Sponsored

EB to GT

Jdenkevitz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby GT PP. Former 2016 Ecoboost owner.
After owning (and enjoying) a 2016 EB, I gave into the little devil on my shoulder and sold it, and turned around and picked up a 2016 Ruby Red GT PP from Koons.

Not the most rationale decision, as the difference in fuel economy is dramatic.
My insurance went up by around 130 a year between the two.

The EB could be rather quick, but it really felt like the engine was working hard to do so. It was also susceptible to heat soak issues, and I was about to jump down the aftermarket intercool/tune (warranty threatening) rabbit hole.

The GT PP feels like a completely different animal. Incredibly happy with it.

I think the EB could be dramatically improved by a much better stock intercooler, and a slightly larger engine. I think Ford should scrap the current EB and v6 offerings, and instead present a 2.7L v6 ecoboost in their stead. Obviously the 3.5L eco is an option, but that would probably make the v8 redundant and I can't see them doing that due to the public outcry.

BTW for any coyote owners, whats the best break in practices for this engine and for how long?
Sponsored

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
After owning (and enjoying) a 2016 EB, I gave into the little devil on my shoulder and sold it, and turned around and picked up a 2016 Ruby Red GT PP from Koons.

The EB could be rather quick, but it really felt like the engine was working hard to do so. It was also susceptible to heat soak issues, and I was about to jump down the aftermarket intercool/tune (warranty threatening) rabbit hole.

I think the EB could be dramatically improved by a much better stock intercooler, and a slightly larger engine. I think Ford should scrap the current EB and v6 offerings, and instead present a 2.7L v6 ecoboost in their stead. Obviously the 3.5L eco is an option, but that would probably make the v8 redundant and I can't see them doing that due to the public outcry.

BTW for any coyote owners, whats the best break in practices for this engine and for how long?
Congrats on the new beast. You'll love it.

As far as break in goes, drive it normally, but as little constant speed driving as you can. If you need to make highway trips, change speed regularly (i.e., spend time at 70, then 65, then 75 or whatever works). Don't fear going WOT or hitting redline, with the exception of the first 100 miles on redline. You want the engine to break in like you want it to run later. I wouldn't spend a lot of time beating on it, but do take it up there occasionally when the situation allows. You'll get all kinds of advice on when to do the first oil change. I did mine at 1500 miles and have had stellar used oil analyses since then (almost at 30,000 miles).

OP
OP
Jdenkevitz

Jdenkevitz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Congrats on the new beast. You'll love it.

As far as break in goes, drive it normally, but as little constant speed driving as you can. If you need to make highway trips, change speed regularly (i.e., spend time at 70, then 65, then 75 or whatever works). Don't fear going WOT or hitting redline, with the exception of the first 100 miles on redline. You want the engine to break in like you want it to run later. I wouldn't spend a lot of time beating on it, but do take it up there occasionally when the situation allows. You'll get all kinds of advice on when to do the first oil change. I did mine at 1500 miles and have had stellar used oil analyses since then (almost at 30,000 miles).
Awesome advice, thank you.
Did you go full synthetic?

Also, the gearing is obviously different than my EB, especially in terms of where the torque is and which gears really pull the best at certain speeds.
With the 3.73 gearing, what do you find to be your optimal (for power) speed/rpm shift points?

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Awesome advice, thank you.
Did you go full synthetic?

Also, the gearing is obviously different than my EB, especially in terms of where the torque is and which gears really pull the best at certain speeds.
With the 3.73 gearing, what do you find to be your optimal (for power) speed/rpm shift points?
Yes I did. Pennzoil Ultra Platinum.

I have the 3.31 gears but shift points would be similar, just at different vehicle speed. For non aggressive daily driving I am usually shifting between 2.5k to 3.5k rpm, depending on the speed limit of the road. An interesting experiment is to shift under 2250 in all gears...fuel economy goes up considerably, but it sure isn't all that fun :lol:. In most driving situations I skip shift (1-3-5-6 or 2-4-6 if not from a stop). It's actually fairly easy to take off from a stop in 2nd with the 3.73s, though.

For power, shift near redline. It makes power all the way up and each shift sets you up just after the torque peak for the next gear. I usually end up short shifting slightly (6500 or so) in 1st because it comes so fast and you can hit the fuel cutoff faster than you realize.

Last edited:

WhiteyDog

WOOF!!!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT PP
Congrats on the new ride. I still smile ear to ear when I get in mine (unfortunately that's not enough due to work). And yeah, like BmacIL said, you'll get all kinds of info on oil and oil changes. There are plenty of mods available out there for these things, too. If you go that direction.

Sponsored

Khyber

it's a hard parked life
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Landon
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP CO
manual has the break in recommendation.

AR306

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shadow Black Ecoboost Base Auto w/ 19's
I want a GT... :(

Congrats tho.. :thumbsup:

ktp1598

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bobby
Vehicle(s)
2019 Kona Blue California Special
Congrats on the GT purchase! I second the 2.7 EB option. I think this would be the best engine to replace the 4 and 6 cylinder in the Mustang. My wife has it in her 2015 Edge sport and even in that heavy beast it pulls impressively! Gets great, for it's size, gas mileage too. Even sounds good. I likely would have gotten my car with this engine if it were available at the time. Not complaining about my current choice though..

OP
OP
Jdenkevitz

Jdenkevitz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Congrats on the GT purchase! I second the 2.7 EB option. I think this would be the best engine to replace the 4 and 6 cylinder in the Mustang. My wife has it in her 2015 Edge sport and even in that heavy beast it pulls impressively! Gets great, for it's size, gas mileage too. Even sounds good. I likely would have gotten my car with this engine if it were available at the time. Not complaining about my current choice though..
The salesman at Koons said something about there being an issue with the 2.7 EB's recently, have you guys had issues?

Jasber

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Ecoboost Ingot Silver
How in the world were you able to get out of your EB so quickly? I've had mine since 11/14 and I'm so upside down no one will touch a trade up to a GT for me!

Sponsored

SpArKy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
How in the world were you able to get out of your EB so quickly? I've had mine since 11/14 and I'm so upside down no one will touch a trade up to a GT for me!
maybe he paid cash? or at least had equity in his car.

OP
OP
Jdenkevitz

Jdenkevitz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I owned the EB.
Shopped it to multiple dealers, truecar sell, craigslist ad, Carmax, Vroom, and Beepi. Vroom made the highest offer. Beepi would have been higher had I been patient. Best way is a private sale.

Trade in's are not ideal way to maximize value.

Chargersfan81

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Race Red

Very smart move and most EB owners who crave for more power probably thought the same.

I too had an EB and when I traded her for a GT.. It felt as if all the rainy days just turned into sunshine! My GT is stock and totally happy with the performance and SOUND.

Now if another GT pulls up next to me at the stoplight, that feeling of infuriation is LONG GONE!!! lol

Congrats, I know you are def. happy as I am :clap2:

Chargersfan81

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Race Red
I want a GT... :(

Congrats tho.. :thumbsup:
What is holding you back? Do it, that little devil will stay on your shoulder as long as long as you have the EB.

Honestly, the EB when I purchased it wasn't bad and it was exciting. It was all the YouTube videos, forums that made fun of the EB.. Didn't care for the banter but eventually, it just gets to you. Then when a GT drives next to you or by you.. then you think to yourself what if!

I feel for you bro.. I was in the same shoes in the EB just waiting to get out :eek:

15wile

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT
Welcome to the EB to GT club, of which I am also a member. Enjoy it.
Sponsored