BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Lots of mod talk for a new guy.

Tires, and experience. That's 100% all I'd do.

Mods get tricky, I'm currently un-Fing my recent round of mods. Steeda rear sway just got removed in favor of the stocker as I had uncontrollable lift off oversteer both at autocross (mainly) and it made the rear twitchy on track.

Now I'm chasing a "thump thump thump" when weight transfers from front to rear coming to a stop as the spring goes from compression to static.

If it doesn't go away with the revision C springs arriving thursday, I'm going to jump spring MFGs.
Yeah, the rev A fronts you have are too short.

[MENTION=19599]Bluemustang[/MENTION] regarding bars...
Sponsored

CTH621

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
Mustang 2015 GT, 2022 Shelby GT500
Let's hope man, it's infuriating having this noise after the full refresh I did in the early spring.
I'm assuming you have the 1.2 inch drop sp083 handling springs? Did you have the thumping sound since the day you installed it? What's causing the thump? Spring too short and moving around the struts?

I'm thinking of also getting the latest revision of sp083 springs and worried that the free height of the coil spring is too short for the gt350 front struts that I have. Because I know at full droop, the gt350 front struts are longer than the standard nonPP and PP struts..

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
I'm assuming you have the 1.2 inch drop sp083 handling springs? Did you have the thumping sound since the day you installed it? What's causing the thump? Spring too short and moving around the struts?

I'm thinking of also getting the latest revision of sp083 springs and worried that the free height of the coil spring is too short for the gt350 front struts that I have. Because I know at full droop, the gt350 front struts are longer than the standard nonPP and PP struts..
The original version of the SP083 fronts (SP084A) have too short of a free height. The Rev C is the one you want, or possibly the new Magneride handling springs for your GT350 struts, being the same rate spring. Talk to Kelly [MENTION=9985]BMR Tech[/MENTION]. I guarantee you will not be disappointed in the SP083 though. It's a great setup.

Recent review of the 83s with the Ford Performance Track dampers (same valving as your GT350 ones)
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?t=105570

Competition Orange

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Just put them on, noise appears to be still there...

Last ditch effort will be to disconnect front swaybar. If it's still there I'm assuming it's a Koni issue? Maybe installation? Can anyone provide the parts list and order of the front Koni? I did Koni, plastic washer, bump stop, dust boot, spring seat/bearing, mount, locking washer, nut.

Sponsored

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Just put them on, noise appears to be still there...

Last ditch effort will be to disconnect front swaybar. If it's still there I'm assuming it's a Koni issue? Maybe installation? Can anyone provide the parts list and order of the front Koni? I did Koni, plastic washer, bump stop, dust boot, spring seat/bearing, mount, locking washer, nut.
Hmmm...yeah most likely bar links. That or something inside the strut(s). Do you have camber plates? Could be the bearing.

Competition Orange

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
I was on the fence about parting to stock and getting a GT350. Decision made, I'm in the middle of going back to stock. FS posts to come.

Last edited:

BoostedMike177

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
black ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
I believe the EB would make a great STU car. Right now I'm running in DS, I have only ran it at a local events but next year I would like to go to a few pro solos. With the tuneabuilty of the EcoBoost and s550 chassis I would think it would be competitive. That is just opinion though, not proven. After my warranty is out and I get a back up DD I want to build it up to STU.

Grintch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
Ground control and KW are good, as are the Steeda. More expensive than those, but truly excellent are the Ridetech, JRi and Cortex. If you want to keep yours, get some different springs and raise it. I'd recommend 250-275 lb/in front and 950-1000 lb/in rear (so 4.5 front and 17.5 rear in kg/mm). Set the front height at least an inch up from where you are, and the back another 0.25-0.4 inches up from that. It'll be a better street car and autocross car.
Remember the spring rates are WAY different if the rear is a coilover setup rather than a sperate sping and shock. Of course, the coil over rear is not really ST legal for the Mustang. I suspect the BC units are coilover, at which point you also have to worry about if they strethened the shock mount to deal with the full suspension loads.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Remember the spring rates are WAY different if the rear is a coilover setup rather than a sperate sping and shock. Of course, the coil over rear is not really ST legal for the Mustang. I suspect the BC units are coilover, at which point you also have to worry about if they strethened the shock mount to deal with the full suspension loads.
Yep agreed. The motion ratio is totally different. I also really, really don't like loading the body in that area with all the suspension load. Even the reinforced versions don't seem to split the load out enough.

Sponsored

Grintch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
Not sure this was ever answered, but no intercooler upgrade in STx. I run my EBPP in STP (19x10, RE71Rs, Cobb tune, Strano RSB). The IC is the next thing I'd like to change but mainly for track days. If I upgrade the IC I'll just run CAM-C.

I've been hesitant to make suspension changes since our cars are such nice drivers that I don't want to ruin the street behavior. I have owned three other STx category autocross cars and most became miserable with a good autocross setup. Especially with on the Birmingham interstates. I have been very happy with the stock setup with good results relative to our areas top drivers so the motivation for Konis or coilovers is low.

Oh...and I'd stay out of STU. A friend has one of the better STU cars in the Southeast (350z). It's the best autocross car I've driven and I can't really see going there with a Mustang when STP and CAM-C exist. The AWD cars are still there but STU is also home for very quick C5 Vettes as well as the Z cars.

Right no intercooler in ST, that bumps you to SP.

Note STP allows you to run up to a 315 tire, rear coilovers, and any final drive ratio.

Remember, if it doesn't say you can, you can't is the modern rule for pretty much all racing. Definitely all SCCA classes.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Against C5 Corvettes, STis and 350Z's ? I highly doubt it.
Yeah STU isn't a wise choice. Anyone with a well-prepared Evo or STi will kill pretty much anything else in class.

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah STU isn't a wise choice. Anyone with a well-prepared Evo or STi will kill pretty much anything else in class.
Ya the OP said he doesn’t have an local AWD competition, and nobody else running CAM, so no big deal. The STis are wicked tho.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Ya the OP said he doesn’t have an local AWD competition, and nobody else running CAM, so no big deal. The STis are wicked tho.
Locally, the fastest ones are Evo 9s. Physics benders, I tell ya.
Sponsored