Sponsored

Intercooler for daily driving?

spdracerUT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
Hi folks, I'm finally getting around to install the Ford Procal tune on my car, from what I'm reading here and elsewhere an intercooler is the next biggest upgrade I can make to a factory car. Will it matter for daily driving? The only other modification I have power wise (if you can call it that) is a catback.
Yes, it'll make a difference. Need? No one needs more than 100hp for an everyday car. Want? Definitely.

Here's test data from the Garrett IC:
http://www.motoiq.com/MagazineArtic...ded-Intercooler-for-the-EcoBoost-Mustang.aspx

jtmat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vert turbo!!!!
There’s no legit reason a dealer could deny warranty work for a bigger intercooler unless it's installed incorrectly or you had to make some other mods (like eliminating the shutters on the bigger intercooler, but even that shouldn't hurt anything). Denying warranty work because of an upgraded IC is like denying it due to a catback exhaust.
A dealer less than a mile from my house refused to work on my car because it is "modified" (yes, their exact word). Honestly, I don't think anyone on earth would think my car is modified. Dealer less than 15 min from them worked on the car no issue.

Unfortunately, there is a level of dumb at some dealership service areas... I don't assume anything is outside of stock cannot be connected to some issue.

I'm simply saying is for people to understand their local Ford dealer. Especially if they only have one or two close to them.

No FUD on my end... if I'd talked to my dealers before working on my car, I'd known where to take it beforehand. That is all I'm saying.

OP
OP
Miadhawk

Miadhawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Mustang EcoBoost
A dealer less than a mile from my house refused to work on my car because it is "modified" (yes, their exact word). Honestly, I don't think anyone on earth would think my car is modified. Dealer less than 15 min from them worked on the car no issue.

Unfortunately, there is a level of dumb at some dealership service areas... I don't assume anything is outside of stock cannot be connected to some issue.

I'm simply saying is for people to understand their local Ford dealer. Especially if they only have one or two close to them.

No FUD on my end... if I'd talked to my dealers before working on my car, I'd known where to take it beforehand. That is all I'm saying.

I had to double check with my local Ford dealer back when I got an exhaust, after transferring me to three different people they agreed that a catback was OK in regards to my warranty. Same dealer wanted $250+tax for the Ford ProCal install, local ASE shop did it for $50 :bolt:

JStang15

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 Ecoboost
Suspension wise I intend to do the BMR lockout kit, already have the Ford Racing strut brace and cowl brace installed, then at some point I will revisit lowering (aka how many new potholes in Buffalo).

Intercooler wise, although I'm doubting I'll go through with it, stock location or go big with the grille shutter delete?
Ha I definitely hear you about the potholes here. I plan on getting coilovers very soon and I'm a little worried about how terrible our roads are right now.

As for the intercooler, an upgraded one does make a big difference during the warmer months. I went with the Levels, which is probably a bit overkill for daily driving, but when I saw my charge temps with the stock IC it convinced me to go with a larger front mount instead of a stock location one.

Arno_ecobeast

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Ecoboost
You have a forced induction car. They put an intercooler on there, which using deduction means that without an intercooler it would be very detrimental. So if we say, start deciding what is an acceptable temp for the charged air before it starts pulling timing so hard you do 8sec 0-60 pulls i'm thinking the whole experience is ruined quite a bit just because of a device that can't cool air efficiently enough. Get an intercooler. After i installed mine i took it to the track and after about 8 laps my charge temps where lower than daily driving it with stock cooler lol.
Sponsored