Sponsored

Ford PP 2 Pinging

tubingchamp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium
Hi there,

Recently installed the PP2, and I am having issues with pinging around 1500-2250 RPM and around 30% throttle.

I've been using 91 for about 5 months, and since the tune, have about 7/10 of a tank of 94.

JLT Oil Separator on order, but won't be here for a few weeks.

Also noticed that it seems to be better when the outside temp is lower (in the morning, before the intake temp rises above 30 degrees).

Any suggestions on what to do until the oil separator comes in? I'm skeptical that it will fix the issue, honestly. Already have the "Octane Adjust" setting set to "Y".

Thanks.
Sponsored

arfabe16

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium
Can you record the sound and post it?

OP
OP
tubingchamp

tubingchamp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium
Can you record the sound and post it?
It's actually pretty tough to hear.. With my exhaust, it has to bounce off of something to actually hear it clearly, can't reproduce the sound while stationary as far as I know.

Sounds kind of like slowly crinkling paper though.

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
That doesn't sound like pinging. Have you actually scanned to monitor KR?

Sounds like the BBQ tick everyone is talking about. Engine pinging is very distinct and doesn't sound anything like crinkling paper.

It's actually pretty tough to hear.. With my exhaust, it has to bounce off of something to actually hear it clearly, can't reproduce the sound while stationary as far as I know.

Sounds kind of like slowly crinkling paper though.

Sponsored

OP
OP
tubingchamp

tubingchamp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium
That doesn't sound like pinging. Have you actually scanned to monitor KR?

Sounds like the BBQ tick everyone is talking about. Engine pinging is very distinct and doesn't sound anything like crinkling paper.
Hmm..

Interesting, I just assumed that it was pinging because it only started occurring after flashing the tune. I've been WOT a good deal with the stock intake + tune, and have never heard that sound.

Is there any way to rule it out? I tried to record today on the way to work in 6th and WOT, heard it lightly, but couldn't get it on video.

Is there a way to scan for KR with the ProCal tool? (Not very familiar with scanning in general).

Thanks for the reply.

OP
OP
tubingchamp

tubingchamp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium
Also, to add..

After looking up a few of the "BBQ Tick" videos, it appears that this occurs for people at idle, or while stationary.

I haven't noticed anything odd until I'm in a certain RPM range, and mostly when going uphill or the engine is under load. Is it possible that there's an issue with the TB install? (maybe it's not tightened to specs) or a vac leak or something?

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
I don't think you can scan with the ProCal tune, I never tried to since I have my own scanning software. But I can say that the PP2 calibration has very little to no KR in the scan when using 93. It does seem rather aggressive with timing, but it does a good job adjusting for it.

The BBQ tick is also at very low engine loads and most pronounced when near a wall, you can really hear it then when the sound bounces back off something.

arfabe16

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium
I don't think you can scan with the ProCal tune, I never tried to since I have my own scanning software. But I can say that the PP2 calibration has very little to no KR in the scan when using 93. It does seem rather aggressive with timing, but it does a good job adjusting for it.

The BBQ tick is also at very low engine loads and most pronounced when near a wall, you can really hear it then when the sound bounces back off something.
What is the BBQ tick?

Sponsored
OP
OP
tubingchamp

tubingchamp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium
Yeah, very different from what I'm hearing..

arfabe16

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium
It's a tick that the engine makes at around idle that sounds like the igniter clicking sound on a BBQ grille.
Hmmm I'll have to look out for it. Do people know what's causing it and how damaging it is?

OP
OP
tubingchamp

tubingchamp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium
I'll set up a data log tonight on the way home and let you guys know what I find.

Thanks

OP
OP
tubingchamp

tubingchamp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium
Ended up doing a log on my lunch break because I was stoked that I found an old SCT3 unit. Mated up just fine, read all the sensors..

0 degrees of knock (I believe this was the correct variable?), 0 misfires..

I will be re-checking all of my connections tonight. Probably left something loose in the engine bay. (what's odd is that it doesn't rattle at higher speed, just a certain RPM...

OP
OP
tubingchamp

tubingchamp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium
I checked everything, seems to be fine. Replaced and re-clamped all of the lines that connect to the T joint supplied by Ford Performance, but still hear that odd rattle sound.

Could it just be the sound that the intake makes? Not sure if anyone that has PP2 can comment on the sound of the intake during load..
Sponsored