Sponsored

Sound tube delete and drone

KilluminatiDre

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
So I installed the JLT CAI and did the sound tube delete at the same time and what little drone that I did have with the MBRP race is pretty much non existent .Has anyone else experienced this? I used to get drone at 60 in 6th but now from 60-80 I hardly hear the exhaust, the interior is so quiet now.
Sponsored

Falconetti

cash me outside howbow da
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1, 1994 SVT COBRA
So I installed the JLT CAI and did the sound tube delete at the same time and what little drone that I did have with the MBRP race is pretty much non existent .Has anyone else experienced this? I used to get drone at 60 in 6th but now from 60-80 I hardly hear the exhaust, the interior is so quiet now.
nope, my drone was so bad i wanted to trash the race kit. Headers and no cats fixed it

OP
OP

KilluminatiDre

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
Hmm that's interesting, maybe the frequencies are different since you have a convertible. You have any videos of the race and longtube setup? I have kooks catted longtubes but have not installed them yet.

Threebanger

I am legend.
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bray
Vehicle(s)
2020 Twister Orange GT350
Vehicle Showcase
My '11 was the same way. Had the Maggy comp catback & and a Airaid. Drone was horribad until I did the sound tube delete.

Sponsored

Five0GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT premium
I was considering deleting the soundtube too. Is it much quieter without it?

Wally-Bob

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Wally-Bob
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Prem PP 50AP
I was considering deleting the soundtube too. Is it much quieter without it?
Yes, noticeably more quite with the windows up, windows down - not so much difference. (which leads me to an understanding of the rag top owner's opinion above)

Ramen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium
Left the sound tube in after I installed a Steeda CAI. Sounded bad ass. Once I installed a Borla S-Type catback, the resonance between the two was pretty bad at highway speeds.

Ripped out the sound tube and plugged the holes with the caps that Steeda provided with the CAI. Much better now.

Wally-Bob

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Wally-Bob
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Prem PP 50AP
I also installed the Steeda CAI. I really didn't like the firewall cap supplied in the kit (too flimsy perhaps) and realizing how difficult it was to get to that spot, I knew I only wanted to do it once. I wanted the old style sheet metal plugs like back in the 70's, the ones that don't fall out, the ones you have to pry out... It went in easy, but it's now November so make sure you keep it warm to put it in with ease! (unless of coarse you live in Florida)

I used this one:

http://www.cjponyparts.com/top-center-of-firewall-hole-plug-1969-1970/p/HW148/
hw148.jpg

Sponsored

69mach1-395

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 RR GT/CS
Sorry for the old thread but it seems that the CJPP axle back (which provides a deep mellow tone) I installed and sound tube like to resonate at low rpms. Not sure if I'd call it a drone...
I just disconnected it near the intake tube and plugged that hole for now to see if it helps next time I go for a drive.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Sorry for the old thread but it seems that the CJPP axle back (which provides a deep mellow tone) I installed and sound tube like to resonate at low rpms. Not sure if I'd call it a drone...
I just disconnected it near the intake tube and plugged that hole for now to see if it helps next time I go for a drive.
It does help quite significantly.

2015VAStang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
22 Mach1 HP , 21 f250 , 97 4runner, 22 Streetglide
I have a question, can you just drill a hole in the new CAI box and keep the sound tube. I have watched numerous videos on CAI installs and all I have seen delete the sound tube. Wondering if it adversely affects the new CAI, or most guys just don't like the tube.

69mach1-395

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 RR GT/CS
You would probably need to plumb it creatively and at your risk...

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
Yeah, I found some of the weird sort of harmonics with an aftermarket exhaust + OEM sound tube totally disappeared when I pulled it (and there's no question it looks so much better under the hood - my Mishi intake tube doesn't have the connection so it's nice and _smooth_).
Sponsored