Sponsored

Giant Test: Ford Mustang vs Lexus RCF vs BMW M4

ForTehNguyen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT
large article, read full article in link

http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/car-re...rd-mustang-vs-lexus-rcf-vs-bmw-m4-car-review/

mustang_01.jpg

Results

1st – Lexus RC F

Baffled? Don’t be, the maths are compelling: Nissan GT-R styling and tech + previous-gen V8 M3 bombast and exuberance = winner.

2nd – Ford Mustang

Looks good, sounds incredible and the ’Stang’s only a small loan more expensive than a GT86. But as a sports coupe it feels more blank canvas than finished article.

3rd – BMW M4

Hugely desirable and effortlessly fast but – and it’s a big one – the turbo six is really hard to fall for. No charm, no goosebumps, no thanks.
mustang_15.jpg
Sponsored

1mic

Banned
2 mph so everybody sees u
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
God bless America, all 8.4 liters -Randy Pobst
^ Mine too

And I've driven an RCF at a lexus drive event. Its nice and all but it weighs 4000lbs.

Again these euro magazines are comparing a plain v8 model mustang virtually half the price of the competitive cars. When are they going to compare to a car in its price range? GT350 anyone

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
Again these euro magazines are comparing a plain v8 model mustang virtually half the price of the competitive cars. When are they going to compare to a car in its price range? GT350 anyone
Because the GT350 isn't officially available in Europe ;)

MRGTX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6spd base

And I've driven an RCF at a lexus drive event. Its nice and all but it weighs 4000lbs.

4,000lbs sounds like a lot to S197 people but it's within spitting distance of an S550.

Your question about comparing these cars to a GT350 is a damn good one but IIRC, the Mustang is a lot more expensive over there so it might make more sense to compare a GTPP regardless of the GT350 being available or not.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
Yep, the Mustang GT is about £35k here (about $42k......the £ has tanked against the $ recently), and that Lexus (as tested) was £68k :eyebulge:

Lone Survivor

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Priscilla McMustang GT Ruby Team DS
4,000lbs sounds like a lot to S197 people but it's within spitting distance of an S550 with a few options.

Your question about comparing these cars to a GT350 is a damn good one but IIRC, the Mustang is a lot more expensive over there so it might make more sense to compare a GTPP regardless of the GT350 being available or not.
The Mustang 5.0 GT, with the Euro version of PP is a @ £37k in Europe/UK. The M4 starts at £5 under £58k, the Lexus RCF starts at £5 under £59k rising to £70k for the CF (?) version.

Whichever way you look at it, the Mustang punches well above its weight. £20-30k premium? No thanks, just another expensive, not as good as it wants to be, bit of badge snobbery.

MRGTX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6spd base
The Mustang 5.0 GT, with the Euro version of PP is a @ £37k in Europe/UK. The M4 starts at £5 under £58k, the Lexus RCF starts at £5 under £59k rising to £70k for the CF (?) version.

Whichever way you look at it, the Mustang punches well above its weight. £20-30k premium? No thanks, just another expensive, not as good as it wants to be, bit of badge snobbery.
Thanks for the specifics...and I totally agree that it offers WAY more performance car for the money than pretty much anything on the market. It's nice to see that this is true in other markets too.

I'm also amazed at how universally "unloved" this generation of the M3 has turned out to be.

9secondko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 cobra
Lame. Put the gt350 in their since it's more in the price ballpark.

Oh... but that would mean it flat out SPANKS the other two. Can't have that apparently...

redtrack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1 10AT
I liked the part of the "blank canvas"...that means that with the money we saved, we can finish the "canvas" the way we want, enjoy the process and still keep money in the pocket!

Sponsored

16 GT MM/Auto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 KIA Stinger GT AWD
The Stang is a "blank canvas", as long as you don't mind voiding your warranty.

The bottom line is that when a European test pits a $45,296 (US) Mustang against a $70,995 (US) M4 and a $77,209 (US) Lexus RCF ...

The Mustang already won. ;)

OP
OP

ForTehNguyen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT
add square PSS tire setup, springs/shocks, BMR rear IRS lockout, BMR front brace, MGW shifter to this blank canvas and it would complete the car

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
I didn't realize the Euro cars didn't get the strut tower brace. That makes a decent difference. That plus something like the BMR cradle lockout would cure most of the issues they had, aside from being a little underdamped and on tires that are crap on wet roads.

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
I like those Lexus-izzzzz but they are a bit girly looking, IMHO.

I'd rather have an M3, especially an E92, but those f'ing things are expensive as sin.

offroadkarter

Threads
Reaction score
Website
offroadkarter.smugmug.com
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
I'm surprised they loved the RC F so much, when Clarkson drove it on top gear he down right hated it.

I'd rather have an M3, especially an E92, but those f'ing things are expensive as sin.
To buy? only if you're looking at a low mile 12-13, 08-11's can be had between 25 and 42 grand.

To maintain? Yeah thats kind of the reason I didn't buy one, I didn't want to do a 3000 dollar preemptive rod bearing replacement or hope the 1500 dollar throttle actuators lasted.
Sponsored