Sponsored

Question about NOT replacing oil pump gears

Bartly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Lol. First drive with 800hp testing to see what mph it still spins the tires at.... I'll give you a dollar if you keep it under 6500. :cheers:
Lol, might as well tell me to stay out of the rev limiter. Damn it, sometimes I am in the mood to ride that thing:crazy:, especially now that I have some traction. It's so bad, but I haven't been able to stop myself when I'm wanting more RPMs. Sure is a easy way to loose a race. Luckily I only do it once out of every maybe 25 pulls now adays, hoping that #s go down as I grow up. Can't help but thank myself for installing the billet gears.
Sponsored

Black Dog

Looking For Trouble
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Air Cooled Twins by Comp Turbo
The post you quoted is from 2016 lol.

I hope he isn't still in business. He's a fuckin crook that owes me money.
Well he has been screwing customers for 20 + years. I hope is out of business

Roh92cp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Vehicle(s)
OW GTPP Whipple
The cool thing is ford engineers are on record saying it’s from torsional vibs causing them to crack. THats why a better damper helps as well as the stock one isn’t designed for over a certain rpm.
ok so then do you only need an upgraded damper? doesnt that mean if you stay at 7k rpm you have no issues?
Its also posted that using after market dampners with the stock.gears could cause them to break,and then their is the theory about guys that replace with aftermarket dampners but dont remove or put the new one on correct which break the gears.I have of one car,boosted that broke his crank sprocket even after leaving everything factory,all the rest of the ones i seen broken where with some aftermarket dampner.Either do it all the way or dont touch it.
i know its kind of cliche at this point but when i see someone like Alex in a gen1 coyote (the least balanced) pushing 700+whp running 9s revving to 7500+ and making it scream all with stock gears?? it kind of makes you scratch your head.
The best advise for members is make sure your motor and oil is at normal operating temperature before you start beating the hell out your motor under boost.
I was one of the first Whipple guys to loose my motor to OPG failure here. It was a street car only and my OPG let go at 6500K in 3rd. At the time the thinking was if you have stock gears then do balancer for added safety. It's been learned by Whipple and Ford that if you have stock OPG then stick with stock Damper, I proved that one. Many many cars running Roush and Whipple as an example with warranty stock damper and OPG without issue with warranty. Either change it all damper and gears or leave it be. Both will hold up as there are so few examples of failures since this platform came out and has been tested with Forced induction. With that said upgrading OPG and Damper will be your strongest option of course. How you drive it and of course oil temps when at WOT pulls will also be a factor. I now have a dedicated oil temp gauge and of course OPG and ATI since I had to replace my motor after playing the odds the first time out.

Franklin Yeti

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP (Magnetic Metallic)
y two cents again, do the OPG's. Peace of mind is worth $750.00-$1,000 for parts and install.

Sponsored

Dominant1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dr Frankenstang
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt/cs auto 3:55 gears
Vehicle Showcase
When you go to get it tuned one of the questions the tuner will ask is if you have opgs and a crank gear. if you don't, a responsible tuner will tune your car for less hp so as to not risk breakage..... so dont sell yourself short being cheap, get it done...

Angry50

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350
I'll gladly do them for $500 you supply parts
ok come to Jacksonville FL, you can start the 2018 on sat and i need it done by sunday. ill even feed you and give you beer.

unfortunately from whay i hear is the 2018s are even worse to install than previous years.

Dominant1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dr Frankenstang
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt/cs auto 3:55 gears
Vehicle Showcase
ok come to Jacksonville FL, you can start the 2018 on sat and i need it done by sunday. ill even feed you and give you beer.

unfortunately from whay i hear is the 2018s are even worse to install than previous years.
""GO Jags"

Franklin Yeti

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP (Magnetic Metallic)
who is installing gears for $400? ill pay.
I'm having it done the same time I am installing the power adder, The costs for the OPG and CS was $400, labor $500- $600. There you go. You can get it done for $600 labor. Mine are getting done by a good well known performance shop for that amount.

Sponsored

Angry50

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350
I'm having it done the same time I am installing the power adder, The costs for the OPG and CS was $400, labor $500- $600. There you go. You can get it done for $600 labor. Mine are getting done by a good well known performance shop for that amount.
like i said i know the install is more difficult for 18s, still looking at a minimum of $1000, and i can see a discount for people getting boost and install. but also a lot of recommendations and rumors of people popping them NA.. so then what? some people make it out like you need them just to mod the motor.

Now it is nice knowing that after replacing those your engine is super stout and seems to not have many other issues up to 800-900whp.

Sighlense

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Magnetic GT/PP
So is the general consensus now that if you upgrade the OPG and CS you should also upgrade the Damper?

Draklia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
So is the general consensus now that if you upgrade the OPG and CS you should also upgrade the Damper?
There is no consensus. Vendors who sell the gears say you should buy them. Supercharger manufactures say you don’t need the gears upgraded when you install their kits. I’m betting the damper manufacturer would tell you there damper can be installed either way as long as you buy one.

808muscle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium Whipple, 2006 GT Blown and cammed
Whipple stage 2 and I elected not to do OPG. To each his own.