Sponsored

I need honesty and not fanboys

PhantomV8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Camaro 2SS
Hey guys, I own a 2016 Camaro 2SS that I picked up about a year ago or so. I originally was going to get the S550 Mustang GT, but when I went to the local ford dealership to test drive, it felt like I had to put both my feet and all my weight on the brake pedal to keep the car from rolling down the hill out onto the main road from the dealership. I am guessing now that the saleswoman took all of the “kids” (I was 21) that came in to test drive in the same car that may have had some issues in attempt to get rid of it to someone who didn’t know better, but at the time all I could think was man Mustang brakes are the worst! I heard the Camaro SS redesign was coming out so I waited. At first, I had mixed feelings, and I still do. I can’t decide if I like the design of the car or not still to this day (the Camaro). I went with the Chevy because I felt the Ford interiors of all their cars felt cheap and I didn’t want to “Fix or Repair Daily”. Well, since then, I have had to do a rear diff fluid flush around 7,000 miles due to a groaning sound, I had to do a fuse pull on the Display as it was doing things and clicking things on it’s own and 3 dealership visits couldn’t replicate/fix it, at around 20,000 miles I already needed to spend $2,000 to replace the Eagle F1 tires, just past that my rim cracked and started leaking air so I had to spend every day filling my run flats with air until 3 different dealerships couldn’t figure out why it was leaking. This was probably because I daily the car and it has summer tires on in the winter. Not sure. Anyways around 30,000 miles the air started leaking again and I was told it was the tread so I bought new tires, guess what still leaking air. I asked the dealership repeatedly to make sure it wasn’t a cracked rim before buying the tires, oh well didn’t find out till after that the rims were cracked. Oh and I almost forgot, around 22,000 miles I had to bring it in for about 4 hours to the dealership for a rewiring of the trans coolant lines. Last time I brought it in to the dealership at that 30,000 mike mark for the new tires, for an Inspection, and for a wash, I was at the dealership for 6 hours just for them to tell me they needed to keep it overnight! Come to find out NCDOT tells me the car hasn’t been inspected yet! I have spent so much time at the dealership I am really getting pissed off at this point and am wondering if I shouldn’t try and trade in for a 2017 S550 (new) before they are all gone instead of spending $2,000 more on a new set of rims for a car I’m not even sure I’m attracted to (loud and fast as hell though). My parents and everyone still tells me “oh no you wouldn’t want a ford that would be even worse”, but I come to you guys looking for an honest answer. What problems have you guys had with your mustangs (2015-2017) and is it comparable to what I have been going thru as far as dealership visits? Sorry for the long post, here is a potato ().
Sponsored

Rock&Roll

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Stick- 2022 VW GTI Stick -2011 HD Fatboy
Longest post ever. :crazy:

Only 10k miles on mine. I've got a Harley I also ride but the Mustang is my Daily driver. No issues. I just drive it. Had the dealer change the oil twice for free.

Brakes are fine btw

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
No issues here.

PP brakes will almost hurtle you through the windshield....

TNcoupe

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Josh
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
Honestly there are turds in every brand. I have a 15 GT with performance package and Recaros. Only time its been to dealership is for passenger door handle recall and an attempt at getting the drivers side seat from squeeking. I ended up getting the seat fixed myself. I do my own maintenance and havent had a single problem with multiple track days and autocrosses. 29,000 miles on it but its not my DD either. I'd say you'll be hard pressed to find a set of brakes better for the price than the Brembos on the Mustang. I have driven a rental V6 vert 2015 Camaro and I'll take the Mustang interior over it. Could never seem to get comfy in the Camaro.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Only issue I've had so far after 14k miles is the stupid amount of driveline clunk.

Sponsored

jacknifetoaswan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Mustang GT Premium Performance Pack
It seems that every car is different, but many of them, especially in warmer climates, have issues with the HVAC system. Mine has had the blower motor controller, the blower motor, condenser, and compressor replaced, but has been solid since the compressor was done about a year ago. The MT-82 transmission isn't great, from a drivability/performance standpoint, but it's stout enough to not break in regular hard usage (changing out the transmission fluid for BG fluid helps a lot). Some cars have panel fitment issues. The panels can be realigned using some of the guides on this website.

As far as interior, I've never, and I mean, never, found a Chevy interior to be nicer than a Ford interior. I have the Premier Trim on mine, which was like a $400 option, which gives you better leather, and swaps a couple of hard plastic panels for soft touch. Well worth it.

Of course, with all cars, there are outliers - some people end up with failed engines at 2k miles, some people lose their clutch at 10k, etc.

ETA: The Performance Package brakes are ridiculously good. They stop, stop hard, and don't fade in normal driving. They stop so well that I actually swapped to a different pad to increase pedal travel (so that I could heel/toe) and reduce grabbiness. I don't know what you were driving, but it wasn't a PP car.

JR

Stam616

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang V6 51A Mag Gray Metallic
I’ve had my 15 Mustang for 3 years this month. 27k miles and zero issues. Had one recall which was fixed, complimentary oil changes/tire rotations and I get really good MPG. I love the car, but I’m not fanboying. I think the Camaro looks cool enough but with all those problems you mentioned, I’d be thinking about switching sides as well. Truth is, there’s crappy cars in every brand because they’re not all built the same. If you got one then get rid of it. I think the Mustang is a great choice but you have to be happy with it as well.

smbsocal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Mustang GT Vert, '17 C7 Z06, '19 BMW X5
I have a '17 Z06 and the Corvette OEM rims are known to crack as well. It looks like it is a widespread issues with GM performance rims. No real issues with it yet.

The '18 Mustang isn't even a month old but I have 1.2k miles on it and so far so good. Not to say that they are perfect, but every car has a chance to be a lemon. I went with a Mustang over a Camarao for a DD since I can't stand the lack of visibility in the Camaro. The '18 Mustang new features match what the Camaro can offer except for the HUD.

NHMustang

Live Free and Drive
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Also not a fanboy. I like them all for different reasons. For me it was styling and comfort above all else, and the Mustang is great on long hauls.

I think you got what many of us like to refer to as a Monday or a Friday car. I was lucky enough to get a Wednesday car ( It was originally a fleet car for someone at Ford in Dearborn). Like everyone said, every manufacturer has cars that come off the assembly line that just don't have everything done correctly. That sucks.

I test drove many different Mustangs, GT, GTPP, EB, EBPP and one v6 that I rented in Hawaii, which sold the wife and kids on getting one. :D

So don't be afraid to drive alot of cars and always try to buy one that you drove. If you order one be up front and tell then that you have to drive it to sign on the dotted line.

Sponsored

xDUMPWEEDx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP (Base/Oxford White)
If you like the auto rev-matching that your SS has, then I would suggest waiting for the '19 Mustang which also has it.

Also, make sure you get the Performance Package. The front Brembos on it are amazing.

scrubber3

Hopper, is that you?
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GTPP Shadow Black. 2001 Jeep XJ 4x4
Buy a GTPP. Put better tires on it. Good to go...

Fatguy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 V6 Mustang
The air is leaking through the rim and even welding the cracks won’t work. Mine was welded twice by guys (again GM rims) who repair exotic wheels and they gave up and gave my money back. You have to get a new rim period. As for the cars? They all suck but the GM LT1 motor I had sucked the most. Endless problems. Ford motors are generally better with the V8s.

Hashbrownn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
cars, SUVs & trucks
My previous experience with GM/Chevy makes me absolutely hate their service/warranty department. I suppose every manufacturers have bad ones, but the way they treated me and my claims left the worst taste in my mouth.
I'm not going to say that my Mustang was issue free, it had to go in few times for warranty work, but the difference is that my dealer and my service advisors makes sure that my concerns are heard and fixed.

SVT-DADDY

World's heaviest S550
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Convertible
Vehicle Showcase
No issues here.

PP brakes will almost hurtle you through the windshield....
Even stock GT brakes are good enough to take some getting used to after driving my winter car for a while.
Sponsored