Stock clutch at 7500 and up?

jlstro3

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Josh
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Mine was rock solid for 20k miles. Lots of 6k dumps on slicks, shifting at 7500+. The only time I ever had problem was doing a half mile run it didn't like the shift into 5th at high rpms, locked me out.

Around 18k miles I boosted it and I did a lot of pulls, no launching. Finally the stock clutch bit the dust at 20,500 miles. Did a 3rd gear pull and went to grab 4th, clutch stuck to the floor. Dead. Pulled it apart and there was no material left on the pressure plate side.

Just finishing the break in on my exedy hyper twin, about ready to see how she holds. Sure is a grabby clutch, that's for sure. Hoping the best for my mt82.

Josh
Sponsored

AlbertD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT/PP
That’s what I thought.. waiting for a callback from Ford service.
I also have the PP2 tune, put on by local ASE mechanic.

I guess there will be some playing around between the 2 for reverting to stock tune then back to Ford performance tune...
The ProCal programmer will perform the crank relearn without having to go through a reflash process... simply plug the procal in the car, start the car, go to configuration tab, turn on "profile learning", rev the car a few times over 4k rpm... done. Took me less than 5 minutes. If you have questions you can pm me.

Instructions here... https://performanceparts.ford.com/download/PDFS/ProCal3_Instructions.pdf

dsp4848

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP Magnetic
Mine was rock solid for 20k miles. Lots of 6k dumps on slicks, shifting at 7500+. The only time I ever had problem was doing a half mile run it didn't like the shift into 5th at high rpms, locked me out.

Around 18k miles I boosted it and I did a lot of pulls, no launching. Finally the stock clutch bit the dust at 20,500 miles. Did a 3rd gear pull and went to grab 4th, clutch stuck to the floor. Dead. Pulled it apart and there was no material left on the pressure plate side.

Just finishing the break in on my exedy hyper twin, about ready to see how she holds. Sure is a grabby clutch, that's for sure. Hoping the best for my mt82.

Josh
Let us know how you like the Exedy hyper twin and what your experiences are. :cheers:

jlstro3

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Josh
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Let us know how you like the Exedy hyper twin and what your experiences are. :cheers:
Annoying wall of text incoming!!!!!!!!!

I had a mechanic buddy install it so I can't speak for how well it installed, but he said everything went to plan. The whole assembly is lighter than stock, 44lbs (shipping weight of the box) vs 47lbs for the stock system according to him.

He finished up the install and took it around the block then called me up and said come get 'er. I drove it home, short 15 minute drive and I hated it. Keep in mind I've never driven a car w/ a gnarly clutch like this...but it juddered badly taking off. Wanted to stall every time because it was a light switch, on/off, nothing between. Once moving though it was buttery smooth and seemed to accelerate a little faster/smoother although I was going gentle for the break in.

The next morning I got in the car and had no pedal pressure at all. I had to pump the hell out of it to even get the pressure plate to disengage. Must've had a lot of air stuck in there. It did this to a lesser degree the next morning after sitting overnight again, but hasn't since.

I kept it below 3k and babied it for the 400 miles exedy says in the owners manual. By 100 miles the juddering was mostly gone. By 400 it was not so much the on/off switch, I can module it great now. It's certainly not as easy taking off from a stop sign as the stock one is, but that's to be expected.

It's a grabby clutch for sure. Hoping the MT82 doesn't get eaten alive. Pedal feel is similar to stock, nothing notable either way. I have the steeda clutch spring. It's pretty quiet for the most part but it will make a horrendous noise if you lug it at low rpms hah. Built in downshift notification.

All said and done I like it so far even if it's a little more difficult to drive. The tracks open up here in a couple weeks so we'll see how she does w/ some bias ply tires on the back and some launches.

That is about all I have for now, hopefully it helps.

Josh

Bridgie

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT fastback. PP, 50th trim, Black
Clutch let overs

After my Clutch let go earlier this year.. replaced with an Excedy racing setup.
My friend insisted on taking my Clutch away.

Today he gave me this :

[/url]AD2C2107-8C0A-4A79-A420-C16C7F47F258 by Dave Bridge, on Flickr[/IMG]

Made by his own fair hands.. a permanent reminder not to change gear at 7,000rpm.

Acrylic covered plaque made op of bits and pieces left from the plate.
Probably the best use for a stock clutch that I have seen.
Sponsored