Whipple Intercooler Pump Relay with Aftermarket Tune

Darthmayxj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
Vehicle Showcase
Hey guys!

Getting ready to install a fore fuel system and get a custom tune. Tuner has requested that Intercooler pump be wired to a keyed source. The stock relay from Whipple uses one of the IMRC plugs for its keyed source. I assume this plug can be cut off the relay and one of the wires be added to a key source in the fuse box using a tap a fuse and the other wire grounded. Is this the case? Or how should I do it.

Thanks!

Joshua
Sponsored

db252

Equinsu Ocha
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT Premium/PP/Nav
That way will work or you can get the competition harness from Whipple which was how I did it when making the switch.

OP
OP

Darthmayxj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
Vehicle Showcase
That way will work or you can get the competition harness from Whipple which was how I did it when making the switch.

I did find that the older instructions and it showed the relay was configured exactly like I was thinking. One wire is common ground other is to a switched fuse with a fuse tap. Looks like they just put the IMRC plug on it on later revisions to allow complete plug and play. Ill give it a shot and if that doesn't work I'll pick up the comp harness.

Thanks for the response!

db252

Equinsu Ocha
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT Premium/PP/Nav
I’m sure you’ll get it to work like you say as that is an option that Whipple says you can do. I just never gave it a thought as I had the competition harness.
Who is your tuner?

gqneon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 GT PP / Manual
I've modified a stock Stage 2 harness to tap the ABS fuse slot for power on pump function. They have a diagram they can email you, or it's in the new installation manual now. I also just installed a new competition kit that did the exact same thing from Whipple last week. You don't need to connect to IMRC harnesses with competition kit or if you're wanting key on pump action.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Darthmayxj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
Vehicle Showcase
I've modified a stock Stage 2 harness to tap the ABS fuse slot for power on pump function. They have a diagram they can email you, or it's in the new installation manual now. I also just installed a new competition kit that did the exact same thing from Whipple last week. You don't need to connect to IMRC harnesses with competition kit or if you're wanting key on pump action.

Sorry for delay in response. Found older whipple instructions that showed the harness tapping a fuse in fuse box and other using the common ground. I cut the IMRC plug off the harness and picked up a tap a fuse from auto part store. ALl is good in the world!

HextallS550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
Whipple and Roush kits use an OS developed by Ford for forced induction. The aftermarket guys are using the stock NA OS, hence why he told you to remove the intercooler pump control from the IMRC. His tune doesn't have the proper logic to control it. Some people mistakenly think using the NA OS to operate SC engines is OK. It's a hack. You should have sought out someone that uses HP Tuners who could properly calibrate that SC OS. SCT can't/won't allow us access to it.

OP
OP

Darthmayxj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
Vehicle Showcase
Whipple and Roush kits use an OS developed by Ford for forced induction. The aftermarket guys are using the stock NA OS, hence why he told you to remove the intercooler pump control from the IMRC. His tune doesn't have the proper logic to control it. Some people mistakenly think using the NA OS to operate SC engines is OK. It's a hack. You should have sought out someone that uses HP Tuners who could properly calibrate that SC OS. SCT can't/won't allow us access to it.
Pretty sure LUND and PBD got it figured out ;)

Sponsored

Drsmith33

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang gt
Sorry for delay in response. Found older whipple instructions that showed the harness tapping a fuse in fuse box and other using the common ground. I cut the IMRC plug off the harness and picked up a tap a fuse from auto part store. ALl is good in the world!
The plug has 3 wires on it. Which one did you use a fuse tap on and which one did you use for ground? What did you do with the other wire? Sorry. I’m in the middle of doing this at the moment

hamzah596

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hamza
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Premium
Vehicle Showcase
So you took the connector that goes into the back of the engine. Cut one wire into a fuse tap and another as a ground correct? Is that the only thing that needs to be done? Also since the IMRC connector has two wires going in it which one is ground which one is tapped? Or does that not matter? Going through this right now.
Sponsored