MT-82 fluid change

VTECSAUCE

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2015 DIB PP GT w/ RECARO's & ITR swapped '94 hatch
So having not found anything already written about this, I thought I'd be the first to do so. Sorry there are no pictures as of right now. This is actually the easiest transmission I have done a fluid change on yet. You will need an 8mm allen wrench (socket and ratchet won't fit on the fill bolt, not enough space), a hand pump, 3 quarts of gear oil (I used Amsoil synthetic gear oil, not synchromesh), something to catch the old fluid in and a lift or jack stands.

The only instructions I found to do this showed the interior being taken apart and the fill hole being right next to the shifter on the inside. YOU DONT NEED TO DO ANYTHING ON THE INSIDE! I was dumb and followed said instructions only to realize it wasn't necessary.

First thing you want to do is drive the car around the block to slightly warm up the fluid. After your quick drive get the car in the air. The drain plug is located on the bottom of the transmission. It's a black 8mm, internally wrenching bolt, It's really easy to spot out. The fill hole is the exact same black 8mm bolt, located on the passenger side slightly aft and above the drain. Loosen the fill plug first because if for some reason you can't get it off, you still have fluid in the transmission to drive it. Remove the drain plug next, drain the old fluid and put the plug back in using a little thread locker if you want to ensure the plug doesn't come out. Use the hand pump to pump the new fluid into the transmission, it should take 2.7 quarts mine used pretty much all 3. Fill the transmission until fluid starts to weep from the fill hole. Once you're done there, put the fill plug back in using a little thread locker again if you want and you're done! The hardest part of this process is reading the novel I just wrote since I can't post pictures for some reason :headbonk:Feel free to ask any questions!

My impression of Amsoil vs OEM- After I first went to drive it around, I didn't feel much of a difference. I guess the fluid just needed to be worked in? After about 3 miles maybe more or less, that's when the Amsoil showed a difference. I had an occasional notch in my trans with OEM fluid, almost like it was slightly grinding or catching a tooth of the gear as it was going in. 2 days of driving with the amsoil and that seems to be almost completely gone. There is still a slight notchiness to it but not nearly as bad as it was. If you're transmission is grinding, I'd suggest going to the dealer, this won't work miracles. I haven't had any of the major issues with this trans as I have seen others with. Just a little notchiness as I said. I have even power shifted this car once with zero problems, never grinded a single gear since I bought it. Not sure where the issues are coming from with others. :shrug: Anyway hope this helped!
Sponsored

2Cool

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ian
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium, PP in CO
OP
OP

VTECSAUCE

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)

That was the point of this post...YOU DO NOT GO THROUGH THE INTERIOR. The fill and drain ports are different from prior years. I cannot tell you how simple it was. I did it on base and they have hand pumps and all the tools I needed. Took maybe 10 minutes after I took my interior apart and put it back together :frusty: There is no way to even do this through the interior from what I could see. Maybe if you pulled the entire shifter assembly out.

Sponsored

2Cool

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ian
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium, PP in CO
That was the point of this post...YOU DO NOT GO THROUGH THE INTERIOR. The fill and drain ports are different from prior years. I cannot tell you how simple it was. I did it on base and they have hand pumps and all the tools I needed. Took maybe 10 minutes after I took my interior apart and put it back together :frusty: There is no way to even do this through the interior from what I could see. Maybe if you pulled the entire shifter assembly out.
Exactly, and exactly what I did, at the Patrick AFB auto hobby shop on a drive on lift. Used the cheap pump just like linked above. I even made a multi page thread on it talking about the improvement I had using Royal Purple Synchromax.

The link was just for picture references. Drain and fill plugs are exactly the same on the '11-'14 Coyote as on our cars.

OP
OP

VTECSAUCE

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
Exactly, and exactly what I did, at the Patrick AFB auto hobby shop on a drive on lift. Used the cheap pump just like linked above. I even made a multi page thread on it talking about the improvement I had using Royal Purple Synchromax.

The link was just for picture references. Drain and fill plugs are exactly the same on the '11-'14 Coyote as on our cars.
Awesome, did mine on Hurlburt. Our pump is just a universal hand pump with a hose at either end. Kind of a PITA. Weird your thread didn't come up. I tried using the search bar on the DIY's page. Nothing came up for key words, Transmission, MT-82, Fluid change, etc. I wouldn't know about previous mustangs, this is my first. I've owned strictly Hondas my whole life if my name didn't give that away already lol. Anyway, hopefully this helps some noob like me. I'll try to add pictures later if it'll let me.

Tim Hilliard

Happy Owner
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 Guard 300A PP Recaro
Yep I'll let Ford change mine and continue to keep a record of factory service so when it fails there will be no question :)

OP
OP

VTECSAUCE

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
Yep I'll let Ford change mine and continue to keep a record of factory service so when it fails there will be no question :)
Your car, your money. This is just to save ppl some ass pain in the event they decide they want to change their transmission fluid. I highly doubt Ford will ever mention anything about my trans fluid as I've already been to the dealer and they said it was perfectly fine and I am not completely incompetent when it comes to thing mechanical. It's 2 bolts lol. Kinda hard to mess that up. Granted my job consists of working on 40 year old aircraft the military refuses to retire to pinch pennies. :headbonk:

Tim Hilliard

Happy Owner
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 Guard 300A PP Recaro
Your car, your money. This is just to save ppl some ass pain in the event they decide they want to change their transmission fluid. I highly doubt Ford will ever mention anything about my trans fluid as I've already been to the dealer and they said it was perfectly fine and I am not completely incompetent when it comes to thing mechanical. It's 2 bolts lol. Kinda hard to mess that up. Granted my job consists of working on 40 year old aircraft the military refuses to retire to pinch pennies. :headbonk:
Understood 100% My car comes with a payment book, the transmission is not capable of handing the factory torque rating, I use mine on race tracks and when it breaks Ford will replace it because I follow the owners manual and it's under warranty and I have found no fluid that exactly meets Ford's Spec :D

Sponsored
OP
OP

VTECSAUCE

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
Understood 100% My car comes with a payment book, the transmission is not capable of handing the factory torque rating, I use mine on race tracks and when it breaks Ford will replace it because I follow the owners manual and it's under warranty and I have found no fluid that exactly meets Ford's Spec :D
I understand as well from your perspective. Letting them do all the work makes it virtually impossible for them to have any reason to void any part of your warranty. Its more of a peace of mind. I have a little more faith in my own mechanical knowledge and in Ford not producing a car that would fall apart with a simple fluid change. My previous car was a 2008 Honda Civic Si, and as much as I loved that car, the transmission might as well of been made of glass. Even with a pretty terrible transmission, I was able to pull 100k miles+ out of it by maintaining the fluid, changing out the cmc, smc, clutchline and clutch. Probably also helped that I didn't beat the ever living s*** out of it every day. Only on the weekends :D To each their own and hopefully this does help somebody out at some point like I said.

Renner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT SOLD-2015 Ecoboost SOLD
, I use mine on race tracks and when it breaks Ford will replace it because I follow the owners manual and it's under warranty
Yaaaaaaah ok.

Walt1120

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium PP 50th Anniversary
Your warranty on the trans would be voided for track racing as quickly as it would be for changing the fluid. Theyll try to stick it to you if they can, but if you know what your doing then neither should be an issue if the time ever did come ;)

Tim Hilliard

Happy Owner
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 Guard 300A PP Recaro
Your warranty on the trans would be voided for track racing as quickly as it would be for changing the fluid. They'll try to stick it to you if they can, but if you know what your doing then neither should be an issue if the time ever did come ;)
Track Days are spelled out in the beginning of the owners manual, it's a performance car. They can void anything they want even if you drive it to Church. Dealership relationships go a long way. If a record of regular service exists they have to prove the failure was caused by use outside the intended use of the vehicle. Now if you go in complaining about tire wear, brake noise, paint chips etc, expect to be laughed out. Ford also knows a typical track day owner is more likely paying attention to inspections and services than a normal customer and unless it is obvious that the customer did something to cause the failure it's a battle they wont bother fighting. Cars on a track tends to sell cars in the dealership to higher than normal incomes.

Track use service is not much difference than Severe Duty Maint. schedules.

S550 KID

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT premium pp
If you're on the track you definitely want to change your trans fluid out. Ford is on a 3/6 month back order on mt82 transmissions, ask me how I know. I'd like to see you wait that long thinking yay I got all my service records I'm covered. Haha doesn't work that way. It also goes by the master transmission mechanic, if he thinks there was a hint of foul play you're going to be paying for it yourself. I would change that out immediately to something that can withstand higher temperatures so you won't have to have your car sit at the dealership.
Sponsored