OP
OP

BlueDevil2016

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT DIB
I know when I watched the video it looked like he just threw it on no problem. Now I'll have to get the wife to help, thanks for the idea!

scottycameron

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP1 Orange Fury
I did mine this weekend, twice actually because I needed to re-adjust the reverse lock out pin.

The trick is to turn the boot inside out and unroll it onto the shifter body. you will need your trim removal tool to help it push past the body opening but it's a piece of cake. I got the boot on in 5 minutes the 1st time and about 2 minutes the second time.

Reactions: dx2
OP
OP

BlueDevil2016

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT DIB
Thanks, that's a good tip to know for future reference in case I have to ever adjust the reverse lock out

dx2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dennis
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT PP1 Velocity Blue
I did mine this weekend, twice actually because I needed to re-adjust the reverse lock out pin.

The trick is to turn the boot inside out and unroll it onto the shifter body. you will need your trim removal tool to help it push past the body opening but it's a piece of cake. I got the boot on in 5 minutes the 1st time and about 2 minutes the second time.
Oh yes, thank you from me as well. Installing the boot like that changed it from impossible to effortless. Additionally I fixed with with a zip tie.
Sponsored