Lost traction on the highway

OP
OP

michail71

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT 401a A10
I've wondered about how the A10s (and A6s to a lesser extent) handle situations like this, especially in the wet and with drivers who aren't ready for all of the power to hit.
I think this could become more common as the A10 really puts some quick power down to the wheels. I don't think I'd have done that with a manual.
Sponsored

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
Never chop the throttle when the back is sliding, as it only transfers weight to the front of the car and makes it worse (this is what happens in most of the cars and coffee incidents...). Do countersteer, but just reduce throttle, not lift entirely. Keeping on the power keeps the weight on the back.

Definitely do some autocross and HPDE. It's the best way to learn the car and improve your skills. I just got back from autocross today, actually. :p
Lots of autox practice can really help your chances with those sketchy moments on the road. HPDE can offer good instruction, but the risks are higher (buying track insurance may be a good idea). Doing both compliments each other. Autox gives you plenty of emergency car control moments, and HPDEs are usually better for personal instruction.

As for what parts may help... Traction is like 90% tire. Wheel hop is good feedback that you're spinning a tire. It won't wheel hop if its gripping the road in the first place.

There are some parts which guys will recommend and probably won't hurt, but if you don't have good tires or its extra slick on the road, I wouldn't worry about throwing parts at the car.

OP
OP

michail71

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT 401a A10
The tires are the OEM Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric All-Season 265/35R20 99W XL with 2800 miles.

I've actually been impressed with them in dry conditions so far.

Jimmy G

Hangin' about, waitin'..
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Bullitt
Is it possible that the ESP or traction control kicked in as you lost it and that was the wheel hop feeling you experienced? I gather you weren't in Track mode where they're both disabled.

SteveW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
OP, I wouldn't second guess yourself too much on how you recovered from the oversteer because you caught it with no further drama. I think the key is realizing how it started and staying ahead of the car the next time. Sounds like it kicked down a few gears and applied way more power than the available traction. So, next time just avoid the downshifts.

What's happening in those C&C crashes are those yahoos are doing a massive burnout into like 3rd gear so, the tires and wheels are spinning at around 70 mph while the car is going maybe 30. Two 60lb wheels spinning freely at 70 mph are one helluva yo-yo and are going to keep going the direction they started off in no matter what the front of the car does. Add in an uneven surface and blamo, wrecked car and possibly injured bystanders.

My $.02 anyway.

Sponsored

OP
OP

michail71

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT 401a A10
Is it possible that the ESP or traction control kicked in as you lost it and that was the wheel hop feeling you experienced? I gather you weren't in Track mode where they're both disabled.
No, definitely not in track mode. Traction control was on.

I was actually taking it easy at the time. Running in normal mode, driving under the speed limit. I had a car come up behind me, then tried to pass but then just hung out in my blind spot. I became a bit annoyed after a while as I like to keep an "out" so I just tried to pull ahead quickly as I was going under the speed limit. I don't even think I past 4K on the RPMs.

The back end kicked out to the right, far enough to be in the next lane, much like the cars in that video.

The rain was rather fresh so there may have been a good oil mix on the road at the time.

OP
OP

michail71

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT 401a A10
OP, I wouldn't second guess yourself too much on how you recovered from the oversteer because you caught it with no further drama. I think the key is realizing how it started and staying ahead of the car the next time. Sounds like it kicked down a few gears and applied way more power than the available traction. So, next time just avoid the downshifts.

What's happening in those C&C crashes are those yahoos are doing a massive burnout into like 3rd gear so, the tires and wheels are spinning at around 70 mph while the car is going maybe 30. Two 60lb wheels spinning freely at 70 mph are one helluva yo-yo and are going to keep going the direction they started off in no matter what the front of the car does. Add in an uneven surface and blamo, wrecked car and possibly injured bystanders.

My $.02 anyway.
Yeah, I have quite a bit of respect for wet roads. I was nearly killed in 1988 when I hydroplaned in the rain while driving a 1979 mustang (horrible car, lol) and went drivers side into a semi coming the other way. I only survived because an ambulance crew was behind me at the time and we were less than 1 mile from a hospital.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Oh wow, that was tough to watch. Many of those started off exactly the same way with the back end kicking out to the right. Except most of them veered back hard to the left.
That's what happens when the driver is good enough to "catch" the spin in the first direction but not smart enough to realize that the car is nicely set up for when it "catches" - which it is just about to do - to snap-spin the other way. If you're not ready for this second one to happen, you probably won't catch it.

From inside the car . . . fast-forward to about 1:00, the first minute is there mostly to show conditions. The first twitch is at 1:06, and there's a little one the other way barely a second later.

[ame]

Autocrossing would be your friend, better still if you get to run a couple of events in the rain.

FWIW, Ford's choices in A/S tires for Mustangs haven't been very good for the last couple of generations. The OE tires on my '08 were truly scary in 35 mph wet curves at least as far up as 4th gear (with barely 2/3 as much power as you guys have).

Norm

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
I figured this would be a good place to post and get some feedback.
In the wet, or when otherwise driving close to the limits of tire grip, make your control inputs as "smooth" as possible. "Smooth" here does not have to mean "slow", just "not suddenly/abruptly". Among other things, wet mode takes a lot of the abruptness out of throttle input, trying to do the smoothness thing for you.

Glad to hear nothing bad actually resulted, though I can see where either you or the driver you were trying to get cleared out of your blind spot could have been in for a change of shorts :lol:

Norm

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT

In the wet, or when otherwise driving close to the limits of tire grip, make your control inputs as "smooth" as possible. "Smooth" here does not have to mean "slow", just "not suddenly/abruptly". Among other things, wet mode takes a lot of the abruptness out of throttle input, trying to do the smoothness thing for you.

Glad to hear nothing bad actually resulted, though I can see where either you or the driver you were trying to get cleared out of your blind spot could have been in for a change of shorts :lol:

Norm
I still believe a lot of these Cars and Coffee mishaps happen because of #1 inexperience in that situation and #2 turning all the nannies off thinking you aren't #1.

Sponsored

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Inexperience certainly includes lack of awareness of the snap-spin the other way. Not learning from the first time or two that it happens (whether to you or to others, in real life or on video) is stupidity.

I really don't want to get into a discussion of nannies - mainly because when I was as inexperienced of a driver as it gets, they weren't available. Somehow, most of us learned how to drive within both skill and tire grip limits.

Norm

OP
OP

michail71

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT 401a A10

Norm
My shorts stayed clean. :)

When I was a teenager I worked on a large farm with private wide open dirt roads. I used to do some stunts with my truck out there. I'd practice throwing my back end out to change directions and go into controlled spins. I don't think I would do that anymore, especially with this car. But I was fascinated by the physics of it.

I think it gave me a good feel for driving dynamics although that was a very long time ago. Perhaps it helped me react in this situation?

OP
OP

michail71

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT 401a A10
That's what happens when the driver is good enough to "catch" the spin in the first direction but not smart enough to realize that the car is nicely set up for when it "catches" - which it is just about to do - to snap-spin the other way. If you're not ready for this second one to happen, you probably won't catch it.

From inside the car . . . fast-forward to about 1:00, the first minute is there mostly to show conditions. The first twitch is at 1:06, and there's a little one the other way barely a second later.

Norm
That's what I experienced. Although I twitched out a bit further.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
That's what I experienced. Although I twitched out a bit further.
Guess that's the difference between incrementally crowding closer to the limits of grip over a number of laps on the track and sort of expecting it, and being surprised that your maneuver and everything that went with it was that close to the limits on the street.

Glad you're OK with no urgent need for either a laundromat or a body shop.

Norm

OP
OP

michail71

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT 401a A10
Guess that's the difference between incrementally crowding closer to the limits of grip over a number of laps on the track and sort of expecting it, and being surprised that your maneuver and everything that went with it was that close to the limits on the street.

Glad you're OK with no urgent need for either a laundromat or a body shop.

Norm
Thanks, I definitely want to get some advanced training.

This combo of engine and transmission is still rather new. As cautious of a driver as I am I wonder how many people will get into serious trouble?

I could see someone gunning to 6K, then panic counter steering the wrong way and jamming the brakes.

The car puts power down really fast even in normal mode. Which I haven't typically seen in an automatic.
Sponsored