Sponsored

Lund FF alch % queston

HardWork

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Base Oxford White
I ran two straight tanks of 91 octane and my alch/pct is still 28% is that normal? First time I was on full E-85 with 35 miles to E the second time I filled with 91 with 8 miles to go to E. But I still show 28% alch/pct. I reflashed but it still learned at 27.1 %
Sponsored

Sheenapple

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
Usually 3-4 tanks to get to 10% is normal. As you get more seat time with the FF tune you’ll see more weird stuff

I got 65k on FF with lund

OP
OP

HardWork

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Base Oxford White
Usually 3-4 tanks to get to 10% is normal. As you get more seat time with the FF tune you’ll see more weird stuff

I got 65k on FF with lund
Ahh ok thanks. How many tanks of E85 do you yourself run before you switch back to regular octane? I have easy access two stations 4 miles from my house. I was thinking of 2 on 2 off but I hear a lot of people say 2 on 1 off is good enough.

TnWHTMARE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang 5.0
Vehicle Showcase
Did either of you see Alex youtube vid on the Lund flex fuel tune recently?

Sheenapple

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
Did either of you see Alex youtube vid on the Lund flex fuel tune recently?
i haven't -- got a link?

for OP - i typically fill up every 3 days, i only put 93 in maybe once a month (3-4 tanks of it back to back to get to 10%) and throw in some fuel stabilizer/cleaner each tank

Sponsored

TnWHTMARE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang 5.0
Vehicle Showcase
[ame]

Sheenapple

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
i think he provides good insight but there are things i'd like to point out from my experience being FF tuned with 4 different tunes from Lund over 65k miles. i have no idea if this applies to others but this is my experience in detail.

there appears to be an ethanol "limit" so to speak that is configured within the tune itself. so the wide-bands are doing some of the work but there's also software helping/hindering.

example:

my initial tune from Lund (FlexFuel) i ran for about a year and some change; was for Roush CAI with the MAF removed. This tune was "capped" at 77.8% alch and never went above this

my second tune from Lund (FlexFuel) i added 170 tstat, & catless long tubes. I was told no adjustments to my initial tune were necessary and all would be good, it continued being 77.8%. However i wanted to datalog to be sure. This tune (my current tune for about a year and some change) is capped at 84% alch and has not went above this.

my 3rd and 4th tune from Lund (FlexFuel Cammed & FlexFuel Emissions) i made no adjustments other than requesting these two tunes from Lund. I just got through running my emissions tune for the last month (about 11-12 tanks of e-85). This tune is capped at 84% as well (i assume they just took my normal tune and made a few tweaks). My Cammed tune caps at 91% alch (magic)

all gas is from the same gas station, and just to throw another wrench in there - if i run one tune and switch over to another tune the alch % will be much different and will require 2-3 e-85 fill ups to get back to the "limit" even if i had been running 8-10 tanks straight of e-85 before the swap. Example i could run my 84% normal FF tune, and switch over to my emissions tune and get 50-60% alch % without touching a gas pump.

no negative feedback, but it's been an interesting experience watching this

TnWHTMARE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang 5.0
Vehicle Showcase
i think he provides good insight but there are things i'd like to point out from my experience being FF tuned with 4 different tunes from Lund over 65k miles. i have no idea if this applies to others but this is my experience in detail.

there appears to be an ethanol "limit" so to speak that is configured within the tune itself. so the wide-bands are doing some of the work but there's also software helping/hindering.

example:

my initial tune from Lund (FlexFuel) i ran for about a year and some change; was for Roush CAI with the MAF removed. This tune was "capped" at 77.8% alch and never went above this

my second tune from Lund (FlexFuel) i added 170 tstat, & catless long tubes. I was told no adjustments to my initial tune were necessary and all would be good, it continued being 77.8%. However i wanted to datalog to be sure. This tune (my current tune for about a year and some change) is capped at 84% alch and has not went above this.

my 3rd and 4th tune from Lund (FlexFuel Cammed & FlexFuel Emissions) i made no adjustments other than requesting these two tunes from Lund. I just got through running my emissions tune for the last month (about 11-12 tanks of e-85). This tune is capped at 84% as well (i assume they just took my normal tune and made a few tweaks). My Cammed tune caps at 91% alch (magic)

all gas is from the same gas station, and just to throw another wrench in there - if i run one tune and switch over to another tune the alch % will be much different and will require 2-3 e-85 fill ups to get back to the "limit" even if i had been running 8-10 tanks straight of e-85 before the swap. Example i could run my 84% normal FF tune, and switch over to my emissions tune and get 50-60% alch % without touching a gas pump.

no negative feedback, but it's been an interesting experience watching this
Thank you for sharing that. Interesting indeed. Ive not actually filled up with E85 just yet. Just tested a local station yesterday and it came out to 86% so gonna do it soon and load E85R tune. I'll see how my turns out compared to what your seeing. It looks like Alex has renamed many of his PID's because I don't have AFR Mature on my data list. Do you know what the actual trigger is for it to indicate this switch?

Sheenapple

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
i assume he's chosen a different PID listing, Lund may need to provide you the .DLE file to load up on your device if you can't find that PID in your current set. i use the "2011 PIDs_GENERIC_R6.dle" file, can't remember which specific sub PID listing i use but i believe it's ford all. i typically wait for about 10 minutes of drive time, then i'm good to go from there.

my 6 cluster is:

RPM SPEED
ECT SPARKADV
Alch% IAT

EDIT: one thing to note -- you do have an 18 and i have a 15, so the PIDs are likely going to differ and i have no idea if you'll find what you're looking for using my recommendation. i'd shoot in a support ticket to Lund stating which PID you want to see on your device and they can help you get there

TnWHTMARE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang 5.0
Vehicle Showcase
i assume he's chosen a different PID listing, Lund may need to provide you the .DLE file to load up on your device if you can't find that PID in your current set. i use the "2011 PIDs_GENERIC_R6.dle" file, can't remember which specific sub PID listing i use but i believe it's ford all. i typically wait for about 10 minutes of drive time, then i'm good to go from there.

my 6 cluster is:

RPM SPEED
ECT SPARKADV
Alch% IAT

EDIT: one thing to note -- you do have an 18 and i have a 15, so the PIDs are likely going to differ and i have no idea if you'll find what you're looking for using my recommendation. i'd shoot in a support ticket to Lund stating which PID you want to see on your device and they can help you get there
Weird...I couldn't see your EDIT until I went to respond. Again, very good point. I don't guess I need that PID, just thought it would be helpful to see the PCM "switch" once I get to the station and fill up with E85. Thank you again for the info! So, do you happen to know what is being observed to cause the change back and forth? Is it a percentage of change of Eth% in a given amount of time?

Sponsored

Sheenapple

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
Weird...I couldn't see your EDIT until I went to respond. Again, very good point. I don't guess I need that PID, just thought it would be helpful to see the PCM "switch" once I get to the station and fill up with E85. Thank you again for the info! So, do you happen to know what is being observed to cause the change back and forth? Is it a percentage of change of Eth% in a given amount of time?
that i'm not sure of

TnWHTMARE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang 5.0
Vehicle Showcase