Sponsored

Essex/AP Racing GT PP front Heavy Duty 2-piece J Hook Brake Discs-Save 20 lbs.!

JRitt

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.essexparts.com
Vehicle(s)
S550 GT, PP
Hello Gents,
I posted some details about some of the brake products we've been working on in a separate thread, but I thought I'd start a new thread for these discs since they'll be our first available product, and they're coming soon!

These are heavy duty AP Racing discs that are identical to what we use in professional racing. If you're unfamiliar with AP Racing, they're widely considered the global leader in racing brakes. They cover much of the field in Formula 1, ALMS, NASCAR Sprint Cup, WRC...all of the field in Aussie V8, DTM, etc.

Below is a quick feature summary for our new Mustang GT PP front discs. We sell something very similar for the Dodge Viper, and you can check out all of the product details on our website. We're currently working on the webpage for these discs, and will have it up shortly.

• Designed for: Club racing, time trial, autoX, HPDE
  • Works with OEM front Mustang GT Performance Pack six piston calipers, no modifications required
  • Fully floating, anodized billet aluminum hat with float control/anti-rattle clips
  • 72 vanes for high airflow, low running temperatures, and disc face stability
  • Complex metallurgy designed for crack resistance
  • Ultra lightweight at only 22.6 lbs. per disc (saves 10 unsprung lbs. per side!)
    • Front OEM Mustang GT PP 380mmx34mm disc= 34.4 lbs.
    • AP Racing 380mm x 34mm disc= 22.6 lbs
Please note...the disc in the pic below has an unfinished prototype hat on it. Production hats will be anodized black for durability/corrosion resistance. Also, the disc in the pic below is on the wrong side of the car. We had that side apart and didn't feel like pulling the other side apart as well. :p

As far as I can tell, this is going to be the simplest way to shave 20 lbs. of unsprung weight off the nose of your car.

Our prototyping is done and we're moving into production. We will start deliveries of these in 6-8 weeks, but we'll likely open pre-orders before then. Stay tuned, and feel free to email me with any questions. :cheers:

These discs are almost identical to the discs we used for the Corvette C6.R in ALMS. People will be blown away by the abuse they can take on a racetrack.

Sponsored

OP
OP

JRitt

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.essexparts.com
Vehicle(s)
S550 GT, PP
NICE, Anything for the Standard GT/EB PP brakes in the works?

I really like how the rotor is slotted to allow it to expand from the hat.
Thanks. Yes, we will be doing 2-piece discs like these front and rear on the Standard GT/EB PP. The rear is the same for the GT PP, so we'll have these discs available for all of the high performance variants of the S550. The other discs most likely won't be ready until late summer.

Anthony@HTM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350 Track Pack
Thanks. Yes, we will be doing 2-piece discs like these front and rear on the Standard GT/EB PP. The rear is the same for the GT PP, so we'll have these discs available for all of the high performance variants of the S550. The other discs most likely won't be ready until late summer.
Great! I am looking forward!

Sponsored

Mikeyd56

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Black Mustang GT Premium PP
Would these rotors be okay on a daily driver that occasionally goes to the track? If It is okay what pads would you recommend for a DD. I'm pretty interested in the weight savings.

Anthony@HTM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350 Track Pack
Would these rotors be okay on a daily driver that occasionally goes to the track? If It is okay what pads would you recommend for a DD. I'm pretty interested in the weight savings.
100% ok to run these on the street.

As far as pads go, the Ferodo DS2500 is a nice street/light track pad.

OP
OP

JRitt

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.essexparts.com
Vehicle(s)
S550 GT, PP

Sponsored
OP
OP

JRitt

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.essexparts.com
Vehicle(s)
S550 GT, PP
Love AP racing products. My co-worker had them on his supercharged G37 S and was amazed with the quality and the performance of the product.
Thanks Brian!:cheers:

The front GT/PP discs are now in stock and ready to ship!

OP
OP

JRitt

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.essexparts.com
Vehicle(s)
S550 GT, PP
Has Ferodo developed DS2500 for the GT PP yet? Part number, if known?
Yes, the front GT/PP pads will be arriving in our warehouse soon. The rears are in development.

The front Ferodo shape is FCP4711.

We are currently accepting orders for these pads in the compounds below. The DS2500 and DS1.11 will be the first to arrive. Click on the part numbers below to order.

DS2500= FCP4711H

The DS2500 is currently the best hybrid track/street pad on the market. It features the moderately high bite and solid fade resistance of a track pad, with the relatively low dust and noise levels of a street pad. When used as a street pad, it can produce some squeal on certain vehicle platforms. During aggressive driving the DS2500 is known for its flat torque curve, which means as temperatures go up, the response through the brake pedal remains consistent. If you drive aggressively on the street, do some canyon runs, autoX, and maybe some light track duty on street tires, the DS2500 is tough to beat.

When used on fast, heavy cars on the track with race tires, pad wear rates tend to be higher than some of the full track pad compounds. Under those conditions, Essex would recommend the Ferodo DS1.11 or DSUNO.

DS1.11 = FCP4711W

The DS1.11 is one of Ferodo's latest race pad offerings. It has slightly less bite at high temps. vs the DS3000, but doesn't decompose nearly as quickly under extended heavy use on the track. The DS1.11 is known for its extremely flat torque curve, which means that as temperatures go up, the response through the brake pedal remains consistent. If you want a pad that you can thrash all day without having it burn up or fade, the DS1.11 is a great choice.

DSUNO = FCP4711Z

Ferodo has made great strides in pad development over the past few years. DSUNO is a brand new compound developed as a replacement for DS2.11 and it is proving to be an exceptional compound. While it gives up a little in peak friction coefficient, it provides a higher inital bite and flat torque curve so it is extremely predictable and easy to modulate. In addition, Ferodo has made great efforts to increase pad life while making sure it remains easy on discs.

Sponsored

Last edited: