Sponsored

Sirius Alternatives?

carlg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT/CS
I'm looking for an alternative to Sirius Satellite radio.

I have a 2016 with Sync 3 and the latest update.

I want to use Pandora or Amazon music.

The thing I like about Sirius is I get in the car and it is already on. I don't have to take my phone out of my pocket and press the play button.

Is there anything comparable that I can use but can entirely control via sync? I plan to have my phone in my pocket, but I don't want to have to take it out and press play button (OK, I'm lazy).
Sponsored

michail71

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT 401a A10
I just gave Pandora a try through Sync 3. It took a while before it wanted to work. Adding apps to Sync 3 seems to be a somewhat of a finicky process.

Alexa is available too. I have that installed but I haven't tried that with amazon music yet. I'd rather just have Amazon music with Alexa. She did give me a briefing when I asked.

OP
OP
carlg

carlg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT/CS
I just gave Pandora a try through Sync 3. It took a while before it wanted to work. Adding apps to Sync 3 seems to be a somewhat of a finicky process.

Alexa is available too. I have that installed but I haven't tried that with amazon music yet. I'd rather just have Amazon music with Alexa. She did give me a briefing when I asked.

I agree with the adding apps!!

But with your Pandora, you still have to press the play button on your phone, right?

michail71

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT 401a A10
I agree with the adding apps!!

But with your Pandora, you still have to press the play button on your phone, right?
I don't think so. It didn't work for a while, just said buffering. Then I went to the store and tired it again. It started playing right away and the phone never came out of my pocket.

I may have had the app open in the background though.

I'm trying to figure this whole Sync 3 thing out myself and I'm a software engineer, lol. It's not as polished as I thought it would be.

michail71

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT 401a A10
Oh, I never did hit play on my phone. I just launched the app from the app screens on Sync and it started auto playing. I was shocked it did that and I did play a few tracks.

Sponsored

OP
OP
carlg

carlg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT/CS
Oh, I never did hit play on my phone. I just launched the app from the app screens on Sync and it started auto playing. I was shocked it did that and I did play a few tracks.
Wow, that's what I want to do.

Wonder if there's a setting on the phone for this?

michail71

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT 401a A10
I just got frustrated and gave up. I later went to the store and it "just worked" when I tried. Perhaps a few car power cycles or some background data updates need to happen?

I had just installed Pandora today too. I subscribe to Amazon music so I haven't used Pandora in a while. I've never played it through my current phone.

Shane361

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shane
Vehicle(s)
2015 Competition Orange Procharged GT
Vehicle Showcase
I refuse to purchase XM for my Mustang. I'm simply not in it enough being a weekend warrior to justify the cost. I listen to Pandora and love it.

OP
OP
carlg

carlg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT/CS
I refuse to purchase XM for my Mustang. I'm simply not in it enough being a weekend warrior to justify the cost. I listen to Pandora and love it.
I don't want to purchase it because of the commercials.

In my opinion the people talking between songs anymore is commercials.

When I'm on channel 20 and they say: "Check out channel 30," that's a commercial!!!

They are not commercial free!!

Shane361

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shane
Vehicle(s)
2015 Competition Orange Procharged GT
Vehicle Showcase
Pandora is commercial free with the upgraded service....5.00 a month I believe.

Sponsored

michail71

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT 401a A10
I listen to Stern. I'm not sure if they'll survive after he retires.

But the 5 year Sirius travel link services that come with the car are nice. I hope that lasts. But it's nothing that couldn't come from a 4G connection either.

HizliBullet

GT350
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mustang
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350, 17 Edge Sport
Vehicle Showcase
sirius xm has promotions like $5 a month for 6 month deals.. no issues about apps or compatibility issues

15BluStang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pat
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium PP1
sirius xm has promotions like $5 a month for 6 month deals.. no issues about apps or compatibility issues
I have learned if you call and say you do not want to renew, they will give you a deal. I get their one year All Access package for 1/2 price. I like it because it does not require use of my data on the phone and it has sports and talk that is not available on an app.

TorqueMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EcoBoost Premium
Here's my solution:

1. Buy a 16gb USB flash drive.
  2. Put all your digital music on it.
  3. Insert into car's USB port.
  4. Select USB as source.

Music starts playing as soon as I start the car. Gracenotes gives me cover art. The system automatically categorizes music, so if desired I can find music by artist, album or song title. Sometimes I just listen to an entire album on the way to work. 5500+ songs means I could listen for 800 full days or 2 full years non-stop. Bonus: I never hear a song I don't like.

HizliBullet

GT350
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mustang
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350, 17 Edge Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Here's my solution:

1. Buy a 16gb USB flash drive.
  2. Put all your digital music on it.
  3. Insert into car's USB port.
  4. Select USB as source.

Music starts playing as soon as I start the car. Gracenotes gives me cover art. The system automatically categorizes music, so if desired I can find music by artist, album or song title. Sometimes I just listen to an entire album on the way to work. 5500+ songs means I could listen for 800 full days or 2 full years non-stop. Bonus: I never hear a song I don't like.
trust me USB music gets distasteful after a while, doesnt matter how many songs are on there.. with sirius its always unexpected songs without commercials..keeps listeners interested
Sponsored