Sponsored

Steeda Q750 on the road course

turbofiveoh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Has anybody ever run one of driven one of these Q750s on the road course? I haven't been able to find any lap times to put into perspective how the Q750 would compare against something like a GT350, 1LE, GT3, etc.

Thanks.
Sponsored

tj@steeda

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Timothy
Vehicle(s)
2019 Steeda Mustang - White Carbon Edition
Vehicle Showcase
Patrick Doyle & a couple others have used it on the road course - is there something I can help answer? I can put you in contact with our performance team to see what they have on file.

TJ

tj@steeda

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Timothy
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Patrick Doyle Michael Nealey hello. I have a 2015 Q750 that I track regularly at local tracks. Most sessions I run are 20 minutes and I have had no heat soak or overheating issues. I drive my car extremely hard. Solidly engineered car! Feel free to PM me if you have any further questions. I'd be glad to help!
From Patrick on Facebook.

OP
OP
turbofiveoh

turbofiveoh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
[MENTION=7748]tj@steeda[/MENTION] Thanks for the information. I don't have any specific questions about the modifications to the Q750 as the Steeda media/marketing folks have done a terrific job covering all of the details that differentiate the Q750 from a standard GT PP. My question, as it relates to the Q750, is specifically targeted at obtaining real world performance data when compared to other sports/performance cars.
For example, a 997.1 GT3 on DOT R comps with a "good" driver can be expected to run in the 2:22 - 2:25 range at Sebring. What is the expectation one should have of the Q750 with a similar driver and tires? Has Steeda done any side by side track testing to show how the Q750 performs against a stock GT PP, or a GT350, etc.?

Mods: If this thread belongs elsewhere please move it to the appropriate section.

tj@steeda

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Timothy
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Turbo,

This is a hard question to answer - in short, yes but the results from our first testing period several years ago is not consistent with what we are running now - we have more parts in the portfolio, etc.

I would go with a Porsche as a baseline comparison because that was the car we were chasing at Sebring.

We are currently building a new Q750 & it should be ready in a couple of weeks.

I’m confident, that this new Q750 we are building will lay down some impressive numbers - I am happy to take your contact info & when they go out on the track, they can provide some details & feedback for you.

Best Regards,

TJ

Sponsored

OP
OP
turbofiveoh

turbofiveoh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Turbo,

This is a hard question to answer - in short, yes but the results from our first testing period several years ago is not consistent with what we are running now - we have more parts in the portfolio, etc.

I would go with a Porsche as a baseline comparison because that was the car we were chasing at Sebring.

We are currently building a new Q750 & it should be ready in a couple of weeks.

I’m confident, that this new Q750 we are building will lay down some impressive numbers - I am happy to take your contact info & when they go out on the track, they can provide some details & feedback for you.

Best Regards,

TJ
Please update this thread with any performance details from your testing, I'm on here frequently enough.

What were the lap times you were turning at Sebring in the car when you were chasing the Porsche?

Plimmer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Having done plenty track days with Porsche GT3’s and with Mr Patrick Doyle himself, I would say that a Q750 will eat up a 997.1 GT3 both being on similar tires. And the Mustang will probably be cheaper to maintain.

Now if we are talking 991.2 GT3 RS’s.........I don’t know what the heck can beat those....lol

OP
OP
turbofiveoh

turbofiveoh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Having done plenty track days with Porsche GT3’s and with Mr Patrick Doyle himself, I would say that a Q750 will eat up a 997.1 GT3 both being on similar tires. And the Mustang will probably be cheaper to maintain.
Good feedback, thanks for sharing. The mustang is unquestionably less expensive to maintain. Sounds like Q750 is a solid performer. It would be nice to have some steeda published lap times but direct experience is always helpful.

Now if we are talking 991.2 GT3 RS’s.........I don’t know what the heck can beat those....lol
What can beat a 991.2 GT3RS? ...A 991.2 GT2RS! :D

OP
OP
turbofiveoh

turbofiveoh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
So I was doing some reading on this subforum and found a thread in which many folks felt that the Whipple was a poor choice for a road course car due to the low rpm power delivery, additional weight on the front, and the cooling system's inability to keep up with the increased demand.
How has Steeda overcome these observed issues with the Q750? I did not see any kind of cooling upgrades (aside from adding intercooler fans) to the Q750 and there were no weight modifications to return the car to the original weight balance.

Plimmer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
What can beat a 991.2 GT3RS? ...A 991.2 GT2RS! :D
Lol.....yup I would love to own a GT2. Another track rocket ship is the McLaren. They are all really fast. I track a Mustang at COTA, and I find any of the later model Porsche’s with PDK are really fast, they can put down their power so well coming out of corners, while I have to wait

As it relates to the Q750 on track, I can’t talk to that, but I can give you my own experience with my car that is a twin turbo and gets tracked in the 90 deg Texas heat. You will need to decide how much you want to compromise in your goal of the ultimate road course machine. You should aim for 11” rims up front so you can get a 305 or bigger in there, then I found a splitter up front will help. Those 2 can help a lot with the extra weight under the hood.

Then for cooling I have a larger radiator, a huge air to air oil cooler, GT4 style hood vents and other minor things to keep engine temps reasonable. Then I also have a diff cooler to keep that under control.

Bottom line is not many cars roll of the dealer lot ready for a weekend of hard core track action, they all need a few upgrades to address issues.

Sponsored

TexasQ750

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Patrick
Vehicle(s)
2015 Steeda Q750 Mustang
[MENTION=29417]turbofiveoh[/MENTION] Patrick here. I have a 2015 Q750 and love it! I cannot speak of lap times at Sebring as I live in the Texas hill country, but can tell you that my Q is a solid weekend track car for the street. Reading this thread I'd like to clarify a few things about the Q and it's setup. First off, it is NOT set up perfectly for a road course ONLY track car. It is an amazing blend of street driveability and track performance with a warranty. If you are looking for a road course car then there may be better choices for you out there, but NONE for the money of a Q750.
As for the whipple on the track? Wow, well I have yet to have an overheating issue in the car. I have tracked her at COTA and H2R so far and had a blast. COTA was the grand prix circuit setup with TNiA and I did this with Mr. Plimmer here. It was my first track time with this car and it took me a few sessions to learn her manners. Not once did she overheat, and the whipple sure came in handy down the back stretch, hitting 150-155mph routinely. It is a little tricky finding the perfect combination of torque out of the corner with the whipple as wheel spin would occur if too aggressive, and I run Nitto NT05's. But once you realize that this car doesn't need to driven on the rev limiter on every corner the grip is amazing and the balance is spot on. Mr. Plimmer has one of the best track/street S550 builds I have ever seen and although his lap times were quicker, I felt the Q750 did a really good job of hanging with him. COTA is a high speed circuit and will test the limits of any cars cooling and braking abilities. My only gripe would be the brakes. And this is being picky. Although it comes with the 6 piston Brembo's from Ford, it needs a little more brake on the really fast road courses like COTA. H2R on the other hand is a 1.8 mile short, twisty, and bumpy local track. Here the Q did amazing as well. Again, no issues with cooling or brakes. (One of my track days there my buddy with a 2016 Z06 vette joined me. Well, he made it 3 laps in every session before his $100k vette overheated and he had to hit the pits to cool down). I only used 2nd and 3rd gears on this course and got to see just how stable and predictable the Steeda G-track suspension truly is. One session I was behind a brand new, paper plated Porsche GT3 and we had a really good time at it. He had a slight advantage in cornering grip that I feel was due to my extra 800# but I would make that up and then some on the short straights with coyote/whipple power. I posted the video on the Steeda fb page and you might be able to watch it there. It will give you a sense of the handling characteristics of the Q, and clearly answer your question of how one performs against a GT3, because that guy was driving the wheels off it. There was also a 1LE there that day and several GT350's. None I asked were cutting the lap times I was, and the owner of the 1LE came up to me to ask what mods I had because the Q750 was the first S550 that he couldn't keep up with on this track. He had plenty of sticker mods too. LOL Also please feel free to look me up on fb or messenger under Patrick Doyle, and I can share it with you there as well. I hope this helps you understand a little more about the Q750, and will add 1 last thing here. I have had mustangs my entire life and built some B.A. ones in my day. But none ever had the driveability, civility, and performance that this Q750 has. Mine makes 710rwhp on 93 octane and the Steeda/whipple tune yet will knock down 20mpg on the highway with the AC on in this Texas heat. Just doesn't get much better than that man!

Last edited:

Plimmer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Well said [MENTION=27627]TexasQ750[/MENTION], and agree with you, your car is a great all rounder that can hold its own on a road course. The entrance fee for cars that might be faster is usually north of $150k

OP
OP
turbofiveoh

turbofiveoh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
[MENTION=27627]TexasQ750[/MENTION] thanks for taking the time to stop in and share so much detail about your Q750. Sounds like the Q750 is a solid all-around performer. As Plimmer suggested, the current generation Porsche GT cars are hard to beat so it's quite an accomplishment that Steeda is able to create a Mustang that can stay close to a new GT3.
Based on your experience and review it would be hard to go wrong with a Q750.
Thanks, again, for your detailed and candid review of the Q750.
Sponsored