Sponsored

2018 Mustang GT - Light Issue - Canadian version

orangina550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Hi everyone! I'm new here and I just acquired a 2018 Mustang GT in Switzerland.

My car was imported from Toronto, Canada.

After receiving the car, I realised that there is a problem with my lights..what happens is that whenever the car is on R, N, D or S - my nighttime lights come on automatically no matter if it's day or night. When the car is on P, the daytime running lights work perfectly. when the car is parked, I can easily switch between the different light settings (O, running lights, front and back lights on without the night lights and the Automatic mode). :brokenheart:

The dealership in Switzerland where I bought the car told me that the Canadian version Mustangs are always different, this time its the lights. There is nothing done except an electronic modification to the night time lights to ALWAYS stay on no matter day or night.

When we compared my car (Canadian model) with the Mexican model he had for sale, my car was missing the option of "Daytime lights" to turn on or off, I'm guessing it was electronically disabled or...?

Could anyone help me please? What can be done?

Thank you guys! :ford:
Sponsored

Last edited:

wanted33

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Convertible, 2006 GT Coupe
Canadian cars are required to have daytime running lights enabled all the time. If I understand what you're saying it seems the lights are working properly per Canadian law. There may be a way for the dealer to plug into the OBD, and turn the lights off. I know that can be done in the F-150's, but I'm not sure it can be done in the Mustangs. Hopefully one of our Canadian friends will chime in, and confirm or correct me if I'm wrong.

Last edited:
OP
OP

orangina550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Hi Jim!

Thank you very much for your comment, that helps a lot. It would be great if someone could help me out by providing the codes that need to be entered or what has to exactly be done in order to make it stock.

Pulpit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Black GT
Canadian cars are required to have daytime running lights enabled all the time. If I understand what you're saying it seems the lights are working properly per Canadian law. There may be a way for the dealer to plug into the OBD, and turn the lights off. I know that can be done in the F-150's, but I'm not sure it can be done in the Mustangs. Hopefully one of our Canadian friends will chime in, and confirm or correct me if I'm wrong.
You’re correct, daytime runnng lights are always on. It’s been like that for over 20 years.

wanted33

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
Hi Jim!

Thank you very much for your comment, that helps a lot. It would be great if someone could help me out by providing the codes that need to be entered or what has to exactly be done in order to make it stock.
I don't think you need a code. Dealers have an reader they can plug in, scroll to the right section (like the owners do with the cars DIC), and should be able to turn the DRL's off. Again, that's the way they can do it in the F-150's. My dealer here in the U.S. has a reader, and I would think all would have them. If your current dealer doesn't know how and, you have another dealer close by you could check with them.

Sponsored

OP
OP

orangina550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Jim,

If it doesn't bother you, is there any way you could do me a favour and ask your dealer what should / could be done?

If my garage dealer here doesn't have the equipment to reprogram it, is there a part that I can change for it to be stock? Light module?

Desperate to make this stock!

Thank you so much in advance!

CVCashmere

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Carl
Vehicle(s)
15 GT Vert w/Steeda lower brace, PP sways & susp
I have a Canadian version and the fog lights are H11 halogens instead of LED's.

I am considering changing the bulbs. Are yours also the H11 halogens?

CVCAshmere

Nitronorth

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rock
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Auto
i have cnd stang...You are saying the main night time lights come on? That is different than the daytime running light, drls. That would be another thing altogether. If you mean the drls, they are always on in daytime as a deterrent to death. They do not use the main headlights for drls anyway.., just the small strips above them..
If you mean this, cant help you as we dont turn them off here.

Bybcous

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 daytona 392
There is a setting in the dash to change this on my 18 in the usa, you may want to see if you have that option, its under advanced vehicle features on the digital dash screen

Sponsored
OP
OP

orangina550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Yes, the main night lights come on all the time no matter day or night and no matter what light setting im in...now I am looking for a way to deactivate that as here in Switzerland that law applies to cars which don't have DRL's...but the Mustang does, so I don't need the night lights on all the time.

I'm guessing I will need to access the On Board Computer from the port under the steering wheel, but where to go after I'm in, I don't know...when I called Ford In Vancouver, they told me that someone needs to be able to access with the Ford Scan Tool and deactivate the running lights which are set to ALWAYS be on..

OP
OP

orangina550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I tried to find the option of activating or deactivating - then understood that it was simply removed from the option list...

HeelToeHero

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT PP, 05 focus st
I have a 17 and the daytime running lights are the fog lights only. I would have expected the same on the 18s. I can't recall any 18s driving around in Canada with the headlights on in the day.

OP
OP

orangina550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
It's interesting, I called up one of the Ford Dealerships in Vancouver and they said that there is a law that the headlights have to be on at all times.

wanted33

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
Jim,

If it doesn't bother you, is there any way you could do me a favour and ask your dealer what should / could be done?

If my garage dealer here doesn't have the equipment to reprogram it, is there a part that I can change for it to be stock? Light module?

Desperate to make this stock!

Thank you so much in advance!
I'm heading to my dealer Monday my friend, and I will ask the service adviser. She's one of the good ones, and can tell what you need. I guessing though that she will tell me the same as the dealer in Vancouver advised you. Ford scan tool plugged into the ODB, scroll to the DRL page, and turn them off. I will ask to make sure.
Sponsored