Lowering driver seat

Cobraracer79

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ken
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, Magnetic, PP1, 401A, MR, VE, A10, shaker audio
You sure you have the seat all the way down? I'm 6'1 but only a 31" inseam, so a pretty tall torso also. I have about 4" of clearance without a helmet. Helmet is very close to the headliner but not rubbing.
Yes. Seat is down. 6’2”, 30” inseam. So that knocks off about 2” and I don’t lean the seat back much. Same issue when I test drove a different car, same model. My 12 GT was fine.
Sponsored

Cobraracer79

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ken
Vehicle(s)
I'm thinking you don't have the seat set right. 6'2' here and I have plenty of headroom.
The power seat will not go down any more and I don’t see anything stopping it from going down. I have a very tall torso and have this issue in many cars that’s why I want to lower the seat. Test drove a different2018 GT and had the same issue.

808muscle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium Whipple, 2006 GT Blown and cammed
Im 6.3 and with a helmet my head is touching the roof. My thoughts are the same, the seat is set too high. Just gotta set the seatback adjuster a click back.

Stangnut

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt BHG
Nothing is blocking your seat. Ford just has it up too high.

Last edited:
OP
OP

S550Josh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18GT Premium (On order)
Yeah nothing is blocking my seat and its put all the way down

Sponsored

Infidex

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT w/ Tremor Package (PP2)
Have you tried to adjust your distance from the pedals/wheel and then recline the seat some. I don't have any headroom issues, but I sit a bit closer to the dash then I do in other vehicles and have a decent recline on the rear of the seat. Very comfy for me, but not like the seat set up you would typically drive in a truck or other seat where you need a bit more upright to see over hood. If you think the front is bad, try climbing in the back seat and I bet you'll need 6 inches or more to sit straight up without hitting roof/rear glass.

Grintch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
Did you custom fab the factory seat mounts or were they mounts specifically for the Recaros?
How much could you get with just the seat mounts, I really don't want to change the seats? I am only 6'2" but with a very tall torso and my helmet is up against the roof.

Thanks
I started with the Planted mounts, and Recaro sliders. These got me 1 to 1.5" lower than stock. Had to go with custom fabricated mounts to get to even lower so my head didn't hit the roof when wearing a helmet. Keep the "standard" Planted mount on the passenger side.

Nice side effect, I can now see red lights without having to crane my neck forward or to the side.

My seats are the Evo 8 seats (essentially the same as Speed or Sport seats from Recaros aftermarket line). They look and fit like the Cloth OEM Recaros, but with a blue pattern instead of solid black/charcoal. Which works out well with my DIB car. Being airbag free, they are probably 20 lbs lighter than stock per side. Until they sit in them, and notice how low they are, no one realizes that they are not OEM.

phillybob232

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
White Platinum 2017 GT/CS
For those commenting about how you have plenty of room, please stop. Some of us do not have enough space and this thread should be filled with discussion about potential solutions. You are not helping anyone by saying your situation is fine. Congratulations, you're short enough, now move on.

Cobraracer79

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ken
Vehicle(s)
I started with the Planted mounts, and Recaro sliders. These got me 1 to 1.5" lower than stock. Had to go with custom fabricated mounts to get to even lower so my head didn't hit the roof when wearing a helmet. Keep the "standard" Planted mount on the passenger side.

Nice side effect, I can now see red lights without having to crane my neck forward or to the side.

My seats are the Evo 8 seats (essentially the same as Speed or Sport seats from Recaros aftermarket line). They look and fit like the Cloth OEM Recaros, but with a blue pattern instead of solid black/charcoal. Which works out well with my DIB car. Being airbag free, they are probably 20 lbs lighter than stock per side. Until they sit in them, and notice how low they are, no one realizes that they are not OEM.

Thanks Grintch, that's the type of info I was looking for!! I will check out those seats. Hopefully they come in Leather too.

phillybob232

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So this is what I could do without swapping to aftermarket seats? Can you share any links, or maybe write up a quick list of everything needed to do this?

Sponsored

GTP

Deutsche Pony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.BambergAudio.com
First Name
Philip
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1 A10 Outrageous Orange HPDE mods
Not trying to thread-jack, but the bottom cushion does not tilt up enough at the front, the steering column does not extend out far enough, the mirror does not adjust high enough up, and the headrest does not go back far enough. There are forum threads for each of these subjects.

Was hoping that Ford would have improved these issues starting with 2018.

These cars are challenging for tall guys to get the best position. :frusty:

GNN60GT500

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brent
Vehicle(s)
19 GT PP1 20 F250 6.7 20 Explorer
OP have someone take a picture of you sitting in your car. I think we all need to see. Something doesn't sound right.

Grintch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
So this is what I could do without swapping to aftermarket seats? Can you share any links, or maybe write up a quick list of everything needed to do this?
No one to my knowledge offers an off the shelf solution for the OE seats. The "bolt pattern" for even the OE Recaros is not compatible with aftermarket (even aftermarket Recaro) mounts.

Thus custom fab is currently the only option with stock seats. The good news is there is plenty of room below the seat for lowering for the standard seats & Recaros. The Premium seats I don't know. The extra heating & cooling hardware would likely make them harder to mod, maybe with less free space availible.

phillybob232

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No one to my knowledge offers an off the shelf solution for the OE seats. The "bolt pattern" for even the OE Recaros is not compatible with aftermarket (even aftermarket Recaro) mounts.

Thus custom fab is currently the only option with stock seats. The good news is there is plenty of room below the seat for lowering for the standard seats & Recaros. The Premium seats I don't know. The extra heating & cooling hardware would likely make them harder to mod, maybe with less free space availible.
:tsk: I had a feeling you'd say that. Thanks for the info!

Rock&Roll

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Stick- 2022 VW GTI Stick -2011 HD Fatboy
For those commenting about how you have plenty of room, please stop. Some of us do not have enough space and this thread should be filled with discussion about potential solutions. You are not helping anyone by saying your situation is fine. Congratulations, you're short enough, now move on.

Your not the boss of me/us/the internet :crazy:
Sponsored