Sponsored

Clutch not fully disengaging after HPDE...

OP
OP
AlbertD

AlbertD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT/PP
Finally got all the parts in this afternoon and got to work putting it all in. Installed a new pilot bearing, slave cylinder, Steeda clutch line, and Exedy lightened steel flywheel with their Mach 500 clutch. Also did a complete flush and bleed of the entire brake system as well as vacuum bled the clutch. Refilled with Castrol SRF.

First drive out, I immediately notice the springier/heavier clutch pedal feel which I like as well as can better feel the clutch system engaging/disengaging through the pedal whereas the stock clutch pedal had zero feedback. I was expecting some initial chatter on the first take off, but to my surprise it was smooth as silk. Shifting between gears has never been this smooth... even compared to when the car was new. I'm not sure whether to attribute the butter like shifting to the fluid, the improved clutch line, the new clutch itself or perhaps it was a little bit of everything combined, but... I love it.

Nothing but good things to say about this Exedy Mach 500. Now the torturous 500-750 miles of city break in. Hoping to drive the snot out of this banana so that I can make it out to the track day next month.

If I were to put a guess as to what failed, I would agree with some of the guys here that it may have been a combination of the stock fluid boiling as well as slave cylinder failure. When I pulled the slave cylinder out of the car on the initial breakdown the thing fell out in pieces. I may have been able to have salvaged the stock clutch system if I didn't limp it back home, but ultimately I am a lot happier with this Exedy.
Sponsored

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Finally got all the parts in this afternoon and got to work putting it all in. Installed a new pilot bearing, slave cylinder, Steeda clutch line, and Exedy lightened steel flywheel with their Mach 500 clutch. Also did a complete flush and bleed of the entire brake system as well as vacuum bled the clutch. Refilled with Castrol SRF.

First drive out, I immediately notice the springier/heavier clutch pedal feel which I like as well as can better feel the clutch system engaging/disengaging through the pedal whereas the stock clutch pedal had zero feedback. I was expecting some initial chatter on the first take off, but to my surprise it was smooth as silk. Shifting between gears has never been this smooth... even compared to when the car was new. I'm not sure whether to attribute the butter like shifting to the fluid, the improved clutch line, the new clutch itself or perhaps it was a little bit of everything combined, but... I love it.

Nothing but good things to say about this Exedy Mach 500. Now the torturous 500-750 miles of city break in. Hoping to drive the snot out of this banana so that I can make it out to the track day next month.

If I were to put a guess as to what failed, I would agree with some of the guys here that it may have been a combination of the stock fluid boiling as well as slave cylinder failure. When I pulled the slave cylinder out of the car on the initial breakdown the thing fell out in pieces. I may have been able to have salvaged the stock clutch system if I didn't limp it back home, but ultimately I am a lot happier with this Exedy.
Good to know. Thanks for the feedback on the Exedy. At some point I'll be replacing the clutch and that may be what it is.

OP
OP
AlbertD

AlbertD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT/PP
FYI... for anyone looking to replace their clutch... the computer needs to go through a "neutral profile relearn" process (also known as a "crank relearn"). Drove the car around for a bit after the install and started receiving random cylinder misfire codes. After a bit of research, finally realized what was going on. Seems like the computer is calibrated for the stock engine inertia rate throughout the rpm range... now with the lightened flywheel, it seems like the rate of inertia has changed therefore throwing off timing. Didn't realize these cars were that sophisticated. Pretty interesting.

Gave me an excuse to order up the power pack 1 kit so I can get a hold of the procal.

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
I had a clutch pedal get jammed stuck somehow (mechanic had it for an alignment), at first I though it was the clutch itself, because it clearly wouldn't disengage fully, but before I could take it in I got down there and pulled on it just right and it popped back to normal behavior.

Saywhen

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Harley
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt350,2015 f350 lariat,05 Acura rsx,19 gt 10r80 on order
My slave cylinder failed the day I was on my way to Ohio to pick my car up from FLP. Got halfway there and had to come back home. Car had 5k miles on it. Just dropped to the floor and wouldn't return. I've read a few other cases as well. Just throwing that out there for you guys...
Sponsored