Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
First Name
Tommy
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT PP
Please look at the following photos for clarification.

Please Inspect Your Mustangs ASAP.

This is the feed line from the brake master cylinder to the clutch master cylinder. This is a quick disconnect fitting/line assembly. If any of you are familiar with Truck Air Brake Systems, Industrial Pneumatic Systems etc. you understand how these fittings work.

The fitting uses a locking ring (the very outer ring on the end) to lock the hose in position. Typically you push this lock ring in towards the hose to release it. (We are not doing that so please don't try it)

What we found tonight was the fitting was almost all the way off the stem of the master cylinder reservoir. I grabbed the hose and it immediately leaked brake fluid, so I pushed it on all the way and it is now locked in position as it should be.

This was verified by [MENTION=14941]apex15stangPP[/MENTION] who was kind enough to provide a picture (First Picture) before he pushed his back into position with the same result, fluid leaking out.

Why this is important to check:

1. If it falls off it will empty a large portion of your brake fluid.
2. If it leaks fluid out when you touch it that means that every time you press your clutch in you potentially could be drawing air into your clutch hydraulic circuit.

This will cause you to never fully bleed your clutch, the more you pump the more you are possibly bringing additional air into the system.

If you have shifting issues, either gear nibble or just really poor gear changes in general, this may be part of the cause. It may not be the MT82 directly.

If you have had a transmission or clutch failure it may be related to a poor release due to the air in the system as the root cause and the contingent damage is the clutch or transmission.

What you want to do:
1. Inspect it, if it looks like the second picture you should be good. Lightly (Everything is Plastic Hercules) pull on the line to see if it is locked into position. DO NOT USE EXCESSIVE FORCE

2. If you find yours looks similar to the first picture, simply grab the hose about 1" from the end and GENTLY push it back onto the stem of the master cylinder. It should look like the second picture. Now perform Step 1.

3. Have a bottle of water handy to rinse off the brake fluid that may leak out so it doesn't damage the paint etc.

If you do not feel comfortable doing this, don't. Bring it someplace (Ford perhaps) and have them check it/repair it.

What we don't know yet:

If they left the factory this way or heat/vibration have caused them to move. We don't know for certain if they are drawing in air and contributing to other issues. Apex and I both track our cars so there is a lot of heat and vibration present.

Please comment what you find and if you have had any clutch/transmission issues prior to this.
Clutch Line Not In Place.jpg
Clutch Line In Place.jpg
Sponsored

Amacron

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350, 2015 Mustang GT Premium
Vehicle Showcase
2015 5.0 gt. Mine was like the first pic. I pushed it back in but will try tomorrow to pull it out and see if it comes off or leaks. Going to bed and didn't want to have to clean up a mess. Thanks for the heads up.

WhiteyDog

WOOF!!!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT PP
Mine was pulled away somewhere between the distances in the first and second pictures. It's kinda hard to tell how long the plastic tube is that's sticking out of the reservoir. I pushed mine in a little more, but it seems like the hose isn't quite long enough to push it in like the second picture shows.
THANK YOU GUYS, FOR BRINGING THIS TO EVERYONE'S ATTENTION.

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
I just checked mine. I pushed on the end of the tube pretty good to see if it would slide any farther on to the nipple, but it didn't seem to move from what I could tell. In fact, it even seeped a very tiny amount (no drips) of brake fluid around the rubber seal on the end of the tube from pushing on it. I could see the rubber seal on the very end of the tube flex a little as I tried to push it farther on the nipple. I measured from the end of the tube to the lip on the nipple and got 8 mm.

I don't see any kind of locking/release mechanism at this connection. The shop manual simply shows that it pulls off and pushes on (see attached).

I suggest people don't pull on it to see if it comes off the nipple, because if pulled hard enough it will pop off ... then you're going to have a mess with paint eating brake fluid.

If anyone does pull the feed tube off, please take a photo so we can see how long the nipple is and if there is some kind of flange on the end to help retain the tube. I have a feeling there's a flange that the rubber seal has to expand and slip over to get the tube on & off the nipple.
Clutch Master Cylinder Feed Tube.JPG
Clutch Master Cylinder Feed Tube Disconnect (shop manual).JPG

Sponsored

Johnny 5

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19' GT Premium, 6MT
Mine was pulled away somewhere between the distances in the first and second pictures. It's kinda hard to tell how long the plastic tube is that's sticking out of the reservoir. I pushed mine in a little more, but it seems like the hose isn't quite long enough to push it in like the second picture shows.
THANK YOU GUYS, FOR BRINGING THIS TO EVERYONE'S ATTENTION.
I just checked mine and I have the exact same situation.

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
Be careful messing with this tube. I pushed on mine pretty hard - enough to make the rubber seal at the end of the tube flex some and seep a little brake fluid - and the tube didn't move any more on the nipple. It's possible that pushing way too hard breaks something which allows it to slide farther onto the nipple than it really should.

WhiteyDog

WOOF!!!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT PP
Be careful messing with this tube. I pushed on mine pretty hard - enough to make the rubber seal at the end of the tube flex some and seep a little brake fluid - and the tube didn't move any more on the nipple. It's possible that pushing way too hard breaks something which allows it to slide farther onto the nipple than it really should.
Yeah, I think you may have a point. I pushed on mine pretty good, but didn't have any seeping. I wonder if a small hose clamp would be an easy fix for this. But then again, if you go tightening a clamp too much, with that hose pulling on the end of the tube it may possibly put too much stress on the tube.

WhiteyDog

WOOF!!!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT PP
My viewpoint is, if you push on it with pretty good force and it won't move any farther onto the nipple, and it's not leaking then leave it alone.
Was kinda thinking that also. Mess with it too much, and you may be asking for problems.

Sponsored

VinnAY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Camaro 1SS/1LE
Mine was as in pic #1, no fluid leak but there's no slack in that line to push it either.

stoli

Fat Guy Racing
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
'15 Black GT/PP
Be careful. Since my car was already down from the slave failing I figure I'd check this. I could see some seeping and barely touched the connection it it came right off. It appears the outer hose is coming loose from the underlying rubber seal. I had to slide the smaller rubber fitting off of the nipple, put it back inside the hose, and re-install. It's definitely tight on the nipple now compared to when it came off.

In the first pic you can see where the outer hose has begun to come loose from the inner gasket/seal/whatever it's called. Just a slight pull and it came right off the nipple, leaving the rubber portion behind.

EDIT: To be fair - I've had my master cylinder replaced by the dealer so my specifics may not be the same as assembly line issues, but it certainly seems awfully similar.
FullSizeRender.jpg
IMG_4077.JPG
IMG_4080.JPG

Last edited:

armykyle1 [HACKED ACCOUNT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP premium
Sub'd, when I get my car back from the body shop, I'll be checking this.

Whiskey11

Kill ALL the Cones!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red Base GT/PP
Mine was like the first picture and it took a considerable amount of force (relatively) to get it back up to the top as if the line was too short or something. I've added this to my checklist of stuff to check before each autocross event.... also going to add the oil "cooler" (heater) lines too since there is a recall on some Mustangs made in the later part of 2015 that have problems with hoses coming off or something!

Hopefully I find out soon if my VIN is on the affected cars list since my car sees fairly regular autocross duties! Last thing I want is to have problems out there in a brand new vehicle! I guess worst case scenario, my 2015 only has 11k miles on it so Ford Roadside can come get me... it'd suck to have to use them though....
Sponsored