Sponsored

Manual Trans. Thud when shifting

skytop1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shelby GT500
Did you try the steeda bushings or the MGW shifterr?
Absolutely did both and more. I even drove up to MGW to have the shifter installed. I am experiencing annoying shifter vibration and buzzing during hard acceleration.
Sponsored

EchoTango

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Gt PP
I was one of the first posts with this problem. The problem should have never evolved into the problem it has. Ford is better then this. But, after 5700 the the transmission anomaly in my car has gone. Don't know why/how, just has.

foghat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT w/PP
This thread is making me have second thoughts about purchasing a 2016 Mustang GT PP. This will be my first ever manual transmission car. I test drove the automatic and told the sales guy to drive the manual for me and heard the thuds when he was shifting and they were pretty loud. When i asked him about that he said it was normal but it didnt sound normal at all. This was from a 40 mile brand new car sitting on the lot.
What to do... I was so convinced on the Mustang GT until i found this thread.
It's normal for this car. You need to decide if you can live with it or not.

Grandfunk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350
You can add me to the list of people who experience difficulty shifting accompanied by a loud thud.

I don't get much N-1st but on every up-shift through 4th I get a loud thud as it goes into gear, intensity gets less with each successive gear and is gone by 4th-5th. Loud enough to cause my rear-view mirror to vibrate. Almost sounds like a dampened sub or bass drum.

I can cruise to 40 mph, push the clutch in, and move the shifter from 3rd to 4th over and over and it will thud loudly with each back and forth. To add to that there is a good bit of resistance when upshifting that accompanies the thud and I'm ready to try anything to solve the problem. I don't like having to force shifts like this it really detracts from the enjoyment of the car.

If I can't fix it I may have to let it go and this is the 7th mustang I've owned. Never had such concerns before. Maybe I got old?

Mustangster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
I occasionally carpool with a colleague of mine and he drives a BMW Z4 with stick shift. I often hear a similar thud in that car too. It mostly happens during low gear shifts (1 to 2 and 2 to 3).

Sponsored

FordTechOne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cobra
This thread is making me have second thoughts about purchasing a 2016 Mustang GT PP. This will be my first ever manual transmission car. I test drove the automatic and told the sales guy to drive the manual for me and heard the thuds when he was shifting and they were pretty loud. When i asked him about that he said it was normal but it didnt sound normal at all. This was from a 40 mile brand new car sitting on the lot.
What to do... I was so convinced on the Mustang GT until i found this thread.
I've driven many an S550 Mustang and never have I even noticed the "thud" when shifting until people on this forum started obsessing about it and convincing others that it's a "problem".

People don't realize that there always has to be a balance between comfort and performance. If the durometer of the engine, transmission, and differential mount bushings is too high, you will minimize concerns such as the "thud" but you will end up with additional Noise, Vibration, and Harshness (NVH). If the durometer is too low, you will have little NVH, but the bushings/mounts will wear out/break more quickly, driveline angles will change significantly under load, and driveline component performance/durability will be compromised due to excessive deflection.

Stop listening to the nonsense that people post on the internet forums and start making decisions for yourself. If you seriously can't understand and live with some noise when engaging/changing gears, then look at a different transmission or a different vehicle.

skytop1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shelby GT500
While at any speed, if I shift from say, 3 to 4 and then back to 3, or 4 to 5 and right back to 5, I get HUGe shock and thump. The entire car resonate and shutters. It is that SEVERE.

When I show it to my Ford service manager, he is forced to acknowledge the obvious problem but according to Ford, he cannot to anything about it. Nuts to Ford.

foghat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT w/PP
While at any speed, if I shift from say, 3 to 4 and then back to 3, or 4 to 5 and right back to 5, I get HUGe shock and thump. The entire car resonate and shutters. It is that SEVERE.

When I show it to my Ford service manager, he is forced to acknowledge the obvious problem but according to Ford, he cannot to anything about it. Nuts to Ford.
That is definitely a a few levels above what I am experiencing. All I get is thud that I can hear. I'd maybe try another dealer (or push harder with that dealer - see if they can get Ford to actually take a look), as what you are seeing feels a little beyond just the 'thud'.

skytop1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shelby GT500
Foghat: My service manager is a very good and competant guy but Ford has said three times that they recognize the noise and thump but they REFUSE to do anything or repair anything concerning it. Ford take the position that the noise, vibration and thump are "NORMAL" behavior of the Mustang with manual shift.
This sums is up perfectly:
1463158022.FORDDD.jpg

foghat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT w/PP
Curious, has Ford has actually been out to look at your car?

I know that Ford will say the thud is normal and won't do anything about it, but your case seems a little extreme.

Sponsored

skytop1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shelby GT500
Ford was directly contacted and they directed replied they are fully aware of the condition and the car is operating normally.
Ford's ignoble response is what angers me and so many others suffering with this problem. What good is a Ford warranty if the company sees product defect or failure as 'normal operation.' This is a clear case of breech of the corporate warranty contract. I see it as an intentionaltort. This could be the makings of a legitimate class action lawsuit.

Kong76

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ingot Silver GT
I have the thud but it doesn't bother me as much as this notchy, sometimes grinding gear shifting.

PatM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
My shifter rotational noise is annoying me even more that the thud is anymore. Dealers says it's normal. You can hear it loudest in second gear. Roll along about 30mph in second gear and pull the shifter slightly to the left. It makes this noise without pulling the shifter to the left but this amplifies the noise so you know what I mean. Mine is pretty darn loud. Try it and let me know if any of you hear it.
I do have a 2016 GT PP and this is exactly what I experience. I am currently in several dealer loops including extensive clunking issues when shifting but this rotational/grinding whatever noise also concerns me much more (see http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52721). Comes through the shifter boot and is most pronounced around 2500-3500 rpm. Slightly pushing the shifter to the left as you described makes the noise very pronounced.

Would be interesting to know how things developed from your end. Maybe could be beneficial when dealing with the dealer.

VinnAY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Camaro 1SS/1LE
Some of you guys have just never driven a standard before, it seems to me, and you're just not cut out for it. You can't comprehend drive line lash and throw out bearings. To that point, my 15 is the BEST standard transmission/driveline I've ever had.