Sponsored

GForce Driveshaft Impressions

Rodsaleen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Orange Fury Mustang GT
Here's my driveshaft impression. I installed the driveshaft last night and the installation wasn't bad at all. I ran the bolts in to help clear out the loctite which made threading the bolts in very easy. I did a test drive last night and it's what I would call an abnormal drive meaning I had the radio turned off and the exhaust in quiet mode. I was driving at normal highway speeds averaging from 60-80 mph, I did some 3/4 throttle accelerations to about 100 mph, and some normal in town driving. There was no vibration felt and as I had been forewarned there was an increase in road/driveline noise. The noise wasn't terrible but noticeable. On the drive back home I drove with my normal setup radio on and exhaust in track mode. I could still hear a slight road noise but I think my senses were heighten just because I knew a noise was there.

On the drive into work this morning the car drove as smooth as butter. I will say I believe the driveshaft is allowing more power to be sent to the tire because I've notice when I do a 1/2 or 3/4 acceleration the tires spin a lot more.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/36248588@N05/shares/6207ZC
Sponsored

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Here's my driveshaft impression. I installed the driveshaft last night and the installation wasn't bad at all. I ran the bolts in to help clear out the loctite which made threading the bolts in very easy. I did a test drive last night and it's what I would call an abnormal drive meaning I had the radio turned off and the exhaust in quiet mode. I was driving at normal highway speeds averaging from 60-80 mph, I did some 3/4 throttle accelerations to about 100 mph, and some normal in town driving. There was no vibration felt and as I had been forewarned there was an increase in road/driveline noise. The noise wasn't terrible but noticeable. On the drive back home I drove with my normal setup radio on and exhaust in track mode. I could still hear a slight road noise but I think my senses were heighten just because I knew a noise was there.

On the drive into work this morning the car drove as smooth as butter. I will say I believe the driveshaft is allowing more power to be sent to the tire because I've notice when I do a 1/2 or 3/4 acceleration the tires spin a lot more.

Questions:

1) I looked at your pics; is the 2018 factory GT driveshaft now aluminum? I recall with my prior 2016 EB Premium w/PP driveshaft being surface rusted, so that had to be steel tubing due to the surface rustling. I also recall seeing other 2015-2017 EB and GT factory S550 driveshafts on eBay where the tube was again surface rusted. In your pic, your removed factory driveshaft looks like aluminum?

2) What made you replace the new 2018 driveshaft with an aftermarket full length shaft? Exclusive drag racing or track time with the car?

3) The noise you are hearing with the new shaft, are you certain it’s not a vibrating resonance at a certain speed?

4) When you installed the new DS, how did you index it to affirm it would not have any vibes?

Thx in advance for your replies.

OP
OP
Rodsaleen

Rodsaleen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Questions:

1) I looked at your pics; is the 2018 factory GT driveshaft now aluminum? I recall with my prior 2016 EB Premium w/PP driveshaft being surface rusted, so that had to be steel tubing due to the surface rustling. I also recall seeing other 2015-2017 EB and GT factory S550 driveshafts on eBay where the tube was again surface rusted. In your pic, your removed factory driveshaft looks like aluminum? Yea from knocking on it and the feel of it it seems to be aluminum. This is my 1st S550 so I don't know what the 15-17 models came with.

2) What made you replace the new 2018 driveshaft with an aftermarket full length shaft? Exclusive drag racing or track time with the car? Its a in between car not quite a daily driver but more than a
weekend cruiser. Yes it'll see some drag strip time but not exclusive. I just want to maximize the cars performance.....weight loss, less rotating mass, the ability to handle power, and transfer more power.

3) The noise you are hearing with the new shaft, are you certain it’s not a vibrating resonance at a certain speed? I'm pretty certain its not any resonance. I talked to the tech/rep at Gforce and he forewarned me that I would hear an increase in driveline noise and I also asked a few friends that have put one piece DS in their cars and they all said the same thing so its just one of the trade off's of doing a one piece DS.

4) When you installed the new DS, how did you index it to affirm it would not have any vibes? If you are referring to clocking the DS there's no way clock it prior but I just took a sharpy and made some marks on each end of the DS just in case I needed to come back and rotate it.

Thx in advance for your replies.
:headbang:

keltymd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 PP
looking at the color of the metal on the factory one I would say it is steel not aluminum. it has that darker grey color and those welds dont look shinny like it would if it was aluminum.

GTBOB

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
'18 GT, Royal Crimson, 10 speed, Active Exhaust
Vehicle Showcase
The stock driveshaft is made of steel.

Sponsored

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Trent
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Mustang GT Shadow Black

Do you have the install guide for this by chance?

OP
OP
Rodsaleen

Rodsaleen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Do you have the install guide for this by chance?
I’ll have to look when I get home for the instructions but I remember there wasn’t any torque specs included so here’s the response from where I emailed them and I’ll post some pics of that helps.

“The adapters into the factory transmission and pinion flange will be 65 ft/lbs and the driveshaft to adapter bolts are 45 ft/lbs. I would also suggest using at least a blue 272 loctite. Those flange bolt holes are usually very precise, which can kind of make it a pain if it is just you trying to install it on your own, so I generally do a quick dry run on the bolts to make sure that they thread into their respective holes properly. The bolts going through the adapters into the factory flanges will likely still have some loctite in them, so running the bolts in first will help clear that out before applying final torque to the bolts”

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Trent
Vehicle(s)
I’ll have to look when I get home for the instructions but I remember there wasn’t any torque specs included so here’s the response from where I emailed them and I’ll post some pics of that helps.

“The adapters into the factory transmission and pinion flange will be 65 ft/lbs and the driveshaft to adapter bolts are 45 ft/lbs. I would also suggest using at least a blue 272 loctite. Those flange bolt holes are usually very precise, which can kind of make it a pain if it is just you trying to install it on your own, so I generally do a quick dry run on the bolts to make sure that they thread into their respective holes properly. The bolts going through the adapters into the factory flanges will likely still have some loctite in them, so running the bolts in first will help clear that out before applying final torque to the bolts”

Thanks a lot!! and do you have photos of the trans end. They sent me the auto kit and I need to see what the flange for the trans end looks like.

OP
OP
Rodsaleen

Rodsaleen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks a lot!! and do you have photos of the trans end. They sent me the auto kit and I need to see what the flange for the trans end looks like.
Unfortunately I don’t have any up close pics of the trans end.
8E738515-D0F0-4BFD-94D0-35968B590FED.jpeg
F68A7E42-4D59-481A-84CD-BE0DA5A83370.jpeg
DE802740-0B32-45A6-8B04-268947C4A6F7.jpeg
0D1C75EA-F8CA-4213-8FC2-D463803CE9D1.jpeg

Sponsored
OP
OP
Rodsaleen

Rodsaleen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
what did this bolt to on the transmission
dss.JPG
It bolts directly to the trans tailhousing. I attached a pic of my trans when I had it out but you can see how it would attach directly to it.
DA6884C1-6D39-4516-866D-5500F167FD57.jpeg

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Trent
Vehicle(s)
It bolts directly to the trans tailhousing. I attached a pic of my trans when I had it out but you can see how it would attach directly to it.
DA6884C1-6D39-4516-866D-5500F167FD57.jpeg
Thanks a ton! I see you have the 10R. and this helps me narrow down the flange issue alot. Now to see what GForce has to say.
Sponsored