Sponsored

Koons Ford (and other dealers posting prices well below MSRP)?

antimatr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a car
I've noticed this forum seemed rather quiet with regards to this particular topic.

While I was browsing the web a couple of weeks ago, I stumbled onto cargurus.com and noticed a large number of '18 GTs and GT Premiums at prices well below MSRP.

As you'd probably figured out by the thread title, the prices that really caught my eye were from Koons Ford Falls Church/Sterling/Baltimore.

After three years of love/hate ownership of my '15 Challenger Scat Pack, and upon seeing the WOW pricing at Koons, the idea of getting rid of said Challenger and replacing it with an '18 GT is now firmly implanted into my cranium.

Suffice to say, I'm also a rather strict adherent to 'if it's too good to be true...', but I couldn't simply ignore the pricing, especially on one particular GT Premium that was sitting at Falls Church (didn't have the exact options I wanted, but at ~$7k off a $44k sticker and $2k less than what a base GT/PP stickers at I'm not exactly going to say no...) .

So...on Wednesday, I decided to ring up Koons in Falls Church. I'll just say I was less than impressed with that particular experience.

I've also pored over some of the threads regarding Koons, and read of customers getting 'average' deals (dealer invoice + destinations + usual 'fees' + whatever rebates apply during a particular timeframe). I've also read at least one post reporting customers getting lowballed on their trade-ins. It also seems they're not entirely upfront when it comes to details on pricing (I believe the WOW price doesn't include destination, for instance)...

On the other hand, I've seen multiple posters apparently getting very good deals and service (one that stands out is one particular gentleman ordering his from out-of-state and getting his GT for around $6k off). I'm also getting the distinct impression that Koons Sterling and Baltimore seem to have more positive experiences overall than Falls Church...

I've never purchased a car out-of-state, but as I stated earlier above, there's no way I can pass up such an offer if it turns out to be true; at the same time, I can't help but be very skeptical regarding these prices. I'm also not interested in making a 13-hour, ~900 mile drive only to get screwed over on one or more aspects with regards to a purchase, or be presented with an 'average' deal.

I was hoping anyone here could give me some recent experiences/feedback regarding these dealerships, or if I'd be better off with somewhere closer to home (Central FL).
Sponsored

BarefooTonka

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
AJ
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
I'm in the Northern VA Area and bought my stang 2 years ago from TedBritt (Love it Price) well below what others had them advertised for. The biggest draw back is no haggling they advertise these low prices and won't budge, all in all I think the price was fair but you are correct to assume things like destination or prep aren't included especially the biggest tax...

I would get it in writing over email before making the drive to flush out the details, so you know what you are getting into. That seemed to be the easiest way to compare and get the dealers fighting for your business. Koons and TedBritt usually have the best selection and they know it, so don't expect any wiggle room on top of the low list price.

nelson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Ford Fusion Energi
I'm picking up an 18 GT Premium Auto (MSRP $42,585) this week in Colorado for $37,335 before taxes and fees. I think there are discounts to be had at all dealers, it just matters how much time you're willing to push getting them down.

OP
OP

antimatr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a car
Most of the dealers in my area seem to think they're doing me a favor by selling or ordering a car at MSRP (or outright balk at my even suggesting going below sticker...); I'd have no problem at all with the prices I've seen from Koons or Ted Britt (so long as they don't spring any BS fees on me; regardless, I always request an itemized OTD price with any vehicle purchase).

I was initially planning on a base 2018 GT manual w/PP, 301A and active exhaust, but now have my sights centered on a GT Premium w/401A, PP and active exhaust (especially after spending some seat time with one 401A-equipped example yesterday...).

robw_39

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I just bought a 2018 Mustang GT 10r80 car with 401A and active exhaust and a few others things MSRP was 46365.00 I paid 44237 OTD.

Now I had a trade which I actually was a little negative on which I typically won't do but felt like the deal was pretty fair and figured it all out if I didn't have a trade and I came out about the same with my trade vs no trade so I did it.

My trade was a 2017 RAM 1500 Rebel I paid 48K for it last year they gave me 41K but I owed 42,380.00

Oh and I tried a few other local dealers and the best they would do on the trade was 37,500.00

So if I did the deal without the trade in I would have paid this...

Without trade numbers:
MSRP: 46,365.00
Discount 6,000.00
Price: 40,365.00
Tag/Tile 80
Doc Fee 699
Tax@ 7.5% 3085

OTD price: 44223.80 vs my actual OTD price 44232.95

Also my truck payment was due Feb 1st which was 732.00 and I didn't have to make that payment so with that factored in the deal even seemed better to me.

First payment on the Mustang isn't due until March 15th. Also my insurance only went up 2 dollars per month.

So after all was said and done I did the deal now I just need the car to get here lol but should be this week.

My tips for the best deal is to wait to the end of the month then go out on the dealer websites and start requesting info on cars you like... see who is the most desperate to move inventory before the end of the month and most of the time you will get the best deal...

I bought my car on Jan 31 I believe that is the only reason I got 41K for my trade... mid month dealers didn't want to touch my trade for over 38K... I don't think I got a great deal but fair and since I was upside down on my trade that was all I was looking for...

Well that was my buying experience overall lowered my payments 40 dollars per month not much but the right direction lol...

Sponsored

5pointOh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1 Ingot Silver "Millennium Falcon" @falcon_s550
I've noticed this forum seemed rather quiet with regards to this particular topic.

While I was browsing the web a couple of weeks ago, I stumbled onto cargurus.com and noticed a large number of '18 GTs and GT Premiums at prices well below MSRP.

As you'd probably figured out by the thread title, the prices that really caught my eye were from Koons Ford Falls Church/Sterling/Baltimore.

After three years of love/hate ownership of my '15 Challenger Scat Pack, and upon seeing the WOW pricing at Koons, the idea of getting rid of said Challenger and replacing it with an '18 GT is now firmly implanted into my cranium.

Suffice to say, I'm also a rather strict adherent to 'if it's too good to be true...', but I couldn't simply ignore the pricing, especially on one particular GT Premium that was sitting at Falls Church (didn't have the exact options I wanted, but at ~$7k off a $44k sticker and $2k less than what a base GT/PP stickers at I'm not exactly going to say no...) .

So...on Wednesday, I decided to ring up Koons in Falls Church. I'll just say I was less than impressed with that particular experience.

I've also pored over some of the threads regarding Koons, and read of customers getting 'average' deals (dealer invoice + destinations + usual 'fees' + whatever rebates apply during a particular timeframe). I've also read at least one post reporting customers getting lowballed on their trade-ins. It also seems they're not entirely upfront when it comes to details on pricing (I believe the WOW price doesn't include destination, for instance)...

On the other hand, I've seen multiple posters apparently getting very good deals and service (one that stands out is one particular gentleman ordering his from out-of-state and getting his GT for around $6k off). I'm also getting the distinct impression that Koons Sterling and Baltimore seem to have more positive experiences overall than Falls Church...

I've never purchased a car out-of-state, but as I stated earlier above, there's no way I can pass up such an offer if it turns out to be true; at the same time, I can't help but be very skeptical regarding these prices. I'm also not interested in making a 13-hour, ~900 mile drive only to get screwed over on one or more aspects with regards to a purchase, or be presented with an 'average' deal.

I was hoping anyone here could give me some recent experiences/feedback regarding these dealerships, or if I'd be better off with somewhere closer to home (Central FL).
Brandon Ford in Tampa, no need to travel to DC for Koons "deals"

Boston23

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PPP Ingot Silver
I went up to Koons Ford, Sterling to pick up my 2017 GT. MSRP was $41,855 on a GT PP Premium. There advertised WOW Price was $35k and some change and I also had a Ford $750 coupon so I was out the door at $35k. Coming from SC my taxes were fixed at $200 so check to see what FL would be. No bait and switch, the car was there when we arrived with 8 actual miles and I have already received the VIN. I couldn’t get a dealer in either of the Carolinas to budge below $38k. I fly for free so flying into IAD and driving home a little over 500 miles was fine with me. I would have preferred to get a local deal but that wasn’t going to happen at the time. If you end up interested in a deal from Koons in Sterling, PM me and I’ll give you my salesman’s info. He picked me up out front of the airport and drove me to the dealership. We test drove the car and 90 minutes later I was driving home.

Spork3245

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium PP1 w/Magneride
Honestly, show them Koon’s pricing and ask “will you match or beat them? They’re willing to work with me over the phone but I’d rather buy locally so I’m giving you a shot. I don’t want a big back and forth, just give me a yes or no.”. You’ll be surprised how far directness to what you want will go.

Big Boss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda6
So are the Koons Ford WOW prices the price they will actually sell the car for (less taxes fees etc)

Some local dealers to me show great online prices, but when you break it down they have every incentive stacked in that price even when certain incentives don't stack. Example, say theres an incentive for 0% APR + 2000 cash back OR 4500 cash back. Some dealers here factor both of those into their online price.

Boston23

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PPP Ingot Silver
So are the Koons Ford WOW prices the price they will actually sell the car for (less taxes fees etc)

Some local dealers to me show great online prices, but when you break it down they have every incentive stacked in that price even when certain incentives don't stack. Example, say theres an incentive for 0% APR + 2000 cash back OR 4500 cash back. Some dealers here factor both of those into their online price.
Their WOW price will include incentives and rebates.

Sponsored

Big Boss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda6
So they do the same thing, stack incentives and rebates that can't be combined to make the price look lower

gearhead2685

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 mustang
After trying multiple times to get a GT350 at MSRP from Koons they can take a hike. I wont even waste my time stopping at their lots anymore or even looking at 18s with them.

Pretty bad when they at one time had like 17 GT350s in stock and wouldnt sell any at MSRP.

Ive come to expect smaller dealerships are easier to deal with.

Last edited:

krishelnino

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Krishna
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium MT82 Race Red
OP, i had a very good experience with Koon's Ford Baltimore. I am an out-of-state buyer too. All i had to ask them was if they can do similar discounts on the cars they have on their lot for a custom order, my salesman said why not. I sent them the build configuration, my salesman came up with the order sheet and WOW price. They took my card details and the order was placed in a day and within a week it was on COTUS and I have a VIN.

PM me if you want my salesman info.

ctandc72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT 6 speed Base
Vehicle Showcase
So they do the same thing, stack incentives and rebates that can't be combined to make the price look lower
That was what I ran into at several dealers before I bought my '17. One in particular, I emailed them about a car they had on lot. They wouldn't respond without wanting to call me. Finally I called the salesperson and she wouldn't even give me a OTD price. I told her thanks and hung up. She called me back and then finally said "The price you see online is every available rebate / incentive that's out there right now. We have to make sure you qualify for them."

As in military, first responder, first time buyer and a couple others.
Sponsored