Temps are starting to get ridiculous...

aleccesarenriquez

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alec
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP
So I made a post a couple of months back about high IATs (~160 F).

For the last few days, things seem to be getting out of hand.

Yesterday, my IATs hit 190 while idling. (They do fall when I start to move)

Today, on top of my high IATs, I saw my CHTs hit 260. I've never seen either temp that high before in my year of owning it.

I can understand that it was very hot outside the last few days (around 100 F), but those numbers seem extraordinarily high even with that in mind.

A couple of questions:

What might be causing this besides the high ambient temp?

What is considered dangerous? Like at what point should I probably pull over and let the bay cool before I blow something up?

Is there anything I can do to remedy this? 170 tstat? Leaving the AC off? New radiator? I live in Houston so it never gets cold down here -> should I change the coolant mixture?

Thanks in advance
Sponsored

Phenom5.0

5.2 ^^^
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Tech Metallic
Move:D

Check your air filter?

Is it right when you start driving or after a while?

Zinc03svt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
stang
Move... Lol, I had family that used to live down there. Hell hole in summer. As long as your not attempting wot pulls you should he ok. Ethanol aka e85 burns cooler and lowers cylinder temps. :).

s550_GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT
I live in Palm springs area and we see temps around 110-115 daily and never have seen my temps rise that high. max ive seen is 220 CH and IAT sit at 156-160 if im sitting at a red light once i move they are back down to ambient temps.

check intake, check coolant levels.

Joe 5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT/PP
Vehicle Showcase
+1 for moving, lmao!

Take a peek at your coolant. GT's become low on coolant for some reason. Top it off with OEM fluid.

You can also wrap your intake tube and heat-shield with gold reflective tape, as well as create a cover out of plexiglass for your intake.

As another member said above, E85 burns cooler, so get a flex fuel tune and give it a shot.

Sponsored

OP
OP
aleccesarenriquez

aleccesarenriquez

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alec
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP
Move:D

Check your air filter?

Is it right when you start driving or after a while?
Move... Lol, I had family that used to live down there. Hell hole in summer. As long as your not attempting wot pulls you should he ok. What gas do you run? Ethanol aka e85 burns cooler and lowers cylinder temps. :).
Trust me, I don't enjoy living on the surface of the sun. I'm getting out of here as soon as I can.

I have been making an effort to avoid any stupid driving under those conditions; in fact I baby it like crazy when sitting in traffic.

As far as what I'm running, currently on 93 but I'll be back on e85 within a week hopefully so that should help a tad.

HardWork

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Base Oxford White
I had the same problem with the PMAS intake. Not that high of a IAT though. I am in the IE Cali and for the last 2 years we have been getting humid summers instead of the normal dry heat. I added a 170 thermastat before summer hit and it did bring the Engine and IAT's down a little and my PMAS doesn't heat soak as much. However we reached 108 two weeks ago and my IAT's was 170 idled. Moving at 70mph they went too 147 to 150ish. Last week I added velossa big mouths to the car. I kept the Center grill and cut out the sides to expose them. IAT's have risen to 152 in 103 weather idled but at 45 mph they drop fast. I am typically at 12 degrees to 15 degrees above ambient in stop and go 8 to 10 when driving on freeway. Huge Huge difference. So if you are in a place that gets really hot then it is worth the 200 bucks they charge. I got mine used from a member on the forums. Pretty sure when summer is over I will be running 2 or 3 degrees over ambient. I guess the argument could made that opening the grill would have the same effect, Maf reading on my N-guage tell me the Velossa's are doing what they were designed for. Sorry for being long winded but just giving you my experience I posted a thread like this 3 month's ago about my PMAS intake high IAT's.

Beerdy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Magnetic GTPP
Ouch, that's crazy high. I was idling for about 10-15 minutes in a drive through yesterday in 108 degrees, and my IAT topped out at 126 with CHT at 232. I have a 170 tstat and Mishimoto radiator. However, I think the ProCharger intercooler also helps, because my IATs come down quickly when I start moving and usually stay around 3-4 degrees above ambient. Maybe you need an intercooler :lol:

OP
OP
aleccesarenriquez

aleccesarenriquez

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alec
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP
I live in Palm springs area and we see temps around 110-115 daily and never have seen my temps rise that high. max ive seen is 220 CH and IAT sit at 156-160 if im sitting at a red light once i move they are back down to ambient temps.

check intake, check coolant levels.
I had the same problem with the PMAS intake. Not that high of a IAT though. I am in the IE Cali and for the last 2 years we have been getting humid summers instead of the normal dry heat. I added a 170 thermastat before summer hit and it did bring the Engine and IAT's down a little and my PMAS doesn't heat soak as much. However we reached 108 two weeks ago and my IAT's was 170 idled. Moving at 70mph they went too 147 to 150ish. Last week I added velossa big mouths to the car. I kept the Center grill and cut out the sides to expose them. IAT's have risen to 152 in 103 weather idled but at 45 mph they drop fast. I am typically at 12 degrees to 15 degrees above ambient in stop and go 8 to 10 when driving on freeway. Huge Huge difference. So if you are in a place that gets really hot then it is worth the 200 bucks they charge. I got mine used from a member on the forums. Pretty sure when summer is over I will be running 2 or 3 degrees over ambient. I guess the argument could made that opening the grill would have the same effect, Maf reading on my N-guage tell me the Velossa's are doing what they were designed for. Sorry for being long winded but just giving you my experience I posted a thread like this 3 month's ago about my PMAS intake high IAT's.
So I've drilled out the honeycomb in the area that lead to the inlet duct for the intake. I'm getting a mesh grill installed tomorrow, so hopefully that will help out even further.

Also, sure enough, my coolant was pretty low. I'm not sure if this is typical or if I might have a leak somewhere.

Edit: forgot to answer someones question: it drops to near ambient when I'm moving around, maybe 10 degrees higher when I'm on the highway. If it's night, it's maybe 4 degrees higher. It's just when I'm in traffic or hitting a bunch of lights that it gets out of hand.

JackBauer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Magnetic base GT 6SP
my CHT's hover around 205-207 during traffic with a/c on, with a/c off it hovers around 215-220. the IAT's are usually 5-10 degrees hotter than ambient while moving, however in traffic they rise up to around 130ish from what ive seen. its been in the 105-115F here in dfw area.

i don't have a tune and have a airraid intake which has a closed box so maybe that helps.

Sponsored

AZ18yote

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bryan
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Prem PP Magnetic
Trust me, I don't enjoy living on the surface of the sun. I'm getting out of here as soon as I can.

As far as what I'm running, currently on 93 but I'll be back on e85 within a week hopefully so that should help a tad.
That's not too bad. Try Phoenix, it's hotter, we don't have 93 octane and our e is mostly true flex fuel around e54. The grass is always greener :D

Joking aside good luck with new grill and cooling project.

CEHollier

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charles
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium Magnetic
Vehicle Showcase
My temps got up to 220 sitting at redlights in 100 degree weather. When I drive they go down to 198 to 210 degrees. I have a stock thermostat and JLT intake.

Burkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Are your fans working correctly?

OP
OP
aleccesarenriquez

aleccesarenriquez

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alec
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP
Are your fans working correctly?
They're definitely running, but I'm not sure if there is more to it than that. Taking it to Ford tomorrow to get the coolant topped off (I'll ask them if they can add a mixture with a higher ratio of water than antifreeze since Houston's seasons are hot and less hot) and coolant lines looked at. Maybe we can give the fans a quick inspection too. I'm still in the learning curve for all of this (first car I've purchased).

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
_¯_¯ 88*c? That's cray cray! ¯_¯_ Still have your hood insulation on?
Sponsored