Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2016 mustang GT350 Tech Pack, 2011 Mustang Racecar, 2011 Raptor
Background, my gen2 aluminator 5.0 NA (boss 302 topend) in my S197 racecar spat out its crankshaft.

I'm now having to rebuild and during the process, the boss 302 cnc cylinder heads are harder to come by. that all said, the S550 GT head is plentiful, but my tuner said to look at the b302 heads if at all possible. I have a goal of revving to 7800rpm (and an ideal shift point around 7600). I've had setups go as far as 8300rpm but for competition use I'd like to leave some margin and classing rules now penalize that last 500rpm.

My concerns are that it uses the same upgraded valvespring, but has a larger and heavier valve on both intake and exhaust. I'm worried if the head can keep up without float, and how the heads themselves fare for 1 hour race sessions. I have to drive the car real hard to compete in my region and on the national level, but I have a budget.

Who here runs these S550 cars hard? What's the feedback? Each s550 head is $500, and the boss heads $1200.
Sponsored

Austinj427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
Background, my gen2 aluminator 5.0 NA (boss 302 topend) in my S197 racecar spat out its crankshaft.

I'm now having to rebuild and during the process, the boss 302 cnc cylinder heads are harder to come by. that all said, the S550 GT head is plentiful, but my tuner said to look at the b302 heads if at all possible. I have a goal of revving to 7800rpm (and an ideal shift point around 7600). I've had setups go as far as 8300rpm but for competition use I'd like to leave some margin and classing rules now penalize that last 500rpm.

My concerns are that it uses the same upgraded valvespring, but has a larger and heavier valve on both intake and exhaust. I'm worried if the head can keep up without float, and how the heads themselves fare for 1 hour race sessions. I have to drive the car real hard to compete in my region and on the national level, but I have a budget.

Who here runs these S550 cars hard? What's the feedback? Each s550 head is $500, and the boss heads $1200.
I talked to Shaun at AED some time ago. He said personally he doesn't see float with these engines at 8500rpm. But with that said, he is also drag racing.

That's about all I can tell you. I wonder if JPC would be the guys to call. I know they do some strong N/A builds and livernois has also built a good running road car.

OP
OP
Captdistraction

Captdistraction

Not the Stig
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2016 mustang GT350 Tech Pack, 2011 Mustang Racecar, 2011 Raptor
bump. Hadn't found much more information, but it appears my concerns about the Gen2 heads are probably fine for my purposes.
Sponsored