Sponsored

Ford Confirms 2019 Shelby GT500 Mustang, Supercharged V8 Over 700HP [Teaser Video]

falcongtho3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Mach 1 ; 2013 Boss 302
What needs to really happen is for Ford to get off of its corporate butt and get this thing on the streets so it can field a NASCAR GT500 Cup car, since GM has gone to the ZL1 Camaro for its cup car instead of the defunct, and barely ever seen on the streets, SS sedan.

Falc'man

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Falcon
Say what you want, but he offers a better performing car for the money at the moment and Ford is struggling to keep up performance per dollar wise. Good thing for Ford his design department isn't as good. Regardless competition makes sure as owners and sport car fans we all win! :)

GM is doing great things on the performance side. The problem is their sales suffer because of a design that makes the Camaro not the most daily friendly sports car experience. Trust me if I felt more comfortable in a Camaro ZL1 I'd own one because it's a performance bargain.

You're right that Ford Performance did something unique with the GT350 having the FPC V8 and it paid off. All things point to the GT500 going back to a traditional CPC V8 Supercharged setup. While it will probably destroy a GT350R, will it have enough character to make it "special" like the GT350?

The 13/14 GT500 ran into a similar problem. While it was faster than the 12-13 Boss 302, the automotive media preferred the Boss 302 as a drivers car. Owning both I agree the Boss 302 was the better balanced car, but I do sometimes miss the stupid amount of power in my 14 GT500. It seems like the majority of people that are still interested in performance cars want "power that turns" more than just ridiculous amounts of power.

These hero cars that we all like to brag about are there to attract buyers to the volume donor cars they'r based off. They're also value-adders, flagships, and so on. If that's the nuts and bolts of it, then it's Chevrolet that's failed, and that failure can be attributed to a costly mistake in the design of the "glasshouse" and ergonomics, which make it a difficult car to live with. Dynamically, yes, it's a better car, but the the people paying for these cars don't push them to 10 tenths to know otherwise, and if they do it'll be less than 5% of them, 1% of the time.

Ford are not behind on anything; they're just taking their time because Chevrolet shot itself in the foot.

MikeyV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 GT Premium - Brembo - Race Red
Falcon, totally. The firkin Fusion? Lame. It's cool for NASCAR that Chevy fields the 'Maro now. (I love NASCAR..still, somehow)

And I'm with Machsmith. You know what they say, a day late and a dollar short.

I hate Chevrolet, I've always been a diehard FORD fan.

I say this. The ZL1-1LE is dope, feature-wise. The last Z-28 was wicked. Never would buy one, and I wouldn't piss on one if it was on fire. But Ford looks pretty lame here. Like they're not interested in putting the smack down. The Bullitt at NAIAS? Fuuuuuu....

It's a crying' shame.

Sponsored

likeaboss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Corvette Z51
What needs to really happen is for Ford to get off of its corporate butt and get this thing on the streets so it can field a NASCAR GT500 Cup car, since GM has gone to the ZL1 Camaro for its cup car instead of the defunct, and barely ever seen on the streets, SS sedan.
How about NASCAR go back to race cars built on the stock car...

MikeyV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 GT Premium - Brembo - Race Red
How about NASCAR go back to race cars built on the stock car...
For real. Anyone who cites safety is full of crap.
They use stock based race cars in That Weathertech series, Australian Supercar and the LeMans classes (like the Vettes, Ford GT and Porsche 911, Lambos, Ferraris, etc.

To be fair, Stock Cars were not stock but for body panels by 1967 or so. About when Ford went to Unibody construction, like the 1967 Fairlane.

stinger556

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Family hauler, for now
They use stock based race cars in That Weathertech series, Australian Supercar and the LeMans classes (like the Vettes, Ford GT and Porsche 911, Lambos, Ferraris, etc.
Yea, and guess what? NASCAR has more viewership then all of those series COMBINED. There is a reason NASCAR stays on top, and its because of the high speed sustained racing - which takes a special car body so that all cars are competitive.

Ponyboy4

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dakota
Vehicle(s)
2004 GT Premium
For real. Anyone who cites safety is full of crap.

To be fair, Stock Cars were not stock but for body panels by 1967 or so. About when Ford went to Unibody construction, like the 1967 Fairlane.
Fair point, but none of those cars see 180+ for 90% of the race like the stock cars do. Remember Austin Dillon's crash at Daytona a few years back? I'd like to see how any of the cars in the series you mentioned would've held up to that.
I'd like to see them race heavily modified versions of cars from the showroom floor too, but its not going to happen unless they get away from circle tracks, which they wont.
Other than safety, the big reason we'll never see this is because of the difference in body shapes between manufacturer's cars. NASCAR's main "theme" is racing at a high speed for a long time (save for the smaller tracks), and being able to work the draft and all. Racing cars from the showroom floor would never allow them to keep the playing field level in that manner.

Ponyboy4

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dakota
Vehicle(s)
2004 GT Premium
Yea, and guess what? NASCAR has more viewership then all of those series COMBINED. There is a reason NASCAR stays on top, and its because of the high speed sustained racing - which takes a special car body so that all cars are competitive.
Was typing the post as you submitted I guess! More or less what I was trying to say.

Sponsored

02gtnh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 corvette conv. 17 F150

Just found this! Sound very promising!!!! 700++++++++. Love that part!! Venom kills Demons'
Did you catch Patterson say 2020 is going to be a great year? What do you think he means?:shrug:

GT500TT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Porsche turbo
I did. Not sure. Could be a 2020 year model out next year 2019?? The teaser did say available in 2019. Or hopefully he just misspoke!!!!