Sponsored

2018 MGW 2nd Gear Lockout

ATTFighter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Does anyone have an MGW shifter installed on their 2018 GT? I am having an issue shifting into second gear under load/high rpms. It is 100% locked out 10/10 times I try shifting into second gear from first under load. Normal driving it is 100% fine and smooth as butter.

I already emailed George about it and I advised him that when I am at idle no matter how hard I bang it into second from first goes right in. So he's thinking it may be a stock clutch issue and not the reverse lockout pin adjustment. My car has 800 miles on the odometer and is otherwise stock could the twin disc clutch in the 18s really be stopping me from shifting into second under load? It seems kind of ridiculous to have to get an aftermarket clutch to shift a car into second gear under load with stock power numbers.
Sponsored

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Gotta be the clutch, or your slave cylinder is taking a dive.

OP
OP

ATTFighter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Gotta be the clutch, or your slave cylinder is taking a dive.
Car is brand new with 800 miles and I went WOT for the first time just the other day, that would be nuts. Maybe it's worth checking the reverse lockout pin adjustment on the MGW just in case. Also i didn't mention it shifts into every other gear perfectly under load /high rpms. First to second is the only issue.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
I've only had it happen with operator error (rushing it/clutch not all the way in). Get the timing right and you should be able to bang them in.

Also, it's very improbable that you have a clutch issue but you wouldn't be the first with low mileage.

OP
OP

ATTFighter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I've only had it happen with operator error (rushing it/clutch not all the way in). Get the timing right and you should be able to bang them in.

Also, it's very improbable that you have a clutch issue but you wouldn't be the first with low mileage.
I can confirm it's not operator error because I had a 2013 GT with an MGW and never had an issue as well as a 2015 supercharged GT with the same shifter and never an issue either.

I am also finding it highly improbable like you said that my clutch is bad on a brand new car with 800 miles that went over 5k rpms for the first time this past week. If it was the the slave cylinder/clutch issue all the gears would be giving me a problem right?

I am starting to think maybe the reverse lockout pin adjustment is off, MGW says it's usually perfect 9/10 times from the factory and as I mentioned it gives me no issues banging it into second at idle or low rpms. I was just hoping I wouldn't have to tear apart the console to adjust the pin but looks like I may have to try that next.

Sponsored

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
I can confirm it's not operator error because I had a 2013 GT with an MGW and never had an issue as well as a 2015 supercharged GT with the same shifter and never an issue either.

I am also finding it highly improbable like you said that my clutch is bad on a brand new car with 800 miles that went over 5k rpms for the first time this past week. If it was the the slave cylinder/clutch issue all the gears would be giving me a problem right?

I am starting to think maybe the reverse lockout pin adjustment is off, MGW says it's usually perfect 9/10 times from the factory and as I mentioned it gives me no issues banging it into second at idle or low rpms. I was just hoping I wouldn't have to tear apart the console to adjust the pin but looks like I may have to try that next.
Yeah. I had to adjust mine very slightly too. Could be that. The ratio spread is largest between first and second and the clutch has more to take up between that shift than any other, particularly when shifting at high rpm.

OP
OP

ATTFighter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Yeah. I had to adjust mine very slightly too. Could be that. The ratio spread is largest between first and second and the clutch has more to take up between that shift than any other, particularly when shifting at high rpm.
Thanks for your help. I will report back after trying the adjustment.

347CobraII

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
Watch video on how to adjust from MGW It's on website

Brazen_Chariot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
I'm late to the game but I've got the same issue when going into second and third at times. I've got an 18 GT with 2k miles on it now and it's been happening since I first took it into the higher RPMs after about 1000k miles. It wouldn't happen all the time but it was pretty often. The car is at the dealership now because of it.

I've also had an issue with it grinding going into second and third after cold starts and shifting at < 2500 RPM.

Sponsored

Brazen_Chariot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Does anyone have an MGW shifter installed on their 2018 GT? I am having an issue shifting into second gear under load/high rpms. It is 100% locked out 10/10 times I try shifting into second gear from first under load. Normal driving it is 100% fine and smooth as butter.

I already emailed George about it and I advised him that when I am at idle no matter how hard I bang it into second from first goes right in. So he's thinking it may be a stock clutch issue and not the reverse lockout pin adjustment. My car has 800 miles on the odometer and is otherwise stock could the twin disc clutch in the 18s really be stopping me from shifting into second under load? It seems kind of ridiculous to have to get an aftermarket clutch to shift a car into second gear under load with stock power numbers.

Got a call from the dealership that they reached out to Ford and they're going to replace the clutch.

ia2004anderson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium PP2
I just installed the mgw today and it locks me out of 2nd every time I am above 20mph. I will try adjusting the pin to see if that helps. Any resolution with your issuem

CNCLester

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lester
Vehicle(s)
18 GT performance pack. Lighting blue
I just installed the mgw today and it locks me out of 2nd every time I am above 20mph. I will try adjusting the pin to see if that helps. Any resolution with your issuem
I have an 18, installed mgw a couple months ago. I had good pin adjustment from mgw, checked twice during install.
I have been locked out of second a few times. I feel each time that's happened my timing was off or I short stroked the clutch pedal. Being more diligent on clutching a little deeper with the pedal solved the issue for me. Not saying your pin is set right, we installed one on my friends 17 last month and the pin adjustment was off a full turn.

ia2004anderson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium PP2
I have an 18, installed mgw a couple months ago. I had good pin adjustment from mgw, checked twice during install.
I have been locked out of second a few times. I feel each time that's happened my timing was off or I short stroked the clutch pedal. Being more diligent on clutching a little deeper with the pedal solved the issue for me. Not saying your pin is set right, we installed one on my friends 17 last month and the pin adjustment was off a full turn.
Mine goes into second just fine when stopped. But anything iver 15 mph it wont go in ..and never on down shift till I stop and get it into first.

ia2004anderson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium PP2
When I get an afternoon free I will try adjusting the pin and see if that helps. But I'm worried its something else.
Sponsored