Sponsored

Lost traction on the highway

michail71

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT 401a A10
This was a learning experience tonight but I was driving rather cautiously in the rain tonight on the highway. I was doing about 55-60 in a 65 zone. I needed to get past a car that kept hanging out in my blind spot so I gave the car some gas. The next thing I know the back end kicked way out to the right in what felt like some extreme wheel hop.

I got control really quick but am curious about what happened.

I figured this would be a good place to post and get some feedback.
Sponsored

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
400 horsepower so you need to have some discipline with the go pedal. In low grip situations (wet or cornering), the car can break traction at higher speeds if you give it the full monty. Some roads are slicker than others too.

What tires are you running and how old are they?

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
If stock tires, the 2018s with the 20" wheel package get the craptastic Pzero Nero A/S. That tire is pretty bad in the rain. My car gave me a scare not long after owning it, similar to what you're describing, on the same tires. The car demands respect.

SteveW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
Also, the A10 may have dropped a few gears when you gassed it, which would be great in the dry but I could see how that would be hard to handle in the wet.

Would there be a way to make these 18 A10s hold a higher gear when it's wet out?

moffetts

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black Whippled 2015 GT PP
I've wondered about how the A10s (and A6s to a lesser extent) handle situations like this, especially in the wet and with drivers who aren't ready for all of the power to hit.

Sponsored

69mach1-395

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 RR GT/CS
How about wet mode?

OP
OP

michail71

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT 401a A10
400 horsepower so you need to have some discipline with the go pedal. In low grip situations (wet or cornering), the car can break traction at higher speeds if you give it the full monty. Some roads are slicker than others too.

What tires are you running and how old are they?
They are the factory goodyear 20". They have been surprisingly good so far.

When these are done I wanted to go to Michelin PSS.

OP
OP

michail71

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT 401a A10
Also, the A10 may have dropped a few gears when you gassed it, which would be great in the dry but I could see how that would be hard to handle in the wet.

Would there be a way to make these 18 A10s hold a higher gear when it's wet out?
Yes, it did drop a couple gears. I think the wet mode would solve for that but it's a bit of a pain to get to. I've used it for my son who is learning to drive.

OP
OP

michail71

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT 401a A10
Aside from some more respect for the power and better wet tires is there anything else that could help? Such as bracing for wheel hop?

I was driving cautiously too at the time in Normal + D mode. Most of the traffic was flying by me in the wet conditions. The throttle just caught me by surprise.

This makes me want to take some HPDE training.

SteveW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
Aside from some more respect for the power and better wet tires is there anything else that could help? Such as bracing for wheel hop?

I was driving cautiously too at the time in Normal + D mode. Most of the traffic was flying by me in the wet conditions. The throttle just caught me by surprise.

This makes me want to take some HPDE training.
The last thing you said is best, otherwise known as "driver-mod". Go find some autocross events and track days. Much fun and good learning experiences ☺

Sponsored
OP
OP

michail71

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT 401a A10
Out of curiosity what is the best way to handle the situation?

When the back end swung out I dropped the throttle and turned into the slide. Once I felt traction I straightened the wheel I gave it some light throttle and all was ok.

By the time it was over I had made a 1/4 to 1/2 lane change. It was well under 2 seconds.

My RPM range when the back end went was probably around 3500-4000K. I've been driving a hell of a long time but I've never experienced that except from a complete standstill.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Out of curiosity what is the best way to handle the situation?

When the back end swung out I dropped the throttle and turned into the slide. Once I felt traction I straightened the wheel I gave it some light throttle and all was ok.

By the time it was over I had made a 1/4 to 1/2 lane change. It was well under 2 seconds.

My RPM range when the back end went was probably around 3500-4000K. I've been driving a hell of a long time but I've never experienced that except from a complete standstill.
Never chop the throttle when the back is sliding, as it only transfers weight to the front of the car and makes it worse (this is what happens in most of the cars and coffee incidents...). Do countersteer, but just reduce throttle, not lift entirely. Keeping on the power keeps the weight on the back.

Definitely do some autocross and HPDE. It's the best way to learn the car and improve your skills. I just got back from autocross today, actually. :p

OP
OP

michail71

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT 401a A10
I was contemplating that but in the moment it's tough. I knew enough not to brake at least. Although it is why I got back on the throttle after the countersteer.

What is a car and coffee incident?

Intersting stuff!

OP
OP

michail71

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT 401a A10
Oh wow, that was tough to watch. Many of those started off exactly the same way with the back end kicking out to the right. Except most of them veered back hard to the left.

I somehow pulled the front end of my car back in alignment with the rear. Being an A10 may have helped as perhaps many hit the clutch or brake in that situation?
Sponsored