Sponsored

2019 GT500 Mustang New Spy Video, Pics, Info

DHG1078

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Mustang Bullitt, 1985 Mustang Hatch
Just read this article about an all carbon 350 and they say it saves over 400lb. It cost 65k from the aftermarket company, I would think Ford having all the patterns and parts could do it for 1/4 or less if they wanted to.

http://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars/car-technology/a10316208/shelby-gt350r-carbon-fiber/
Absolutely they could. It cost this company 65k to make 1 car. Ford would be able to spread the cost over 1000's of cars. Hell, even 100k if they decided to put it on the ecoboost and GT models. Economies of scale are our friend. What the exact cost would be, who knows. It still depends a lot on material cost, labor, and time to produce each component depending on how they decide to make it.

Lamborghini has given statements on designing carbon fiber subframes, and the difference in cost across different amounts was astounding, even for a $400k car.

Yeah, they probably wont offer that in this chassis but would be nice if they used carbon fiber in place of heaviest components and economicaly build them. Say 100 lbs reduction for maybe 8k. Still almost $100/lb
Id be better off going on a diet.
Carbon fiber chassis take too long to build. I don't think there is an all carbon fiber chassis car that sells for less than 200k new. They could shave 100 pounds with carbon fiber for less than 8k.

I think they could do better if they mixed in more aluminum. I think for 10k they could cut 200 lbs or so, the question is do they care that much and so they think the customers are willing to pay for it.
They could shave 200 pounds for far less than 10k, especially if they use aluminum in the chassis. Ford claimed switching to aluminum in the F150 only added about $1000, and that saved 500-700 pounds on a truck, even with a beefed up frame and extra technology and interior upgrades.

I hear you man, id love to have the weight reduction. I think all aluminum will be coming next chassis. Dont know what they will offer this go around for the price point they want to be in. My guess is, it wont be much :(
We will see. I'm sort of thinking the S650 is largely going to be the same as the S550, except it will add the necessary provisions for hybrid systems. I hope they go all aluminum, but I have my doubts.
Sponsored

machsmith

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Minis
Carbon fiber chassis take too long to build. I don't think there is an all carbon fiber chassis car that sells for less than 200k new. They could shave 100 pounds with carbon fiber for less than 8k.
By chassis, I mean the whole S550. I doubt they will ever use a carbon fiber frame (never say never, maybe a carbon composite) Most likely all aluminum, and who knows, maybe starting with the S650

If they decided to, they could MAYBE shed 100 LBS using carbon fiber parts in this next S550 SE, BUT, it won't be cheap. It takes nearly 8K for rims and wing for the 350R, yeah, there are other slight changes, but you also arent losing 100 lbs, maybe 10 total for the rims and tires.
Its possible to lose 100, but it will never pass the bean counters approval.

Where are these guys at that are taking these vids and pics? nothing else to pass along as far as eye witness accounts?

68fbjjz109

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15' GTPP
That is the plus side of the D6R rumour. Bean counters will pay for the Explorer and other vehicles on that platform to loose weight because CAFE is driving lightweighting.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
If they decided to, they could MAYBE shed 100 LBS using carbon fiber parts in this next S550 SE, BUT, it won't be cheap. It takes nearly 8K for rims and wing for the 350R, yeah, there are other slight changes, but you also arent losing 100 lbs, maybe 10 total for the rims and tires.
$8k, that's the cost to the consumer with the original manufacturer taking a profit, Ford taking a profit, and the dealer taking a profit, and the government taking (more than) their share.

I can't imagine the actual cost to manufacture the wheels and spoiler is more than $2k. Probably more like $500.

Darkane

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Base
By chassis, I mean the whole S550. I doubt they will ever use a carbon fiber frame (never say never, maybe a carbon composite) Most likely all aluminum, and who knows, maybe starting with the S650

Where are these guys at that are taking these vids and pics? nothing else to pass along as far as eye witness accounts?
Since you have an R ill give you the benefit of the doubt. Wheels are saving a bunch more than 10 lbs over the aluminum equivalents.

I'm sure Ford could do a forged wheel 23-25lbs and save some decent weight, but the carbons save an additional 5-7lbs a side from that yet.

Carbon spoiler vs other material is maybe 5-10lbs.

Sponsored

machsmith

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Minis
I am saying 2 or 3 lbs from an aluminum rim such as a 6gr wheel or forgeline type. Not those heavy lardos that came with your car. Ok so maybe 20 lbs total and thats generous. Ford should offer a forgeline type wheel for the standard SE. If they put on those heavy ones again it will be a shame. I think its one thing they will do to keep it under 4000. If not maybe the CF wheels may be standard equipment, which would be the ticket, but im thinking a light aluminim standard.

Hack, i get that they charge much more than they make them for. Its what i do too when i make parts, otherwise id be out of business.. haha.
Hey, id love to have them shed 100. Lbs from this next SE mustang but do you guys think they will do it? Im willing to bet its 3950- 3980 - if its supercharged.
I can possibly see a KR version with back seat ripped out and no AC running 3850. ;)
Edit: depends on what that DCT weighs.

Last edited:

DHG1078

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Mustang Bullitt, 1985 Mustang Hatch
Even 20 pounds off of wheels is huge though. That is rotational mass, and the center of mass keeps getting pushed further and further away from the center of the wheel as they keep getting bigger, which makes the weight savings even more potent.

machsmith

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Minis
Even 20 pounds off of wheels is huge though. That is rotational mass, and the center of mass keeps getting pushed further and further away from the center of the wheel as they keep getting bigger, which makes the weight savings even more potent.
I agree its best there, thats why i think they go with a lighter aluminum on the standard model , similar weight to the g6r/forgeline wheels, around 20 lbs a piece. Maybe they go carbon fiber and save 2 or 3 lbs a piece. Hopefully at least on the race version.
If they have 28 lb hog wheels ill be shocked.

GT500TT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Porsche turbo
I agree its best there, thats why i think they go with a lighter aluminum on the standard model , similar weight to the g6r/forgeline wheels, around 20 lbs a piece. Maybe they go carbon fiber and save 2 or 3 lbs a piece. Hopefully at least on the race version.
If they have 28 lb hog wheels ill be shocked.
The carbon wheels are offered on the GT and 350R. Not at least offering them on new GT500/Halo will be a step backwards IMHO!!! This new car will have lots of carbon in the mix!! I feel it! Ford has invested to much money in it not to show case it in the big dog model!!!

Sponsored

machsmith

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Minis
The carbon wheels are offered on the GT and 350R. Not at least offering them on new GT500/Halo will be a step backwards IMHO!!! This new car will have lots of carbon in the mix!! I feel it! Ford has invested to much money in it not to show case it in the big dog model!!!
I have fairh it will be on the KR type version and maybe - possibly on the standard version but im guessing it wont, but a light wheel such as 6gr. Something cheaper but lighter than the blobs on the standard 350.
I hope you are right about the carbon. At least we are hearing the carbon composite springs! Hopefully rbe drive shaft!

GT500TT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Porsche turbo
I have fairh it will be on the KR type version and maybe - possibly on the standard version but im guessing it wont, but a light wheel such as 6gr. Something cheaper but lighter than the blobs on the standard 350.
I hope you are right about the carbon. At least we are hearing the carbon composite springs! Hopefully rbe drive shaft!
All you have to do is look at the sick carbon work on the GT. It shows what Ford is capable of. Surely some of what they learned and experimented with on that car is going to show up! I guess it just depends on how far they want to take it. I'm with you hopefully there's a balls out KR(or GT500TT-R) crazy version with no holds barred bad assness!! :cheers:

machsmith

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Minis
Id like this car absolutely loaded with CF too man, i hear you. Id like the bean counters on the side lines. I just have a feeling ford wont take it that far. Hope to hell i'm wrong, but im sure they want to keep it 67k to 75k. With a supercharged 7xx HP and a DCT, there isnt much left on the bone.

GT500TT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Porsche turbo
Agreed. Otherwise people are going to complain they can't afford a much lighter carbon intensive car.
I say if you build it they will come! No shortage of people that will pay if the product is truly badass. 450k Ford GT and they turned down how many sells on the first run? Plenty of money out there!

Also if the car stays under 75k I'll fall out of my chair!'
Sponsored