Lost traction on the highway

F0J

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
François
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Don't get me wrong, I bought the Mustang vs. other similarly priced sports cars precisely because it was the only one that scared me.

On the first day of ownership, I unexpectedly wiggled the rear end accelerating out of a yield. I gave it too much pedal because I was used to driving a turbo lag special 2003 VW 1.8T. Maybe it was too early to start driving without the nannies :) That feeling, that I had to keep my wits even at legal speeds, is why I bought the car.
Sponsored

OP
OP

michail71

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT 401a A10
I couldn't find where you might have mentioned your specific engineering discipline, but whatever it might be I think spending some time thinking about "friction circle" concepts might help. Friction ellipse may be more accurate technically, but the basic idea is that the vector sum of lateral and longitudinal accelerations cannot exceed some certain value (one or both ends of the car will lose grip and start to slide outward instead, maybe violently so).

Norm
Oh, that was another lifetime ago and it was Biomedical Engineering. I just know enough now to know I don't know anything. But I follow what you are saying.

After college got into software after working on mathematical modeling.