2018 gas??

hmdballa219

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2018 shadow black mustang GT
Hey guys what octane is everyone running in there 2018 GTs? I have still been running 87 regular octane. I know in my ecoboost, they recommend 93 octane for a 15% power increase, from ford, and u could feel the difference. I don't see anything about these GTs though? Worth going to 93 octane? Or no difference,

Thanks guys.
Sponsored

bootlegger

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
Ex 2008 Mustang GT Owner
Hey guys what octane is everyone running in there 2018 GTs? I have still been running 87 regular octane. I know in my ecoboost, they recommend 93 octane for a 15% power increase, from ford, and u could feel the difference. I don't see anything about these GTs though? Worth going to 93 octane? Or no difference,

Thanks guys.
Ford recommends 91+ for optimal performance, but it is perfectly safe to use 87. No one has done a back to back dyno test on the new engine to check how much power difference you get with different octane levels.

OP
OP

hmdballa219

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
Ford recommends 91+ for optimal performance, but it is perfectly safe to use 87. No one has done a back to back dyno test on the new engine to check how much power difference you get with different octane levels.

Ok great, that was the perfect answer I was looking for, looking on more of the performance aspect, so I'll go with 91 then. Appreciate it!

Lonmon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT 10spd Base
I have been running mine on e85 for about 6k miles now. Of course this is with a proper tune for it. I would run 93 or best premium available otherwise for maximum performance on a stock tune. (Or if e85 is not available)

OP
OP

hmdballa219

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
I have been running mine on e85 for about 6k miles now. Of course this is with a proper tune for it. I would run 93 or best premium available otherwise for maximum performance on a stock tune. (Or if e85 is not available)

I haven't broke 1000 miles yet on the car lol. But I would be interested in e 85 when I 1. Find closer gas stations with it, and 2. I'm not tuned for e 85 so when I decide to tune I would like to go that route, so far now I'll just go with the easiest, 91 or even 93.

Sponsored

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT
I floor it with 87 octane. Hasn't broke yet. I think we are good.

codesx100

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang
I've used both 87 and 93 on the 2018, i would recommend staying with the 93, the throttle response is better and getting the full 460HP or 420 to the wheels is nice. 87 made the car feel sluggish and jerk from time to time when trying to hit it. This is also with running the car in Sport+ and exhaust fully open with Track mode. Besides its only an extra few dollars when filling up.

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
Run whatever you want. WDGAF.

4 ROUSH

NONE
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SOLD
I've used both 87 and 93 on the 2018, i would recommend staying with the 93, the throttle response is better and getting the full 460HP or 420 to the wheels is nice. 87 made the car feel sluggish and jerk from time to time when trying to hit it. This is also with running the car in Sport+ and exhaust fully open with Track mode. Besides its only an extra few dollars when filling up.
^Plus1........:headbang:

Sponsored
OP
OP

hmdballa219

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
Ok I'll be using the 93 then, not really worried about the price of it as I don't put many miles on the car yet, I just want the best gas for performance wise. So 93 it is!

michail71

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT 401a A10
I've run both. My past few fillups have been with 93 but I can't tell the difference. The first full throttle pull I did in this car on 87 startled me and I've never heard any pings.

The stations here don't have 91 so I may get a tune to take full advantage of 93. But the 2018's don't gain too much power with a basic setup but I think the tuners are still tinkering with this engine. It seems the ones that have made some bigger power jumps have been going catless and I definitely don't want to do that.

Just stick to a Top Tier fuel. That is what is most important.

bootlegger

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
Ex 2008 Mustang GT Owner
I've run both. My past few fillups have been with 93 but I can't tell the difference. The first full throttle pull I did in this car on 87 startled me and I've never heard any pings.

The stations here don't have 91 so I may get a tune to take full advantage of 93. But the 2018's don't gain too much power with a basic setup but I think the tuners are still tinkering with this engine. It seems the ones that have made some bigger power jumps have been going catless and I definitely don't want to do that.

Just stick to a Top Tier fuel. That is what is most important.
There is just as much of a gain to be made with the 2018 as there was with the 2015-2017. Even more with E85.

TnWHTMARE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang 5.0
Vehicle Showcase
I could be wrong here but I believe we (18&up) are a bit more vulnerable to lower octane fuel than the previous gen, if only by virtue of our higher compression. I clearly do not have very good gas around here because I never see more than 22 degrees of advance under throttle. Knock sensor is active. :( Quality E85 seems like a much more consistent option, though not always convenient.
Sponsored