Sponsored

The Big Fat Track Car Cooling Thread

Trakhor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP
This is the first I am hearing of this issue, I use the fill and drain plugs converted to -6AN fittings, I do not believe the MT82 being in gear or neutral would have any effect on the fluid running out the drain plug location.

On the GT350 trans with the mechanical pump built in that could be an issue depending on how the mechanical pump is driven, if it is driven off the output shaft it would need to be in gear to move fluid, input shaft and it would be moving fluid if the engine is running.

Dave
Thanks, I read it either on a social media post or another forum. I don't recall at the moment. I thought it seemed bogus as you would also have to have the trans in neutral to service it and that seems odd to me for something so "run of the mill"
Sponsored

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
Left is oil temp after a 15 min session with the Mishi cooler. It never went higher than 260 throughout the 90+ degree day, but frankly I expected it to keep the temps down more considering it's smack in the airflow behind the grill. Perhaps this is "good" though?

Middle is the MT82 transmission temp taken from the drain plug. Either this Glowshift gauge is terribly inaccurate (I've been told they tend to be), the sender is also picking up exhaust heat, or my MT82's fluid is getting so hot I'm maxing out the gauge!

Right is differential but it's not connected to the sender yet so ignore that. I did get the differential overtemp warning a few times yesterday at Road Atlanta. I really need a differential cooler. I was only making it 2/3 of a session before the warning. It was 90* out and I was being pretty aggressive to try and push some limits.
35294943_10102395106005567_6558810485746040832_o.jpg

tom_sprecher

Living Race Car Free
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP 6MT Race Red
Middle is the MT82 transmission temp taken from the drain plug. Either this Glowshift gauge is terribly inaccurate (I've been told they tend to be), the sender is also picking up exhaust heat, or my MT82's fluid is getting so hot I'm maxing out the gauge!

Or it is not getting a signal from the sensor like the diff gauge isn't.

Is this from JZilla yesterday?

Trakhor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP
Sweet nice to see someone else plumbing this into the n gauge. I went the route of getting the e motion harness and zietronix sensor.

Sponsored

Plimmer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
[MENTION=16954]LX1[/MENTION], thanks for the info, I'm also using nGauge for oil temp with Mishimoto adaptor.

How did you install the temp sensor in your transmission? Can't see what adaptor you used, maybe into drain plug?

Trakhor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP
For Those with an Ngauge that want to use the analog inputs.
LX1 were you able to re-label the user input to Trans via the nGauge or did you have to have external software to do that?

[MENTION=16954]LX1[/MENTION], thanks for the info, I'm also using nGauge for oil temp with Mishimoto adaptor.

How did you install the temp sensor in your transmission? Can't see what adaptor you used, maybe into drain plug?
I know you didn't ask me, but I can tell you what I have (will try to get pics tonight) I bought a banjo bolt to -8AN fitting. I ended up getting the banjo and the bolt from 2 places. I bought a -8AN to 3/8 NPT adapter.

For now the sender goes in the adapter, adapter goes on the banjo bolt and the banjo bolt goes in the drain plug of the trans. Eventually I'll put a T fitting on the banjo and the sensor will attach to the side of the T and the straight through leg will feed a pump/cooler setup.

Trakhor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP
Yes, select the gauge you want to change and change the signal to Analog 1 or 2. Then in the setting menu where you setup the analog input is where you select the units and label for the analog input. I did not use any external stuff.
Thank you, did you happen to monitor temps prior to installing a trans cooler (I'm assuming you have one)?

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
Curious what trans temps you get because my sensor is reading >260 (which is the max of my gauge) on a road course halfway through a session! Ridiculous...

Sponsored

Trakhor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP
No trans cooler, just a temp gauge for now. Put one in since I was already wiring the oil temp sensor.
Gotcha, thanks again. I'm putting mine in to determine if I need a cooler.
I've already committed to doing a diff cooler. I like the dual pass cooler shown by someone else that posted on this thread, but if its not needed then I can use parts I already have.

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
I really meant to ask since installing the trans temp sensor, sorry. What temps are you seeing?

Trakhor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP
OK, here is what I have been doing.

Just have the under car to plumb should have that done this weekend.

Dave
Dave do you have pics of how you routed the lines up to the trans? I've spent some time under mine today and not really crazy about the options I'm seeing.

So far if i keep with the plan of cooling the trans in a cooler similar to what you used my plan would be to run hard line along the tunnel and convert backto soft line near the subframe to go around the diff and up to the pump and cooler. My issue with this is that i don't want to defeat the cooler with exhaust heat

Trakhor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP
Here is the initial pass at installing the trans temp sensor.
I'm hoping I can find a double ended banjo eye so I can run the feed hose to the cooler off the other side. If not I'll move the banjo to the fill plug and use a M16 to -8an adapter and a T with a female on the side leg
diff sensor.jpg

ddozier

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.trackcarbuilds.com
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
Curious what trans temps you get because my sensor is reading >260 (which is the max of my gauge) on a road course halfway through a session! Ridiculous...
Even with our cooler running on a high speed track like Road America we can see diff temps spike into the 245-250 range, but they are short term spikes and will rapidly drop to the 210-220 range. I never had a temp sensor to check before data but the rear end must get crazy hot when no diff cooler is used.

The trans is likely running hotter than the diff, with our cooler on the trans we still see trans temps peak out at 248 on a big track like Road America after a 25 min session.

This is certainly in the manageable range but ideally I would like to see peak temps not exceed 225, this is going to take a much larger cooler than the one we are currently running to meet that goal.

Dave do you have pics of how you routed the lines up to the trans? I've spent some time under mine today and not really crazy about the options I'm seeing.

So far if i keep with the plan of cooling the trans in a cooler similar to what you used my plan would be to run hard line along the tunnel and convert backto soft line near the subframe to go around the diff and up to the pump and cooler. My issue with this is that i don't want to defeat the cooler with exhaust heat
I ran -6 hose up and over the fuel tank and transition to hard line -6 tube by the front passenger corner of the fuel tank, run the hard lines down the passenger side and then to the trans tunnel, I then change back to a hose an connect to the trans. They is no real clean path to get there and you have to be careful to heat shield everything to make sure you do not end up heating the tube with the exhaust.

I have attached some pics, not the best but it will give you an idea for what I did.

Dave
IMG_5275.jpg
IMG_5276.jpg
IMG_5277.jpg
IMG_5278.jpg
IMG_5279.jpg
IMG_5280.jpg
IMG_5281.jpg
Sponsored