Sponsored

Track Pads (Brakes Pads that is)...

Goose

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350
Attention all track junkies like me... Let's talk brake pads. Namely, track / racing specific brake pads.

I have been reaching out to my contacts in motorsports trying to find out who is stepping up 1st. Now...it sounds like Hawk might be, but after speaking to them, not till 2017. (they are just coming to the market with a set for the performance pack GT, so don't expect anything soon for the Shelby.)

I also spoke to an engineer at Performance Friction and they would like to, but need more interest from the folks out there to put a business case together for our cars. So...if you like PFC brakes, call them and tell them you would like them to make a set of motorsports pads for the Shelby GT350 and GT350R. The more that do - the better.

As I research more - I will post my results here. I'm certain there are others like me who would like a set of pads for track.

If anyone comes up with a manufacturer that is stepping up to make a set of track pads for our cars, please do post it here. I'm sure there are more like me that would like to run something better for go-fast weekends.

Here's the most recent brake pad scoop to date:

Information to date on performance level brake pads available:

Performance Friction: There has been some chatter about offering a product for the Shelby's. To accelerate this, please call PFC and express your interest to help it move forward.

Hawk Performance: Engineer said they are jut now releasing pads for the Performance pack on the 2015+ GT's. The Shelby's will come later. Likely late 2017 into 2018.

Carbotech: Supposedly pads are available in various compounds. It has been mentioned that the Ford Performance guys in Utah are running them on the Track Attack cars.

G-Loc: Available in various compounds. Supposedly similar to Carbotech, etc. Various prices are on the web. Some are at MSRP (who does that?) and others offer better deals. Anthony@HTM has them if you need them quickly.

Raybestos: No info yet, due to speak with them today.

Pagid Racing: Supposedly there are some Pagid pad sizes that are compatible with our calipers (this has not been confirmed). Pagid offers numerous compounds, including race and street. These are quite popular in the Porsche crowd. (Personal note - I have run these in the past. They are ok and will last. Initial bite is progressive...) Pad sizes mentioned: Part number 8083 for the front, 8208 for the rear. Side note - Pagids are notoriously expensive due to the crowds that run them (Porsche, Ferrari...etc.)

Ferrodo: See below

Stock Pads: Mentioned that they are made by Ferrodo. I will call Ferrodo and confirm if other compounds are planned - Stock pads are readily available now and cost effective. However, I do not recommend stock factory pads of unknown compounds for running advanced track sessions. Many have mentioned zero fade, great bite, etc. However it in my experience stock, street rated pads will degrade very quickly in extreme repeated use. (Just my $.02).

More info coming as soon as I have it available.
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP

Goose

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350
You haven't seen the group buy thread for GLOC pads?
Just now... Curious.

I have a feeling I know the guy pushing Torque RT700 (not the distributor)...Fairly certain it's the same guy who was pushing Prospeed Motorsports RS683 Dot 4 brake fluid not so many moons ago.

Caution flag raised on that one.

I will however check out the pads... for others who also a new and didn't know...here's the link:

http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?t=58096&highlight=GLOC

Stuntman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
many
Performance Friction makes GREAT pads. They run them on the race GT350R-Cs and just won LeMans in the Ford GT.

Still not sure if they are needed in a primarily street driven car.

cweller

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Performance Friction and Raybestos make the best race pads, period. I've had Hawks, Carbotechs, and all the other popular brands on my track cars over the years, and most of them are crap. (GLOCs are basically the same as Carbotechs from what I understand since past Carbotech employees started that company.) The folks doing the GLOC group buy probably aren't racers and just don't know better.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Goose

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350
Yep and yep. Right there with you regarding the pads.

Sure would like to see PFC come to the table with options for us. The engineer was very enthusiastic and very nice. He loved the fact I liked his products. He did hint that if more folks called, it would make for a better business case. So I would ask everyone interested in them to give PFC a call and chat with them.

Stuntman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
many
Carbotech friction isn't bad and works great for a lot of track day guys. Iirc, carbotech just bought sheets of friction from a supplier and cut the pads to size, which is why their turnaround time and new product releases were so quick. I'd imagine ex Carbotech employees knew of the supplier and could just do the same thing under a different name. But Carbotech is not in the same world as PFC.

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
The folks doing the GLOC group buy probably aren't racers and just don't know better.
Wow.

All hail King Douche Nozzle. You are all wrong and only King Douche NOzzle cweller is right.

By the way guys, I heard all members on Mustang6G aren't REAL racers. You're only a real racer if you know that it doesn't matter whether you win by an inch or a mile. Winning's winning. :crazy:

EDIT NOTE: While you're technically right, it's the way you came off. Calm the F down. Have you maybe considered that not everyone is possibly at a skill level capable of taking advantage of such top tier hardware? But what would I know, I'm not a REAL racer like you are, good King, sir.

Last edited:

xt6wagon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 base triple yellow
OEM.

Lasts long, you don't have enough tire to run out of braking power with them unless maybe you got a R on actual race tires up to temp. Maybe.

snaproll

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
350R/88LX/FR500S
Performance Friction and Raybestos make the best race pads, period. I've had Hawks, Carbotechs, and all the other popular brands on my track cars over the years, and most of them are crap. (GLOCs are basically the same as Carbotechs from what I understand since past Carbotech employees started that company.) The folks doing the GLOC group buy probably aren't racers and just don't know better.
Yep and yep. Right there with you regarding the pads.

Sure would like to see PFC come to the table with options for us. The engineer was very enthusiastic and very nice. He loved the fact I liked his products. He did hint that if more folks called, it would make for a better business case. So I would ask everyone interested in them to give PFC a call and chat with them.
I suspect you all are right. There may be the greatest thing since sliced bread being sold but getting me to switch from what I know works would take a free trial.

Sponsored

cweller

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Wow.

All hail King Douche Nozzle. You are all wrong and only King Douche NOzzle cweller is right.

By the way guys, I heard all members on Mustang6G aren't REAL racers. You're only a real racer if you know that it doesn't matter whether you win by an inch or a mile. Winning's winning. :crazy:

EDIT NOTE: While you're technically right, it's the way you came off. Calm the F down. Have you maybe considered that not everyone is possibly at a skill level capable of taking advantage of such top tier hardware? But what would I know, I'm not a REAL racer like you are, good King, sir.
If you can have a race pad that works better and lasts longer, isn't that a better way to go? If you happen to love Carbotech and GLOC, and if the pads work for you, then that's great too. To each their own.

Anthony@HTM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350 Track Pack
Just now... Curious.

I have a feeling I know the guy pushing Torque RT700 (not the distributor)...Fairly certain it's the same guy who was pushing Prospeed Motorsports RS683 Dot 4 brake fluid not so many moons ago.

Caution flag raised on that one.

I will however check out the pads... for others who also a new and didn't know...here's the link:

http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?t=58096&highlight=GLOC
Totally different, the last batch of prospeed was made in 2013 or so. All the stuff for sale is what's left of that. Prospeed was a 2 man team and had a falling out.

The guy who originally started prospeed left the company and reformulated it to make it better which is now RT700.

I don't sell anything that I wouldn't run on my own cars. My go to fluid before torque was Project Mu Fluid which is a great fluid, better than Motul or ATE. I switched to see what the hype was and as hooked. It lasts longer than the Project Mu Fluid and is cheaper. I can usually get around 8-10 track days before having to bleed my brakes.

Anthony@HTM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350 Track Pack
It's a shame to make that sort of assumption. My colleague and I have been racing for quite some time now. We only started selling parts because there was a demand for a company in our area that knew the HPDE world well. I've spent a lot of time here giving advice to people.

We've raced using many brake pads. Performance Friction, Ferodo, CL, GLOC, Carbotech, Project Mu and much more.

Each brand has their own pros and cons.

I prefer Ferodo personally. Unfortunately they take time to make pads like many of the bigger companies.

Since Carbotech and GLOC make them they can laser cut backing plates and have their compounds applied to the backing plate.

GLOC and Carbtoech pads work really well. Their only downside is that they must be bed in properly. 95% of the people who call them junk are the ones who don't do this.

For the record I am running GLOC R12/R10 on my GT350 and they are performing very well.

mmm635

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350R
It's a shame to make that sort of assumption. My colleague and I have been racing for quite some time now. We only started selling parts because there was a demand for a company in our area that knew the HPDE world well. I've spent a lot of time here giving advice to people.

We've raced using many brake pads. Performance Friction, Ferodo, CL, GLOC, Carbotech, Project Mu and much more.

Each brand has their own pros and cons.

I prefer Ferodo personally. Unfortunately they take time to make pads like many of the bigger companies.

Since Carbotech and GLOC make them they can laser cut backing plates and have their compounds applied to the backing plate.

GLOC and Carbtoech pads work really well. Their only downside is that they must be bed in properly. 95% of the people who call them junk are the ones who don't do this.

For the record I am running GLOC R12/R10 on my GT350 and they are performing very well.
Have you tried out Castrol SRF? The wet boiling point is more important, especially in high humidity areas where I live.

http://torquebrakefluid.com/compare_torque_rt700_to_other_brake_fluids.html

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
If you can have a race pad that works better and lasts longer, isn't that a better way to go? If you happen to love Carbotech and GLOC, and if the pads work for you, then that's great too. To each their own.
C'mon, we all know that putting a novice or even in some cases an intermediate behind the wheel of supreme race hardware isn't in their best interest nor the drivers around them.
Sponsored