Sponsored

Android Auto - what am I doing wrong?

CaptainSensible

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shadow Black Mustang V8 GT Coupe
Tried using Android Auto for the first time this weekend but couldn't get it to work. Just wondered if anyone could explain where I went wrong?

- Downloaded Android Auto on to my phone
- Opened Android Auto on my phone
- Connected my phone to my car via USB cable

Then nothing? Android Auto showing on my phone screen, but not on the Sync 3 screen? Any idea why?
Sponsored

hinch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sideways
don't open android auto straight away on phone connect phone first and it should prompt you to start android auto

before that though you have to go into the settings and enable android auto its something like allow mobile applications or something then it can detect and sync the apps from the phone to the car.

marks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Race Red Manual
I believe there will be an update from Google for this sporadic issue. Can usually be corrected by reconnecting the USB and restating Andoid Auto

OP
OP
CaptainSensible

CaptainSensible

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks, I'll give that a try later.

Chappers

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Supra MkV - Tungsten Silver
you need to allow it in the settings menu on sync 3 first before it'll work. and then you need to run through first time set up on your phone too.

Sponsored

OP
OP
CaptainSensible

CaptainSensible

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tried all of the above, inclusing allowing AA on Sync 3 in settings, but still no joy. Phone is charging when connected so it's clearly connecting in some form, but can't get my phone to talk to Sync 3. Think I need to pop into my dealer.

Broomboy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dale
Vehicle(s)
Lightning Blue GT
Sorry if this is a stupid question, but you do have it plugged into the USB in the centre console? If i remember right the one under the screen doesnt work for android auto..

marks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sorry if this is a stupid question, but you do have it plugged into the USB in the centre console? If i remember right the one under the screen doesnt work for android auto..
works for me, the usb under the screen

hinch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sideways
think its only the usb under the screen that works on it not the ones in the arm rest.

Broomboy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dale
Vehicle(s)
Lightning Blue GT
Nope mine only works in the arm rest just tried it again :)

Sponsored

jacknifetoaswan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Mustang GT Premium Performance Pack
Mine works on both USB ports. Try using a different/better cable. The cables that came with my Google Nexus 6P and Pixel XL work perfectly, but almost all other cables will not. Believe it or not, cables make a big difference for this stuff, and the non-OEM cables are typically garbage, especially if they're USB-C.

JR

marks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yep, I use the default cable with the Pixel XL but still seems a bit temperamental.

Anyone have an issue with Waze in that you speak an address in and it loads the address but then a few seconds later just goes back to the default map screen. works fine with voice instruction on Google Maps

jacknifetoaswan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Mustang GT Premium Performance Pack
Yep, I use the default cable with the Pixel XL but still seems a bit temperamental.

Anyone have an issue with Waze in that you speak an address in and it loads the address but then a few seconds later just goes back to the default map screen. works fine with voice instruction on Google Maps
Waze is kinda flakey with voice commands, which I think is due to the handoff between Google Assistant and Waze. I just input the destination while stopped, typing it into the touchscreen. Google Maps does a really good job of accepting the destination via voice commands, but obviously, you lose the awesome features of Waze.

JR

marks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Waze is kinda flakey with voice commands, which I think is due to the handoff between Google Assistant and Waze. I just input the destination while stopped, typing it into the touchscreen. Google Maps does a really good job of accepting the destination via voice commands, but obviously, you lose the awesome features of Waze.

JR
Yes, exactly the same. Waze works fine when inputting through typing -
speaking, it is hit and miss. Google Maps works fine speaking and typing.

You can open both Waze and Google Maps but only do directions to Google Maps and have Google Maps showing on the screen. That way when there is a speed camera, hazard or whatever - Waze will still cut in and warn you with a voice over.
Sponsored