wolfman
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stewart
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang fast back 5.0 V8
Hi All

Does anyone know if the new 2018 six-speed manual with a twin-disc clutch and dual-mass flywheel fit into the 2016 m-82 transmission.
Getting great reviews so far. If so might wait before I buy a McLeod RXT as may be a cheaper option,:thumbsup:
Sponsored

hinch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sideways
the casing is the same so the clutch and fw should fit right in but you'd probably be better off trying to get the whole box inc the gears as the new longer ratios would really suit a boosted car over the ratios we have in the current box.

OP
OP

WOLFMAN

wolfman
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stewart
Vehicle(s)
the casing is the same so the clutch and fw should fit right in but you'd probably be better off trying to get the whole box inc the gears as the new longer ratios would really suit a boosted car over the ratios we have in the current box.
I wonder how much Ford will charge for the whole box, better start saving my pennies.:eyebulge:

OP
OP

WOLFMAN

wolfman
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stewart
Vehicle(s)
Just saw this clip.
The Getrag MT82 has also undergone a bit of innovating.
For 2018, the Ford Mustang GT’s MT82 gets brand-new gear ratios to make full use of the more-potent, 460-horsepower Coyote V8. It’s dubbed the “MT82-D4” for its direct-drive fourth gear (the version in the outgoing Mustang GT had a direct-drive fifth), and its duality of overdrive gears ought to help bring down engine speed during highway cruising. (Despite this, the EPA’s fuel economy ratings for the Ford Mustang GT manual have not budged relative to 2017.)
Responding to customer criticism about shifts sometimes being hard to execute, Ford has also taken the liberty of changing out the MT82-D4’s synchromesh rings, revising the cone angles and tooth geometry to help slide into gears a bit easier. The clutch on the newest Ford Mustang GT has been overhauled, as well, making use of a new twin-disk setup to increase the torque limit while decreasing the amount of effort required to depress the pedal. EcoBoost models don’t get that clutch setup, but they have received a new diaphragm spring and cover, which again raises torque capacity while improving pedal feel.
Mating with the twin-disk clutch in GT models is a new dual-mass flywheel, which should work to dampen violent changes in torque and rotational speed.
When taken together, all of this means the newly-revamped, 2018 Ford Mustang GT ought to deliver smoother, quicker shifts with easier clutch operation, all while taking some of the harshness out of the driveline.:thumbsup:

HISSMAN

Large Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Oxford White GT/PP Premium
I haven't found any reason to get rid of the OE clutch on these. Mine is great. When it wears out, I will replace it probably with another one unless there is a better single disk for about the same price. For track days and events, it hasn't let me down or had any weaknesses yet. Sometimes swapping for the sake of swapping causes more problems and cost than it is worth. Now, if I was a drag racer, then I can see why.

Sponsored

hinch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sideways
I haven't found any reason to get rid of the OE clutch on these. Mine is great. When it wears out, I will replace it probably with another one unless there is a better single disk for about the same price. For track days and events, it hasn't let me down or had any weaknesses yet. Sometimes swapping for the sake of swapping causes more problems and cost than it is worth. Now, if I was a drag racer, then I can see why.
I think his main problem is he's boosted well into 700+ range and the factory clutch is on its limits.

As for the new gear box I know people have complained (reviewers and owners) about it being lazy which is due to its longer ratios so but those ratios do really suit sc/turbo applications check with someone like livernois or lmr see if they could source you an 18 box and how much it'd be vs cost of going direct to ford.

Either that or wait it out a few months you can guarantee there'll be one written off within a month of deliveries

OP
OP

WOLFMAN

wolfman
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stewart
Vehicle(s)
I think his main problem is he's boosted well into 700+ range and the factory clutch is on its limits.

As for the new gear box I know people have complained (reviewers and owners) about it being lazy which is due to its longer ratios so but those ratios do really suit sc/turbo applications check with someone like livernois or lmr see if they could source you an 18 box and how much it'd be vs cost of going direct to ford.

Either that or wait it out a few months you can guarantee there'll be one written off within a month of deliveries
Been looking at 2017 transmision units for the 2016-17 on FP & LMR and they are about $3,600. Will assume the 2018 will be a lot more bucks. Will wait for dollar to get better against the pound and go for the Macleod RXT and Alloy Flywheel at about ÂŁ1,000 from American Muscle.:thumbsup:

hinch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sideways
what about fitting something like a tremac magnum xl

OP
OP

WOLFMAN

wolfman
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stewart
Vehicle(s)
Hinch Yes looked at that as an option and somebody on another forum was going to try the last GT500 transmission. Will speak to you at Howden if you are there. Just lubbed the clutch pedal and springs and the Barton Hybrid 3 is connecting and engaging a lot better now.:D

hinch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sideways
hah just got back from getting new tyres fitted and testing line lock :) video to follow so hopefully ready to see you all tomorrow even though the car is filthy more grey than blue at the moment.
Sponsored