Sponsored

Boost virgin considering a Whipple for S550, need advice.

Bpro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang
Hey everyone, I've got an S550 to be delivered within 35 days or so and I've been considering putting a blower on it. I've been doing some digging, but I'm trying to get some thoughts from you pros and some consolidation of information.

(As far as Whipple v. Roush v. Procharge... I've gathered that Roush is nice for warranty retention, Procharge is cheap & removable, and Whipple seems to be all-around solid but more expensive.)

I will not be doing anything aside from daily driving and general fun cruises, no tracks or racing. I'd love to have some nice power, but I don't want to severely cripple the reliability/longevity of the car. (Totally understand there's always risk of something breaking, just not looking to push the envelope)

Questions...

1) Aside from installing a blower, what other parts would be critical to install? I presume I shouldn't just bolt on a supercharger and that's it.

But this is why my car is getting oil pump gears, crank gear, and ati damper this weekend while installing the Whipple.
2) What is a good cost for installation labor? (And if you happen to know one in the DFW area, I'd love referrals)

3) As far as general maintenance post-install, what should I be doing to keep the car in good shape & associated costs?

4) Twin Turbo v. Supercharger, which one would you say feels more powerful/thrilling? (Opinions from both sides of course!)
4b) Twin Turbo v. Supercharger: is one more of a pain in the buns in terms of upkeep cost or reliability?

I apologize ahead of time for the complete rookie questions, and if you have any good references/links to some reading material I'm all ears!

Thank you all :cheers:

Edit: Combing through https://www.cjponyparts.com/resources/mustang-superchargers-vs-turbos seems to be good information for question 4
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP

Bpro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang
As far as supplemental parts, I'm trying to carelessly avoid this kind of scenario (as I'm sure we all are...):
Yup I can't bleepin believe it, and I was one of the you don't need it crowd on a street car:crazy:

I took the precaution of installing the MMR/Romac race balancer as well. This is a street car with stock clutch no drag radial and never has seen the track or race. I occasionally wind it to full song from 2 to 4th, but rarely. Well yesterday I warmed it up for 5 minutes idleing went on a 5 mile drive the oil temp was at normal by then and I let it rip in first spinning to 7 k then shifted to second spun to 6-7k then shift third all traction and then 4 th at the top of forth got a chime and dash said low oil pressure look at the oil pressure gauge and it as at 0:eyebulge: I shut the car fast and have it towed to a shop awaiting a plan to move forward. Fuck...fuck...fuck:headbonk:

I don't have any definitive answers yet, but I'm sure it's the OPG, as I was coming to a stop I could here a slight metallic noise from the engine likely the OPG gears rattinling around.

I'm wondering what and how the motor should be checked at the point? Do I need to do a total disassembly to check for warn bearing in the cams and the rods or what. Is it possible the engine didn't sustain damage and just the OPG gears and housing could b replaced?

hossman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Shelby GT500
Roush is more then just keeping the Warranty. It’s a very durable and powerful setup that drives like a stock car until you get on it. The thing that people down the Roush is they feel the Roush tune leaves a lot on the table compared to other systems. Whipple or Roush gets the job done, it comes down to your preference!

OP
OP

Bpro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang
Roush is more then just keeping the Warranty. It’s a very durable and powerful setup that drives like a stock car until you get on it. The thing that people down the Roush is they feel the Roush tune leaves a lot on the table compared to other systems. Whipple or Roush gets the job done, it comes down to your preference!
What are people typically referring to when they say the Roush tune "leaves a lot on the table"? Less rwhp?

hossman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Shelby GT500
People feel it’s not as aggressive or not putting out as much power as it’s capable of. The Roush Phase 2 setup I have is putting out 727hp/610tq. My car was dynoed just before I bought it in March at 746hp at the crank and 653hp at the wheels. For me I’m happy with the power and maybe after the 3/36 Warranty runs out I would consider a different tune like Lund. Happy shopping!

Sponsored

OP
OP

Bpro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang
People feel it’s not as aggressive or not putting out as much power as it’s capable of. The Roush Phase 2 setup I have is putting out 727hp/610tq. My car was dynoed just before I bought it in March at 746hp at the crank and 653hp at the wheels. For me I’m happy with the power and maybe after the 3/36 Warranty runs out I would consider a different tune like Lund. Happy shopping!
Did you install it yourself or did you pay a shop to do it? (Has to be Ford shop to preserve warranty, no?)

How much did that set you back?

Thanks for sharing man, really appreciate it

hossman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Shelby GT500
It was installed at a Roush Authorized Dealer. They built the car and the cost of the Roush Phase 2 Kit with installation was $9,018. Some other guys on here have had it done for low to mid 8’s. For you to maintain the Warranty it has to be installed by a Roush Authorized Dealer. I’m not sure but it may also be covered by an ASE Certified installer but you have to check that.

Just so you know the Roush Phase 1 with 670hp comes with a 3/36 Parts Only Warranty and you can purchase an optional 3/36 Powertrain Warranty through Roush. The Roush Phase 2 with 727hp has only the 3/36 Parts Only Warranty.

Humphammer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kona Blue 2015 Limited Edition 50th Year
I will not be doing anything aside from daily driving and general fun cruises, no tracks or racing.

Edit: Combing through https://www.cjponyparts.com/resources/mustang-superchargers-vs-turbos seems to be good information for question 4
I am pretty much in the same boat as you. I chose ProCharger with the helical gear set. Makes plenty of power, is reasonably quiet, cheaper and from all I can gather it's reliable and not prone to break other things with your car provided you actually drive like you say you will be. I am sure the others have advantages as well, but that was my choice.

NewTekBuzz

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
2015 Black GT 6M
Gonna follow this thread, I’m in same boat. Have lots of questions. I already know what I’m going with.

Mickey3

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Walt
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT
I went with the Procharger P1-SC1 Stage II kit, installed by myself and couldn't be happier. I'm completely stock otherwise, and still using PC's provided tune. The car is scary fast when you want it, but my wife can still drive it to work without complaint or worry.

Procharger gets my vote..

Sponsored

jhatley7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 White GT PP, 2022 F350
Hey everyone, I've got an S550 to be delivered within 35 days or so and I've been considering putting a blower on it. I've been doing some digging, but I'm trying to get some thoughts from you pros and some consolidation of information.

(As far as Whipple v. Roush v. Procharge... I've gathered that Roush is nice for warranty retention, Procharge is cheap & removable, and Whipple seems to be all-around solid but more expensive.)

I will not be doing anything aside from daily driving and general fun cruises, no tracks or racing. I'd love to have some nice power, but I don't want to severely cripple the reliability/longevity of the car. (Totally understand there's always risk of something breaking, just not looking to push the envelope)

Questions...

1) Aside from installing a blower, what other parts would be critical to install? I presume I shouldn't just bolt on a supercharger and that's it.

2) What is a good cost for installation labor? (And if you happen to know one in the DFW area, I'd love referrals)

3) As far as general maintenance post-install, what should I be doing to keep the car in good shape & associated costs?

4) Twin Turbo v. Supercharger, which one would you say feels more powerful/thrilling? (Opinions from both sides of course!)
4b) Twin Turbo v. Supercharger: is one more of a pain in the buns in terms of upkeep cost or reliability?

I apologize ahead of time for the complete rookie questions, and if you have any good references/links to some reading material I'm all ears!

1- nothing if what do what you say as far as track. Well tires and halfshafts

2- Whipple and im local. If your good with a wrench ill be happy to help. Not any shops local that i know of, that i would trust to touch my car.

3- Whipple with their tune. Nothing extra really. Plugs, oil, brakes, ETC

4- Matter of personal opinion. Down low street driving- PD. Highway pulls TT

5- Again nothing really with your goals. IF EVERYTHING IS INSTALLED PROPERLY!

5- Its a lot harder to up the boost on a PD vs TT. PD requires a pulley swap. TT requires a push of a button. TT will cost you a lot of money if you start upping the boost. PD will too just requires more thought.

So i started out Like you but did plan on pushing the car a little, local track days, highway pulls ETC.... Unfortunately for my wallet, I keep wanting to go faster and faster. Check out my build thread and see where the rabbit whole leads if you aren't careful.

Other mods may want include, exhaust, suspension, brakes, built motor, safety, drivetrain, trans, clutches, fuel system, tires, tires, tires lol. Best piece of advise i can give is think long and hard about future goals and try to account for them before you boost.

Boduke0220

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
so I bought my car 2 years ago and literally the first mod was a Supercharger kit. looking back I would do some things differently.

1. Shifter. the stock one isn't bad but my MGW is ALOT nicer and makes the driving experience that much better.

2. Exhaust, I still have the stock cats and resonator on my car. while not an issue ( they actually keep it pretty quiet) they do leave a bit of HP on the table so those need to go at some point.

3. suspension. I would look into Lethal performance's bread and butter BMR package to get the slop out the stock rear end.

4. Whipple. I love mine, it whines loud and I haven't had any issues with it. I also daily my car!

hope this helps
Sponsored