Sponsored

2017 GT PP Track Impressions - Spoiler Alert: exceeded expectations!

HeelToeHero

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT PP, 05 focus st
So, I've finally taken my 12000km mustang on track. I (like most here) read these forums and read all the things the car would need or the short comings: oil cooler, diff overheating, track pads, Michelin ps4 or pilot sport tires, sway bars and better spring rates to name a few.

Full disclosure: I'm not a track rat. I have somewhere between a half dozen and dozen track days under my belt. I came from a neon that on a good day made 100whp, so this is still 'fast' to me. Mosport is a momentum track so although there are high sustained speeds, the track is relatively easy on brakes. Direction changes are pretty smooth and fluid as well. As for the car: I did swap the rear end fluid and trans fluid with BG stuff from OP mustang, and the brake fluid was flushed with motul rbf600. Other than a catback exhaust the car is stock.

Track day conditions: ambient temperature of 35C (95F) with a humidex bringing it up into the 40's (110F). Lapping was 20 minute sessions from 9a.m. to 5p.m. with a 1 hour lunch and 3 run groups.

Impressions: I'm ecstatic with how the car performed. I never experienced anything close to brake fade and the differential overheat error never reared its head (I installed a temp sticker on the diff housing and never saw anything triggered the sticker and my temp gun showed 140F after coming into the pits). The car cylinder head temp did get up to 105C (220F) but I see that all the time in stop and go traffic. The temp needle never moved. The oil temp does seem to be the limiting factor (although I suspect the algorithm that calculates it is conservative). I would have to back off for a lap as the oil creeped towards the yellow (maybe 270F) to bring it back down but I was able to run full sessions all day long. I would also use traffic as opportunities to cool the car. Our region is in a heat wave right now so for this area I consider it extreme conditions from a temperature perspective.

Conclusions: Although I don't dispute that suspension and reliability modifications will only improve the car's on track manners, these shouldn't be barriers to getting out on track! Especially if you are a novice like myself, the factory car seems so much more capable than I am. Taking a slower lap mid session was also a reasonable compromise to me on such a hot day. There is also something to be said about a comfortable quiet and cool ride home at the end of the day and the 98% of the other time I'm using the car when it isn't on a track.

Here is one of my better laps. The helmet cam position wasn't optimal but that's my fault for not testing it earlier.
Sponsored

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
nice. Pretty fun cars eh?

JohnD

Legend in his own mind
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mach 1 track day car
I felt the same way after my first track day in my '16 PP. It is a very capable dual purpose car just the way it came from Ford. But you can always make it better with a few well chosen bits and pieces!

OP
OP

HeelToeHero

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT PP, 05 focus st
Little update: my temp stickers on my diff and trans read as follows:
Diff: <250f
Trans: 260f
Sponsored