Sponsored

Burning Oil / Rubber Smell on 87 but not 93?

TheLion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ruby Red 2016 Mustang GT PP 6-MT
Engine is stock. Only mods not related to suspension / handling (done by the previous owner of the car) is a Corsa Sport Cat back exhaust.

Bought it used with only 5,500 miles on it. Currently has 8500 on it. Oil was changed by the dealer it was traded into at 5,500 (OLI said 16% remaining on the factory fill, they forgot to reset it). They used factory 5W-20 MC oil and filter which is still on the car.

Dealer filled it up with 91 when I drove it home. I switched to 87 as its winter and I didn't see the point in using 93 (which is what mostly available here where I live) when I can't use the power.

Noticed a burning rubber / oil smell quite frequently when slowly cruising through the city / stopped at a light. Odor seems to be coming from rear drivers side of the engine compartment.

Recently I switched to a tank of 93 as it's warmed up this week (in low 40's / high 30's), almost through the tank already so I'd imagine it has now re-learned the fuel octane fully at this point and is using 93 maps. I have not smelled it once. Maybe it's a coincidence, maybe not, I'll run a few more tanks of 93 to see, but probing for information to see if anyone else has experienced anything like that on a stock coyote when using 87. Thus far I have found no issues with the engine, it purrs like a lion ;-).

As far as I know it's a stock tune on the PCM now and was not tuned by the previous owner. I have not tuned it. I have never once heard pinging in the 8~10 tanks of 87 I've run through it since then. Managed to do quite a few WOT pulls in 3rd and 4th on 87, smooth as butter and screams like a corsa equipped coyote should.

Same thing with 93 octane. Although tip in is noticeably better on the low end and mid-range, but top end is about the same with 93 vs 87. I have yet to check for a cracked PCV hose or see if the PCV valve housing is out of place / damaged, that is one source others have found to cause oil seepage onto the header.

Can't find a single oil leak around the valve covers or under neath, oil consumption seems relatively normal, maybe about 1/2 or a little less of a quart of MC semi-syn in 3,000 miles of reasonably hard driving, lots of cold starts in 10~20F weather etc. No smoking exhaust (no heavy carbon residue around the exhaust) or any signs of oil mixing with coolant. Dealer couldn't find any leaks either. Dry as a bone. Belts do not squeal nor do they get hot (some suggested might be a dying pulley bearing / ac compressor bearing). So I don't think it's that. This one is a bit baffling, so I'm searching for any and all ideas / possibilities. Also started tracking oil consumption in a spread sheet just to be 100% sure.
Sponsored

OP
OP
TheLion

TheLion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ruby Red 2016 Mustang GT PP 6-MT
Never mind, just smelled it in town on my way home again. Not fuel related so rule that out. Thinking maybe pcv system now.

Anthony 05 GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Mustang GT, 2015 Mustang GT Premium
Check your valve cover gaskets for leaking, you may need to get under the car to see it on the rear of the engine. Supposedly it's quite common.

Kahboom

Kahboom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GTPP, Recaros/2014 Explorer Sport 4X4
Same issue here since I got the car in Nov of 2014 no matter the fuel 87 or 91 No leaks. Most likely pvc related as OP stated.

Last edited:

ManBearPig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT
Every now and then I'll smell what I can only describe as somethin that smells like a mix between a wharehouse full of new tires and burning oil on my 2016 GT. My car has 9k miles, has never been in the rain, and is dry as a bone everywhere. I've been over the entire car with a fine tooth comb trying to find any source of the smell and I haven't been able to find anything. Never thought of pcm, but I do have a passenger side catch can.

Sponsored

Dr. Norts

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Race Red Mustang GT
My fx35 engine bay will smell like this sometimes but only in the winter. Its been like this for the 4+ years I've owned it and cannot for the life of me figure it out so I've just learned to ignore whatever it is. No one on the forums seems to be able to figure it out either since it doesn't seem to be causing anything bad or failures of any kind.

Belts / idlers have all been changed. It's also more noticable when it's wet / snowing out.

When I stop and get out if I smell near the front grill smells like someone did a burnout under my hood lol.

I wonder if even though different vehicles it's caused by the same thing.

tom_sprecher

Living Race Car Free
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP 6MT Race Red
Now that you mention it every now and then I smell what can only be described as a mixture of American greatness and muscle car in my Mustang.
Sponsored

Last edited: