Sponsored

Just finished installing part of the Steeda 'stop the hop' kit

lxh89

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ruby Red Mustang GT - Whipple Auto
I installed the enthusiast version of the kit with the differential inserts. I did not install the lower control spherical bushings as I'll do that when I swap my axles. Went with the street bushings on the diff. Zero NVH. Car hits the tires much harder now. Never realized how much those rubber bushings were absorbing.

With the stock 20" Pirelli P-Zeros the car spins much more easily than it did. Obviously the suspension isn't rubber banding like it was. I can't wait to get some drag radials on this puppy. I'm sure it's going feel much better on the street and track.

I've seen several folks claim the back end feels more planted on turns after they installed this kit. I don't really notice any difference in lateral grip. Might be because I need to get it aligned, not sure.

Good purchase none-the-less.

Tony
Sponsored

Houston Kid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 GT500 HE CFTP, '18 WK2 ,'16 Audi A7
Got mine today. I plan on installing tomorrow.

Any tips?

OP
OP

lxh89

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Got mine today. I plan on installing tomorrow.

Any tips?
The aluminum spacers, especially the ones for the rear subframe mounts, use a pry bar to open up space to fit them the bottom ones with the bolts. Lubing them helps a little, but the pry bar helped me slide them in.

On the front differential bushings, loosen the rear subframe mounts while taking the fronts completely out. This will give you enough space to get the front bushings installed with the bolt/washer. The instructions say this but I have a tendency to ignore instructions and do my own thing.

Also, on the subframe mount bolts, make sure you thread them in good by hand before you hit them with an impact. I almost stripped one by getting little overzealous.

Tony

SteedaTech

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Q750
The aluminum spacers, especially the ones for the rear subframe mounts, use a pry bar to open up space to fit them the bottom ones with the bolts. Lubing them helps a little, but the pry bar helped me slide them in.

On the front differential bushings, loosen the rear subframe mounts while taking the fronts completely out. This will give you enough space to get the front bushings installed with the bolt/washer. The instructions say this but I have a tendency to ignore instructions and do my own thing.

Also, on the subframe mount bolts, make sure you thread them in good by hand before you hit them with an impact. I almost stripped one by getting little overzealous.

Tony
Thank you for sharing!!
Steeda Tech

Houston Kid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yep, pry bar needed to get the ones for the top back in. That was the only PIA part of the whole job. I did have to use a pry bar to get the sub frame bolts centered and started by hand but it only required minimal movement to get them aligned.

I’m also going to do the bushings at a later date.
All good now.

Looks to be another well engineered and well made product by Steeda.

Thanks.

Sponsored

Houston Kid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
lxh89, did you get an alignment? I got one last week after my springs, shocks, and strut install. I am going back to tomorrow to have them check it.

OP
OP

lxh89

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
lxh89, did you get an alignment? I got one last week after my springs, shocks, and strut install. I am going back to tomorrow to have them check it.
Not yet... I'm getting drag radials mounted on Friday then looking to get an alignment after.

Tony

Houston Kid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gotcha. My drivers rear was out of alignment. Good to go now.

OP
OP

lxh89

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Forgot to follow-up on this, I got the car aligned. The toe settings on the rear were all jacked up as was the camber. Had the rears set to zero degree camber and a little toe in (can't recall the exact measure).

At the track, I noticed a massive difference in how quickly the car transfers power to the rear tires. Cut a 1.66' on my first pass with brand new Nitto 555Rs. No wheel hop/shake and the car tracked true.

For any cars doing track duty, these suspension upgrades for the IRS are a no brainer. I initially didn't think I'd get much out of it being an automatic car but I'm now a believer.

Tony

SteedaTech

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Q750
Forgot to follow-up on this, I got the car aligned. The toe settings on the rear were all jacked up as was the camber. Had the rears set to zero degree camber and a little toe in (can't recall the exact measure).

At the track, I noticed a massive difference in how quickly the car transfers power to the rear tires. Cut a 1.66' on my first pass with brand new Nitto 555Rs. No wheel hop/shake and the car tracked true.

For any cars doing track duty, these suspension upgrades for the IRS are a no brainer. I initially didn't think I'd get much out of it being an automatic car but I'm now a believer.

Tony
Hi Tony, thanks for sharing! Using the same components,We won the NMRA true Street event this weekend at Commerce GA
COMMERCE.jpg
Sponsored