Sponsored

2019 GT500 Mustang New Spy Video, Pics, Info

ttime500

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Corvette Z06
Specifically with compressors there must be a reason it hasn’t been done yet.

Racing tends to breed technology, so why hasn’t a carbon reiforced plastic been used in elite levels of drag racing? This is our answer.

It may be like I said, as simple as incompatibility of materials for thermal expansion.

In my studies (Stationary/Power engineering) we get into metallurgy but not at the depth to properly answer why it hasn’t been done. I can speculate though.

Ya that I don’t know. I would guess like you said thermal expansion and heat. I’ve seen CF blocks and engines being reproduced but I’m sure there not capable of handling track car like heat.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.to...w/meet-fords-carbon-fibre-ecoboost-engine?amp
Sponsored

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I really like the R wing design.

1. It's beautiful
2. It's more of an air foil and not a wall/scoop blocking the wind. My "feeling" is that it is an efficient shape in terms of not creating a high amount of drag relative to how much down force is created.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Specifically with compressors there must be a reason it hasn’t been done yet.

Racing tends to breed technology, so why hasn’t a carbon reiforced plastic been used in elite levels of drag racing? This is our answer.

It may be like I said, as simple as incompatibility of materials for thermal expansion.

In my studies (Stationary/Power engineering) we get into metallurgy but not at the depth to properly answer why it hasn’t been done. I can speculate though.
1. Tolerances - rotating shaft tolerances have to be very, very tight for the screws
2. Heat rejection - the intercooler works in concert with the compressor housing to pull heat from the air
3. Cost - Something strong enough would be already a lot pricier than they already are
4. Fatigue properties - constant expansion and contraction, along with thermally driven of the same, aren't great with non-homogeneous materials like composites

The one thing they could definitely look at is CGI (compacted graphite-iron) housings. Many modern diesel engine blocks have this, as does the combustion chamber section of the Ford 2.7L and 3.0L EB engines.

Darkane

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Base
Ya that I don’t know. I would guess like you said thermal expansion and heat. I’ve seen CF blocks and engines being reproduced but I’m sure there not capable of handling track car like heat.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.to...w/meet-fords-carbon-fibre-ecoboost-engine?amp
Unfortunately that article is misleading. Can’t do carbon blocks or internals.

Engineers focused on five main components: the cylinder block, cylinder head, connecting rods, front cover and oil pan resulting in an overall weight saving of 15.5 per cent - or 13kg. Doesn’t sound like much, we know, but Ford claims an improvement in fuel economy of around 4.5 per cent. Oh, you’re listening now.

While the front cover, oil pan and cam-carrier are all made from injection-moulded carbon-fibre, the connecting rods are actually switched to forged aluminium and the cylinder block to aluminium with powder metal inserts on the important load paths.

But they managed a good savings of 13kg from a small three cylinder.

ttime500

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Corvette Z06
Unfortunately that article is misleading. Can’t do carbon blocks or internals.

Engineers focused on five main components: the cylinder block, cylinder head, connecting rods, front cover and oil pan resulting in an overall weight saving of 15.5 per cent - or 13kg. Doesn’t sound like much, we know, but Ford claims an improvement in fuel economy of around 4.5 per cent. Oh, you’re listening now.

While the front cover, oil pan and cam-carrier are all made from injection-moulded carbon-fibre, the connecting rods are actually switched to forged aluminium and the cylinder block to aluminium with powder metal inserts on the important load paths.

But they managed a good savings of 13kg from a small three cylinder.
I missed that when I first read it. I’ll have to find the article that I read where they did make a block out of CF (I think in C&D). One issue was it had to be heavily layered and that meant like 80% more man hours to do. It’s something maybe that could happen in smaller cars with much less heat, but I don’t see it in sports cars soon. However they could cut weight by using CF on a lot of the other parts in the engine bay. Did you read the article or look at the company that did the all CF gt350 body? They claim it cut over 400lbs.

Sponsored

Stage_3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Roush Stage 3
In all honesty and (matter of opinion), I seriously hope the new GT500 is like the 2013/2014 Shelby GT500 cars, but only with more power/torque and be able to apply it.

ttime500

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Corvette Z06
In all honesty and (matter of opinion), I seriously hope the new GT500 is like the 2013/2014 Shelby GT500 cars, but only with more power/torque and be able to apply it.
I kind of think that’s what you’re going to see. But with an optional DCT, bigger and stickier tires, and I think they’ll put (I hope) some real engineering into the rear end and how to keep it planted so it’s not just a burnout machine. I’m thinking maybe a trick TC system (something kind of like the amg Gt r) and hopefully a good LC/dragstrip mode.

Stage_3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Roush Stage 3
I kind of think that’s what you’re going to see. But with an optional DCT, bigger and stickier tires, and I think they’ll put (I hope) some real engineering into the rear end and how to keep it planted so it’s not just a burnout machine. I’m thinking maybe a trick TC system (something kind of like the amg Gt r) and hopefully a good LC/dragstrip mode.
I think so too. That would be great. :thumbsup:

DrumReaper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1971 429CJ Mach 1, 2012 Boss 302
How much do you think that will cost?!?!?
lol :lol:
Sounds like nothing, since per the demands labeled out by BmacIL and the lack of current techno to apply CF in that application.

Actually, just trying to think outside the box. As long as we stay inside such boxes, we’ll be limited to what can be achieved... and how much would that cost?:confused:

Sponsored

Stage_3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Roush Stage 3
Sounds like nothing, since per the demands labeled out by BmacIL and the lack of current techno to apply CF in that application.

Actually, just trying to think outside the box. As long as we stay inside such boxes, we’ll be limited to what can be achieved... and how much would that cost?:confused:
I don't know, you tell me. :confused:
Car companies figure it out so, they'll just pass the cost onto the consumer. Right?

machsmith

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Minis

Yep and I’ll love the DCT. Just mash and hold on. The traction control on the 350 is way ahead of the past gen GT500... just worlds better IMO.
Still the 350 wheel hops like crazy in certain conditions. Usually when temps are down but I’m not sure it’s an all rubber thing.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Yep and I’ll love the DCT. Just mash and hold on. The traction control on the 350 is way ahead of the past gen GT500... just worlds better IMO.
Still the 350 wheel hops like crazy in certain conditions. Usually when temps are down but I’m not sure it’s an all rubber thing.
CB005. BK055 also.

machsmith

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Minis
Hoping ford takes care of the bushing issue on this one.
Sponsored