2021 MUSTANG (S650) - 7th Generation Mustang Confirmed

Status
Not open for further replies.

1320'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Avenger...sadly
Well take a look at what Ram has done with their 1500..

An electric motor attached directly to the engine that adds roughly 16HP and 130ft/lb's of torque in certain conditions..IE low RPM, etc..

It's said to increase fuel economy and performance.

I'd dig something like that in a mustang.
Sponsored

LETHAL

From the D but in the NC
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT A10
Vehicle Showcase
Ford..

Just let us have our one necessary evil, all we ask.

MustangJoe84

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1984 GT, 1998 GT Sport, 2003 Mach1, 2015 GT
While here in reality land, at my dealership we can't give away plug-in hybrids and the electric Focus (bet ya didn't know one existed). Super Dutys, F-150, Explorers selling like candy.
Oh, and in my opinion, Mach1 name for an SUV is not genius, but just lazy. Younger customers that these will be targeted to will not relate to a 50 year old name and it will anger us older customers who might for the first time look elsewhere.

RaceRed5.0

Threads
Reaction score
From Texas to Louisana to California back to Texas
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT 3.55, Modded 2006 Pontiac G6
I have been beating this dead horse for a while. The future is electric and autonomous. It won't be an immediate change but a gradual one. If major automakers intend to stay competitive they must change with the environment. The shifting of R&D budgets and hybridizing the older product lines will come first.
Electric isn't selling and the cars are unaffordable even with a the government subsidizing them. I see a lot of Teslas where I live specifically because it's a wealthy area. We also don't have the infrastructure to handle millions of cars on the electrical grid. Right now all that is a fairy tale. Also automation is scary when the government decides which routes you can take. I hope that isn't the future I'll take the flying car before that.

Sponsored

Cardude99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost

EcoVert

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost convertible
Vehicle Showcase
I have been beating this dead horse for a while. The future is electric and autonomous. It won't be an immediate change but a gradual one. If major automakers intend to stay competitive they must change with the environment. The shifting of R&D budgets and hybridizing the older product lines will come first.
Electric isn't selling and the cars are unaffordable even with a the government subsidizing them. I see a lot of Teslas where I live specifically because it's a wealthy area. We also don't have the infrastructure to handle millions of cars on the electrical grid. Right now all that is a fairy tale. Also automation is scary when the government decides which routes you can take. I hope that isn't the future I'll take the flying car before that.

There's one BIG issue with electric cars that no one wants to talk about the disposal of there lithium batteries. At present only about 1% of lithium batteries are recycled. Lithium is very flammable just ask Boeing. So that means specially prepared pits have to be dug into the ground. The chances of a ecological disaster grows with every lithium batter stuck into the ground. And that's doesn't even cover the fact that many overseas lithium batter makers are now using chemicals harmful to the environment to extract lithium from rocks. With just these factors figured in electric cars do more harm to the environment than gas powered cars.

Kevin08

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
19GT
There's one BIG issue with electric cars that no one wants to talk about the disposal of there lithium batteries. At present only about 1% of lithium batteries are recycled. Lithium is very flammable just ask Boeing. So that means specially prepared pits have to be dug into the ground. The chances of a ecological disaster grows with every lithium batter stuck into the ground. And that's doesn't even cover the fact that many overseas lithium batter makers are now using chemicals harmful to the environment to extract lithium from rocks. With just these factors figured in electric cars do more harm to the environment than gas powered cars.
Maybe the whole point of Space-X is that Elon can shoot rockets into space with discarded Tesla batteries and create his own space dump.

Hmmmmmm

EcoVert

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost convertible
Vehicle Showcase
Maybe the whole point of Space-X is that Elon can shoot rockets into space with discarded Tesla batteries and create his own space dump.

Hmmmmmm
Could be then we'll have burning lithium raining down on us from space :doh:

Sponsored

Bravo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
German Turbo Box

Falc'man

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Falcon
My big question on the potential 2020 hybrid is if it will be setup like the Prius where it powers only one axle, or setup so that the electric motors sit on the front wheels, essentially creating an AWD Mustang with V8 like power.
He answers that in the article - they still haven't chosen the exact configuration.

68fbjjz109

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15' GTPP
I'm holding out for my flying car.

This is the 1990s all over for Ford. Ignoring passenger cars in favor of their "SUV future". Meanwhile Camrys, Corrolas, Accords, and Civics outsell every Ford SUV.
It's not just Ford tbough.

68fbjjz109

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15' GTPP
My big question on the potential 2020 hybrid is if it will be setup like the Prius where it powers only one axle, or setup so that the electric motors sit on the front wheels, essentially creating an AWD Mustang with V8 like power.
Most longitudinal hybrids have inline motor generator units, which are ideal if you don't want to tear up a body structure. Generally a small battery in the trunk, under or behind seats, with your HV wiring running up the tunnel to the MGU sandwiched between the engine and transmission which complement delivering power to the rear. Some cars have separate MGUs that do regenerative breaking and stop start, while the other is for propulsion. Like the Lexus LC500h which is what I imagine the Mustang will most likely be like to keep things as common as possible with the ICE Mustang if it's not AWD.

If the Mustang does still go to D6, you have a series of other vehicles like the explorer which currently use transversely orientated powertrains. While lame in most regards, it does mean you has suspension and cradles being designed and validated on the same platform with provisions for front axles. I supposed you could have smaller motors up front with the engine still supplying 100% power to the rear axles. I am not sure if anything like that exists in mass production because it sounds like a packaging nightmare.

More than likely since its a new platform they could packaging protect for a front differential mounted to the engine, and do an inline setup like mentioned above with a 1 spd transfer-case and a drive shaft sending power to the front when needed...

Similar to new Hybrid BMWs.
x16-02-18-lexus-lc-500h-powertrain.jpg.pagespeed.ic.n85oM_wLYM.jpg
xxx6a00d8341c4fbe53ef01a3fcc16e89970b-800wi (1).jpg

Bravo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
German Turbo Box
Thanks for that info! I'd be bummed if it wasn't an AWD hybrid, but this route would make more sense. Either way, it'll be interesting to see what comes of this.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.