Some 1/8 fun

66sprint6

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2015 Base GT PP
Used to go every Friday night with my 90 Mustang Coupe but havnt been in years. Took the 2015 GT out last night and had a ton of fun...Im afraid the bug may have bitten. Nothing Earth shattering time wise but I had fun either way.

Base model GT with PP. Only mods are Magnaflow Competition Axleback, 20mm spacers and I replaced the wore out stock rubber with some Continental DWS06's in the stock sizes. Aired the tires down to 25psi, dusted them off with a quick peel rather than doing a burnout and launched very mildly to try and keep wheel spin down. Here are my times along with my notes in order.

Run 1: [email protected] with 2.19 60. Sport Mode, car seemed to die/cut out on shift to 4th at end of track.

Run 2: [email protected] with 2.13 60. Normal Mode, bounced off limiter trying to see if it would trap in 3rd.

Run 3: [email protected] with 2.07 60. Normal Mode, aggressive on the 1-2 shift noticed more wheel spin in 2nd

Run 4: BEST RUN [email protected] with 2.08 60. Sport Mode, shifted 1-2 around 6500rpm, noticed less wheel spin in 2nd.

Run 5-7 were all down hill from there with mistakes and I called it an evening. Was announced as an alternate for the Quick 8 but I was heading out anyways. Buddy of mine said they called for me to step in after I was already gone go figure :headbonk:

Matt
Sponsored

OP
OP

66sprint6

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2015 Base GT PP
Im wanting to toss together a cheap sticky tire setup for the rear, maybe you guys can help. On my HCI, 5 speed, 302 Fox I just tossed some 275 Mickey Thompson drag radials on a 15" rim and went and had some fun. Can I do the same thing, but with a 17" (16 wont fit the rear right?) wheel and tire? At most this will be a bolt-on, tune car that sees mostly 1/8 action on Friday or Tues nights during the season. Always liked drag radials cause I could drive to and from the track (about 60 mile round trip) without issue. Anyways, any guidance would be awesome!

Matt

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
I go ever chance I get. it's always a fun night out. You get to hang out with real car people. Not the usual forum nitwits that regurgitate interweb nonsense. 17s with a set of MT or NT05Rs will increase the fun level times 10. Just be careful. A little wheel hop has been know to snap axles in the manuals. If it starts hoping get out of it fast!

OP
OP

66sprint6

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2015 Base GT PP
I agree, getting off the computer and out to have some real fun is where its at. THEN post the results and let everyone see where your at.

Ive got a deal on a set of 17x10s with some 315 Nitto DRs locally, might jump on them and see how much it helps! Yeah, dont want to snap anything but then again, if I get serious enough about it I might need the excuse to upgrade LOL

Matt

kcc0521

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bo
Vehicle(s)
2015 Black GT PP
I think you will be ok as long as you keep wheel hop to a minimum. Drag radials with a larger sidewall should help.

Sponsored

OP
OP

66sprint6

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2015 Base GT PP
If I could just cut my 60 into the 1.7-1.8 range Ide be happy for now. This car is so much more than a weekend warrior and I enjoy it daily. Slap some rear wheels/tires on, hit the track, have a blast, go home and repeat. It worked for my 90 coupe and Ide like to try it with this car. If I could fit a jack and slicks in the rear and swap at the track I MIGHT try that but Im thinking radials will get me what I want just fine!

Matt

kcc0521

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bo
Vehicle(s)
2015 Black GT PP
The jack and slicks will fit in the back. I have both slicks and 19" drag radials. I have been 1.6 on drag radials and 1.5 on slicks. The slicks are far more consistent and I think they are easier on the drive line because it doesn't wheel hop. It drives much better on the drag radials though. The car sways on the slicks. I would like to try a 17" drag radial like the M&H ones to see if they are the best of both worlds.

LETHAL

From the D but in the NC
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT A10
Vehicle Showcase
Temps and DA?

Congrats man.. but pisses me off. Lund tune, Corsa exhaust and Steeda intake and best Ive ran was a 8.6 @ 88,xx. THAT WAS WITH JUST THE STEEDA BOX in Feb. I hope to hell in some good air I can pull what it should. My modded runs have been in nasty heat and high DA with similar 60's to you. I am on 20x9-20x1o.5 wheels so maybe that's hurting a lil too?

OP
OP

66sprint6

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2015 Base GT PP
Temps were in the lower 80s to upper 70s as the night cooled down and I believe my buddy who was out there with me said 2800 DA.

Wheel spin on the 1-2 shift can be brutal I noticed. It could make or break a run even one with a decent 60ft. I ran my best time of the night short shifting 1-2 at 6500 rpm and speed shifting rather than power shifting.

Matt

Volstang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Did you run at the new track in Crossville? I've been wanting to go out there and run. Either going there or back to Knoxville Dragway soon. BMR cradle lockout kit will do wonders for your wheel hop and is money well spent! Hope to see you in Crossville. Very nice times!

Sponsored
OP
OP

66sprint6

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2015 Base GT PP
Hey Volstang, I usually run at Music City Raceway (Union Hill) in Goodlettsville Tn. Its the closest track to me. Ive got some friends who run at I40 dragway I believe tho! The BMR cradle kit and springs are in my future for sure!!!

Im going again tomorrow more than likely. Only change will be that I sold my Magnaflow Axleback and will be mufflerless LOL. I put some exhaust hangers to hold the midpipe up until I can get some mufflers in to complete the setup. Wont make any difference at the track but Im hoping a little more seat time will. Would love to see how far I can push this thing as it sits before adding more mods.

Matt

OP
OP

66sprint6

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2015 Base GT PP
Cruddy night. The DA was much better and temps were a shade lower and I was cutting better 60's but would roll out smooth and as soon as I had the clutch out and power down it would wheel hop. Every danged time lol. I had one good launch on the 2nd run, smooth, no hop and the car shut down power as if I was on the limiter in 1st but I was nowhere near it. I shifted, it picked up, did it again and then went?!?!?! Never did it again but I was confused. Anyways, but the end of the night I learned to launch, hop, pedal, hammer and was only able to knock down an 8.55@87 as my best. I started smelling clutch after the first couple runs and by the 4th run or so I called it a night. If I had the cash Ide toss some BMR springs and cradle lock in along with some drag radials a friend of mine has and go back for redemption but its looking like I might have to go with the radials and stock suspension for now. By the time I get the BMR stuff the tracks will be shut down.

Matt

kcc0521

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bo
Vehicle(s)
2015 Black GT PP
Cruddy night. The DA was much better and temps were a shade lower and I was cutting better 60's but would roll out smooth and as soon as I had the clutch out and power down it would wheel hop. Every danged time lol. I had one good launch on the 2nd run, smooth, no hop and the car shut down power as if I was on the limiter in 1st but I was nowhere near it. I shifted, it picked up, did it again and then went?!?!?! Never did it again but I was confused. Anyways, but the end of the night I learned to launch, hop, pedal, hammer and was only able to knock down an 8.55@87 as my best. I started smelling clutch after the first couple runs and by the 4th run or so I called it a night. If I had the cash Ide toss some BMR springs and cradle lock in along with some drag radials a friend of mine has and go back for redemption but its looking like I might have to go with the radials and stock suspension for now. By the time I get the BMR stuff the tracks will be shut down.

Matt

Sounds like you were having issues with clutch protection through torque management. If your car is stock that is normal if it senses clutch slip. If it is tuned you should not have this problem.

OP
OP

66sprint6

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2015 Base GT PP
Is it having issues with me slipping it to try to launch or is the clutch giving me fits? Should I worry bout the clutch or just keep goin at it? The car is pretty much stock and will eventually be a bolt on/tune car...surely the stock clutch will handle it?
Matt

OP
OP

66sprint6

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2015 Base GT PP
Weelllllp...looks like the drag radials my buddy has to try out are NT555R's so im not really very optimistic about doin much better BUT if I can cut my 60's down even just a little bit then maybe I can some decent progress.

Matt
Sponsored