Sponsored

A/C Evaporator Factory Defect

GT 550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black GT MT S550
Does anyone know if the aircon evaporator problem has been fixed for the 2018?
Sponsored

scoggy_doogan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium
I haven't seen any reports of the latest part revision failing, but it's probably too early to make any conclusions. This summer/fall will be the time when/if the newest revision starts failing on the 2017s and anybody who's had theirs replaced.

thumper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang GT PP
i can't find the posting on one of the s550 facebook groups i subscribed to, but someone said the a/c on his 2 week old 2018 failed on him and he originally though it was the compressor, but the dealer later contacted him saying they think it's something wrong with the evap core. i wasn't following up and i don't know what the final outcome was.

Asharus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Angelo
Vehicle(s)
2018 Challenger Scat Pack
i would consider it a miracle if it's resolved for the 2018MY

Stang-15

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
Is the evaporator issue primarily limited to warmer climates? Most of the cars that seem to have problems apear to be from states such as FL, TX, etc. My warranty is about to expire, and I have contemplated buying Ford ESP just out of fear of this happening. However, my local dealership said they haven't replaced any evaporators on 2015+ mustangs. Is there anyone from the Midwest who has had an evap failure?

Sponsored

Zathras

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I don't know if Ford makes this part or if it's contracted out, but holy crap fix it already

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
Is the evaporator issue primarily limited to warmer climates? Most of the cars that seem to have problems apear to be from states such as FL, TX, etc.
It does seem like the majority of failures are in the states where it's hot most of the time and people are running the A/C a lot. My theory is the aluminum cracks (probably at welded areas) due to the constant thermal expansion and contraction going on with use. The more it's used, the more likely it's going to fail.

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
It does seem like the majority of failures are in the states where it's hot most of the time and people are running the A/C a lot. My theory is the aluminum cracks (probably at welded areas) due to the constant thermal expansion and contraction going on with use. The more it's used, the more likely it's going to fail.
Sounds like Ford is off the hook then. Ford didn't MAKE customers live where its hot. ;)

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sounds like Ford is off the hook then. Ford didn't MAKE customers live where its hot. ;)
Doesn't change the fact that Ford can't engineer an A/C evaporator correctly. Hope they don't get into the rocket business. :doh:

Sponsored

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
Doesn't change the fact that Ford can't engineer an A/C evaporator correctly. Hope they don't get into the rocket business. :doh:
Ford doesn't engineer the evaporator, they likely order them to spec. This is either a problem with the vendor or an issue with how they are mounted.

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford doesn't engineer the evaporator, they likely order them to spec. This is either a problem with the vendor or an issue with how they are mounted.
Any decent rocket builder wouldn't specify and buy JUNK parts for their rockets that fail all the time . ;)

GT 550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black GT MT S550
Evaporators for mainstream cars have been built since a/c was available. I'm thinking early 70s. Amazing that they could they mess it up but then Porsche can mess up gearboxes and engines so maybe we're lucky our rockets aren't made by them!

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
Any decent rocket builder wouldn't specify and buy JUNK parts for their rockets that fail all the time . ;)
Considering they now are on their 3rd part number, my guess is there is an issue with how these are mounted and/or vibration issues. Of course, it could still be Ford being cheap. Who knows. As of right now I'm probably looking into an extended warranty.
Sponsored