DIY 18' manifold swap into 15-17'

OP
OP

S550MG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 S550
You say it voids the warranty of the engine, but is that because you did the install yourself, or because the intake manifold inherently voids it despite who does the work? I have friends at a local dealership and I was told they would do the job for me if I brought it down there. I want to retain warranty. I was going to add the power pack 2 so that it would be tuned.
It will void your warranty for several reason, it doesn’t matter who does the work. The only way it wouldn’t void your warranty is if Ford decided to release a mod package including the 18’ manifold. Any mod or tune that isn’t backed by Ford and installed by a dealer will void parts or all of your warranty.

Edit: I don’t mean brakes and a/c stuff. Only items related to said mod.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Kahboom

Kahboom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GTPP, Recaros/2014 Explorer Sport 4X4
No warranty is voided unless it is proven that it was related to the failure in question. So if your brakes go out and you put an exhaust on you would be covered. A intake manifold isn't going to put major power down. Some dealers don't question lots of mods while some won't warranty anything that has intake or tune. Just depends on dealer and what fails. A good rule is if you can't afford to get it fixed without the warranty should you really mod it to begin with.

OP
OP

S550MG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 S550
No warranty is voided unless it is proven that it was related to the failure in question. So if your brakes go out and you put an exhaust on you would be covered. A intake manifold isn't going to put major power down. Some dealers don't question lots of mods while some won't warranty anything that has intake or tune. Just depends on dealer and what fails. A good rule is if you can't afford to get it fixed without the warranty should you really mod it to begin with.
While this is true it’s not entirely accurate. I worked for dealerships as a service writer and manager for nearly 15 years, and we were more on the “mod friendly” side. The dealer I use now for my Mustang is fairly lenient as well. That being said, if I go in there with a burned up piston they’re not going to cover it, even if they wanted to. They would be afraid of Ford getting involved and charging them back for the repair. The dealer is more worried about maintaining their relationship with the Ford than they are a customer with a modded car. That’s how warranty works, Ford pays the dealer for the repair, if it’s legit. You might be able to find a dealer that would warranty an engine issue if you had a tune and manifold swap but I seriously doubt it. Probably less than a 1% chance.

Cream Puff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
in the market

I see this thrown around a lot on the internet and unfortunately thats not really the way it works. Unless you have a lawyer you're going to be very hard pressed to get ford to cover a repair that they dont want too. And even then your time/energy/legal bills are likely going to cost much more than the repair in the first place.

Now I do agree with the rest of your statement, if the systems are completely unrelated then ford is going to cover you obviously.

However an aftermarket tune and manifold replacement should only be done by someone that understands ford would most likely void any warranty on the rest of the engine if something was discovered to be wrong. Especially the tune part, thats a super easy instant void anything engine failure related.

Olivas

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ernest
Vehicle(s)
2015 CO GT w/PP
Very nice! :thumbsup:

Sponsored

Mdavis.geo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT-CS Triple Yellow
Thanks for putting this thread together. I just ordered an 18 manifold with the imrc adapter harness! I was wondering if anyone knows if using a CAI for an 18 would fix the alignment issue?

OP
OP

S550MG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 S550
Thanks for putting this thread together. I just ordered an 18 manifold with the imrc adapter harness! I was wondering if anyone knows if using a CAI for an 18 would fix the alignment issue?
No problem. To answer your question about the CAI, it will depend on which brand you choose. My BBK has a smaller tube than some and there was enough room in the coupler to angle the tube down a bit. I didn't have any clearance issues at all. YMMV. If you have a CAI that has clearance issues you might be able to find an angled coupler, like a 10-15 degree angle should be good.

DHs550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Check Engine Light

I followed your install guide and I’m still throwing a check engine light. I pulled the DTC codes on my SCT X4 and I’m getting a P2014 and a P2019. I was wondering if you had the same issue and if so, what’d you do to resolve it. Thanks in advance.

BULL1TT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang GT, 2001 Bullitt
I followed your install guide and I’m still throwing a check engine light. I pulled the DTC codes on my SCT X4 and I’m getting a P2014 and a P2019. I was wondering if you had the same issue and if so, what’d you do to resolve it. Thanks in advance.
You have to have a custom tune to turn off the check engine light. The ecu thinks that your imrc's are stuck.

Sponsored

BULL1TT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang GT, 2001 Bullitt
In that case, I would say that you may have some wires crossed up or a problem with vacuum line routing.

OP
OP

S550MG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 S550
I'm not familiar with those codes. What are they specifically? I was getting a P2008/2011 which is an open cicuit code from one of the blue plugs left unplugged. After splicing the blue connectors in parallel my CEL was gone.

Have you datalogged and sent it to Lund? Could be in the tune as well.

EODTech87

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium
Those codes are for the IMRC Sensors which are the 3 pin connectors that you had to cut and solder new ends onto. Double check your wiring and ensure they're wired correctly.

OP
OP

S550MG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 S550
Those codes are for the IMRC Sensors which are the 3 pin connectors that you had to cut and solder new ends onto. Double check your wiring and ensure they're wired correctly.
Did you solder in the pigtails or use the plug and play harnesses?

DHs550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Spliced the pigtails in. I’m going to go back this weekend and make sure they’re in the right order
Sponsored