Sponsored

MGW Shifters - MT82 Race Spec Throw Options X-SPEC debut!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

15RRGT

I am teh liquor
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
2015 RR GT PP TVS
Can all units be updated with this option? Or just new orders

BMR Tech

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bmrsuspension.com
First Name
Dion
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT, 2010 GT500, 2019 F-150 5.0
Coming to my new PP GT soon!

Woohoo!!!!

Sponsored

5starr0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium
in for details

Crackerjack17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP
ah, and I just got done installing mine. lol. Is that a new dust boot I notice over where the shifting rod exits the back of the shifter? Mine doesn't have this, can I add that?

Jay-rod427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT C/S
The effects on your logo introduction are as awesome as your shifters! Well done.

OP
OP

MGW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 MUSTANG
ah, and I just got done installing mine. lol. Is that a new dust boot I notice over where the shifting rod exits the back of the shifter? Mine doesn't have this, can I add that?

Yours is actually sealed just as well with an internal oil seal. We just went to this design because we share it with the gt350 and some other models. It would be a hassle to pull the bushing out to swap and not needed. the boot will not slip onto the existing bushings you have.

George

Sponsored

Xavier

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT
Is there any difference in shift effort between the 4 options?

OP
OP

MGW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 MUSTANG
Is there any difference in shift effort between the 4 options?

the effort really is not huge but the x-spec is a bit notchier just due to the throw difference.

I still feel the standard is the best shifting experience on the market but understand the that there is a demand for a more extreme throw reduction.

George

OP
OP

MGW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 MUSTANG
this is a good read from my facebook page...

Hey guys,
This is George Ciamillo , owner of MGW, and i wanted to give a quick rundown of the new X-Spec and Standard Race Spec shifters for the 2011-2017 Mustangs. I have been getting a lot of email and phone inquiries from people wanting to know if they should go with the standard or the x-spec and if they should upgrade etc...
First off , let me say , the Standard Race Spec is in my opinion the smoothest best all around feel of ANY Mt-82 shifter setup on the market. The shift throw of 15 percent may not seem that much, but when you realize that the shift throw from the factory is only a touch over 3.500" inches it suddenly seems logical. Amazingly , a 3 1/2" shift throw back 10 years ago would have seemed VERY extreme so when the OEM throw setting is reduced to this point, the aftermarket suddenly realizes that you can't just rest on throw reduction alone . To make the product REALLY desirable, the shifter has to be engineered for much more than just throw reduction.
This is where the Race Spec has always set the bar high. We don't focus on shift throw as much as the actual performance of each shift and what is going to put the least amount of stress on the drivetrain of your Mustang. MGW pioneered the trans mounted shifter and solid linkage combination to make the perfect shift feel. It was never touted to be the shortest throw , nor did we intend it to be.
One thing MGW is very proud of , however, is our close connection with our customer base. We listen and we strive to give the customer what they want. We realize that a segment of the Mustang community IS looking for that extreme short throw and are willing to sacrifice some shift smoothness and also some risk of transmission stress for the fastest throw they can possibly get. As such, we have now introduced our X-Spec option. This shifter is the EXACT same shifter as our standard with the only exception being the pivot position to reduce the upper travel by an additional 10 percent in relative setup over our standard Race Spec.
- it will be notchier ( which some have actually voiced preference for)
- it will put more stress on the drivetrain as a whole since the lower linkage rod will be sped up over the standard. We strongly recommend that those doing repetitive drag racing and or power shifting also look into beefing up the MT-82 transmission internals.
- the shift effort will increase slightly.
So in a nutshell , the new X- Spec is not some "new" shifter that all of a sudden makes our Standard race spec obsolete. It is simply an additional option for those that want it. The lower profile handle is also an option that has stemmed from demand for a very low profile "stubby" handle height. So you have options now for the best engineered shifter you can get!!
Please feel free to share this to get the word out and I hope it answered the questions that you guys have.

Status
Not open for further replies.